Water birth

DohaRose

Reaction score
Hello all!

I am curious as to how many of you have had a water birth for your first birth? I guess to some it might not matter whether its your first birth or second etc, but I mentioned it to a few people and they were surprised suggesting that I am unaware of the pain I will be in and would probably want an epidural. I was hoping to do this but have gotten quite anxious as of late, so now I am unsure! Just wanted to hear your opinions/experiences/stories!

I'm a wimp and this will be my first time. I'm planning on a water birth as you can still have some pain killers plus the water is meant to act like one. I know lots of ladies who have this as there first time. If you change your mind you just get out and have epidural x

Heya! So I'm reading about natural childbirth types and the least painful ones (Yes please!). In my mind I came up with a conclusion that water birth would be less painful, or so I though? Anyone with first hand experience mommies? I'm a constant of this website called bestwaytogetpregnant and have also read in here the other types such as the THE ALEXANDER TECHNIQUE and HYPNOBIRTHING (just click the link if you need the details). How did you ladies decide which one is perfect for you?

I had an emcs but the majority of my labour was in the pool and I had no drugs other than gas and air until I went into theatre.

I would definitely recommend the pool! Once you get into the warm water my contractions got less painful and I felt so much more relaxed. When they took me out to wheel me to theatre I was like nooooooooooooooo cos I was so comfy in the water xx

I'm a wimp and this will be my first time. I'm planning on a water birth as you can still have some pain killers plus the water is meant to act like one. I know lots of ladies who have this as there first time. If you change your mind you just get out and have epidural x

Other than gas and air or paracetamol you cannot have pethidine or diamorphine in the pool as it makes you and baby sleepy.

Gas and air in the pool with paracetamol only ladies. And just be aware an epidural takes 20-30 minutes to have full effect. That's if they get it first time. My spinal took 5 goes and it was at least 10 minutes of trying just to get it right :,(

I ended up having a water birth with my one and only pregnancy! I was lucky enough to have a large bath in the delivery suite which I found helped to soothe the contractions. Things progressed too quickly for me to move out of the bath, so I ended up having him in the water! I honestly think that the warm water really helped - meaning I didn't need to resort to pain relief. Everyone is different though so can't promise it will work for you!

I've never had one as I had to be induced with my son, however I wanted one and I will want one if I get pregnant again.

My sister had one for her 3rd and 4th children and she wishes she'd been allowed them for the other two, she wasn't for different reasons (the pool not being ready etc) she says it was so much better, to the point where when she was told with the fourth that she wasn't allowed it she kicked off until they let her in.

I don't think it matters about the pain, as lots of people don't have epidurals for their first child and a water birth is supposed to be a lot less painful anyway - I could be wrong as it's been over 9 years since I was pregnant with my son, but I think they sometimes are wary of it with your first as they are not sure how likely you are to have complications? (maybe I'm completely missing the point here and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong)

If you want one I'd say it's worth asking what options are available to you, the only thing I would say is to be aware that if you want one there may not be a pool available when you go into labour

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back