Wash it or flush it?

Jessiecat

Reaction score
Just trying to get my head round reuable nappies and I keep coming back to this question.
So if I went for a nappy that you stuff with inserts, Do I then just wash the inserts when baby wets or will the whole nappy need washing every time they wee? Or do you put a disposable liner on top? Or is that just for poos?

I juist can't work out how much of the nappy you wash and when?

Also these nappies that are in 2 parts, a waterproof outer and a fleecy inner the same question applies, so do you just wash the inner fleece pant thing or do you wash the whole thing?

Thank you

You wash everything every time the nappy is wet/soiled. When I was on resuseables I would end up with about six or seven a day to wash. With outers and inners, you don't need to wsh the outer wrap every time, only the wet inner part.

Disposable liners are for catching poo and can just be flushed right away.

As with disposables, you won't be changing every time they wee ( you won't know when that is!) but just at regular intervals when you can tell the nappy needs a change. The type of inserts you use will determine the level of absorbency and also if the urine stays near the skin or not so the baby is dryer for longer :)

Last edited:
I use pocket nappies, which you stuff with boosters. The whole thing needs washing after a change. I pull the boosters out straight away and put them into the nappy bin.

As Louise said, there are two part ones which have a waterproof wrap and an absorbent nappy/insert. You wash the nappy/insert each time but not the wrap, that lasts several nappies unless poo gets on it. These are usually more absorbent for night time nappies.

Liners don't stop wee going through, it's just to protect the nappy from poo stains. And also from barrier cream if you use it, this can reduce the absorbency of nappies if it gets on them. You have two options with liners, the disposable ones can be flushed or binned (not all are flushable and some flushable still are bad if your sewage system isn't great). Some people use washable liners which I think you have to scrape the poo off - not sure how it works on runny poo. Washable fleece liners are great for keeping bums dry though. You can make your own fleece liners cheaply by buying a metre of fleece and cutting it to size.

Breast fed baby poo is water soluble, and doesn't need anything other than a cold rinse in the machine before the main wash. Use fleece liners to keep bums dry, but don't bother about flushing. Once they're weaned and you get solid poo, it usually just rolls off the fleece into the loo, or if it doesn't you can hold the liner in the flush water, and /or dunk it in the loo to remove most of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back