Water Birth - to naked or not to naked?

YorksLass

Reaction score
Hey folks,
A quick random question for those with experience of water birth or who might be planning one...
I'm hoping to get one at the hospital when my time comes and was just wondering if it's usual to wear something or just to go in starkers? And if you do wear anything, what is recommended?
I wouldn't mind the nakedness (if the lights are bloody dim enough! lol), just wanting to know of your experiences and what was best for you.
Cheers! ;) x

I wore a bikini top and nothing else, they need to constantly check u so no point in wearing bottoms! I was worried about how I would feel but once I was in labour I didn't care what I was wearing! X

I'm hoping to have one and was thinking of wearing a bikini top, I have no problem with nakedness though lol x

I started labour in the pool and wore a crop top. At the time I don't think I'd have minded being naked

I'd like one, would probably go for an easy access bikini top, though not too fussed about being naked anyway. I would say to not get something too expensive or precious to you, between water, blood and baby poo you might not want to keep it.......

I work at a hospital maintenance department and our boys have found underwear whilst unblocking the birth pool drains....... One guy then found a matching bra three days later blocking one of the toilet drains from the post-natal ward too :shock: And no, we don't know why the woman didn't just use a bin either :wall:

I wore an old vest which was fine until I needed to get out! I'd stayed in too long and was in "transition" so I was shivering and just desperate to get dry but I struggled to get my wet vest off and it stressed me out! I would def wear an easy to remove bikini top next time and definitely make sure I have some nice soft towels (the small tea towel thing the midwife gave me did not get me dry!!)

Last edited:
I'm really hoping I can have a water birth, they're my favourite to watch on OBEM!

I spend a good half hour to an hour in the bath most nights and it's my calm place.

I'm also thinking water birth. I was thinking a vest top but after reading the post above think il skip that and wear a bikini top x

I had a dry land birth both times and both times I preferred to be naked tbh for at least the last hour or so of the labour and delivery.
Plus I wanted the baby(s) delivered straight onto me and not having a top on meant immediate skin to skin & access to the breast.

Also I'm much less 'shy' about my boobs being seen than my crotch LOL. So I kind of figured if the midwives were getting a good look at "down there" there's no point being modest over my boobs LOL!

This time I'm planning to home birth and fully expect to be naked for most of the labour (and definitely for the end).

I strted off in the water (had to get out due to complications) but I wore a very thin baggy cotton top that ud normally wear on holiday over ur bikini.
It was light and didnt before heavy when wet.
I sidnt want to be naked... But! Needless to say when they made me get out and back on the bed to be monitored I obviously had to take it off as it was soaking, i then laboured and gave birth naked with just a little towel over my boobs lol!!!
But by that point high on g&a i didnt even register i was butt naked lol!!!

Thanks folks - I might invest in a bikini then (since my old ones definitely won't house my pregnancy bazookas anymore!) wear that and then I'll probably just chuck it off in the heat of the moment lol
Or I'll tell my partner that it's traditional for the man to get in and wear a bikini too.
;-)

Last edited:
True - with a summer baby, who knows how hot it might be!

I think I'll be fine being naked unless it's cold, I'll have a bikini top just in case but I reckon I won't care what I am or aren't wearing once I'm in labour!

I had a water birth with my first and had a top on, then that got annoying and took it off and had nothing on, really, you don't care what you are wearing or who sees. A football team could of walked in and I wouldn't of given a hoot. It's going to be a hot room every hospital is too hot all the time anyway.

Haha- I took loads of tops for water birth but with back to back and no gaps between contractions I took it all off and got it, unfortunately it wasn't working for me though :( got moved tp high risk! Take with you whatever you think you'll be comfortable in and go with flow on the day x

I had 4 water births, 3 I was naked and last one I wore a bikini top and that was it, either way is fine the last think you think about is being naked and they do dim the lights x

I'm. Also hoping for a water birth so best invest.in a bikini top x

I had a water birth with DD2. I wore a maternity tankini (£3 off eBay!) and just took the knickers off when i felt I wanted to push. This worked well for me. The midwives weren't interested in down there until baby was ready to arrive (although this was in midwife led birth unit) so no need to remove pants before then, the only checks they were doing were of babys heartbeat and my pants didn't get in the way of that :-D x

I plan to wear an old t-shirt. At the moment I'm really uncomfortable with the idea of being naked. Might (or probably???) change my mind while it's happening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back