Washing & ironing

BabyMaker

Reaction score
Morning ladies,
I'm going to wash all my baby clothes this week and just wondered what temperature everyone has washed theirs on? In my last pregnancy my mum washed it all for me and she did it at 90'C to get rid of all the germs etc. It seems quite high and I'm terrified I'll do it and they shrink. Could I get away with 60'C?
Also, have you/will you iron everything?
Thanks,
xx

Morning ladies,
I'm going to wash all my baby clothes this week and just wondered what temperature everyone has washed theirs on? In my last pregnancy my mum washed it all for me and she did it at 90'C to get rid of all the germs etc. It seems quite high and I'm terrified I'll do it and they shrink. Could I get away with 60'C?
Also, have you/will you iron everything?
Thanks,
xx

I didnt even think of this :wall2: Will be interesting to see the replies

I . Wash whites at 60, everything else at 40. I . Also . Add napisan to help with germ killing

On ironing - with my first I ironed everything, now I iron t-shirts, trousers and pyjamas if need be... I don't ir on vests unless they're bad, same with sleep suits. I don't iron sheets.

Last edited:
I wash everything on 50 unless it's towels and bedding that can get away with hot wash. Only hot wash other items if a nappy has leaked or a little one has been sick on himself. Then I'd add a splash of Dettol laundry cleanser to kill germs x

I never iron lol and I wash all baby stuff at 30 or 40c. X

We wash everything at 40 and never iron

I have to iron some stuff because they just look creased otherwise and can't have my child around without an ironed outfit.

I will wash all babies stuff at 60 for the first wash and after that 40 for colours and 60 for whites. I iron outfits, trousers/tops/jumpers etc as I wouldn't want my daughter walking around with creased clothes. I don't iron mine or OH clothes. X

I wash most clothes at 30 or 40. I did iron baby clothes before he was born but to be honest life is too short to be ironing all his clothes, he's in them about 5 mins before they need changing again!! I find if I give them a good shake as they come out of the washer and hang them straight out on the line they are usually pretty crease free anyway.

Last edited:
I don't iron lol.

I'll be washing them at 30 degrees gentle cycle and pegging them out on the line in the sun.

I'll be doing them at 30 same as I do ours. Never heard of a baby/child becoming ill from not washing clothes hot enough lol
If they get soiled when they have a bug then they'll be washed at 60 or thrown in the bin!

Last edited:
Tbh we were told by uv not to over wash Andover sterilise things as kids need to be exposed to a certain amount of germs. My dryer makes things really wrinkly if I don't take them
Out quick enough and I never have time to pity hem away straight away so they crease... I don't like the smell of grass on clothes so I rarely hang out. I have a big basket of ironing to so tonight actually and some washing.

Ive done all babies on 30. Scared itll shrink any hotter!

I
Notmally wash mine & my DS1s on 40 though or 50 if its a tough stain.

But as babies is all brand new i just put a heap on non bio on 30 and its fine.

Ive ironed and urs all put away nicely ready :)

We wash everything at 40 and never iron

Our house too.

OH's shirts for evening functions we go to get ironed if they've not been dry-cleaned but that's about it.

DsS's (primary) uniform goes through tumble dryer and no wrinkles, he has the hard-wearing trousers from the supermarkets, comes out fine.

Baby's will be same unless there's actual sickness/bug causing vomit or loose poo etc

Lx

Thanks for all your replies ladies! I guess its an old fashioned myth that baby clothes need to be near enough boiled before first wear. And as for the ironing im glad im not the only one who doesnt tend to iron anything. Lol! So i will stick with what i usually do temp and iron wise:) xx

Most kids clothes have a maximum of either 40 or 30 so check the labels. We wash mainly at 40 and if there's stains I use napisan xx

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

I think, may moons ago though, they use to use things like starch treatments on them & scotch guard so people probably did a hot wash to remove remnants of this x

You can always add detol laundry or Napsan

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back