Want to start BBT, any advice?

Sharcaz

Reaction score
Hey ladies,

I'm keen to try and start charting BBT, I've tried it before but kept forgetting! And if I set an alarm I'd wake up suddenly and wondered if the surprise changes your temp?? How accurate is it and when/how's best?

I've been doing OPK's, last month I got a positive over 2 days but this time nothing's coming up! So I thought doing BBT too will help figure out what's happening :)

Thanks for any tips!! xxx

I have no tips but will be watching this thread closely - I've never tried temping before but if we don't conceive this month il be doing it next cycle.. do you start on cd1? or after af has finished? x

No idea BonQui, I'm on cd20 now so I'm just going to start right away :) I was hopeful this month but the lack of a positive opk has thrown me :( I'm using the Ovia app to track everything! Good luck and fx for you this month, when are you testing :) x

I can try help with what I know but it's a royal pain the butt.

I've done it for a few months, so firstly you need atleast 2/3 months of it to get an average idea of how your temp goes and start the day after AF.

Make sure you do it exactly the same time every day as it will totally throw your chart off and you'll have to disguard them. I dont think it really matters about the alarm clock thing (as it's how most people wake anyway these days) but just make sure it is the same time and as soon as you wake.

Few little things, if you breath through your mouth or struggle to breath through your nose it might be better to do it vaginally but that temps gonna differ from taking it from your mouth. So that's nothing to worry about.

Also make sure it's a proper BBT thermometer (I didn't for my first month :().

Oh edit cause I re-read - Use Fertility friend! It's amazing with its charting (you can compare your charts with other ladies) and you get it free your first month.

Hope this helps xx

Last edited:
Thanks so much SpiritedAway :) Some really good tips there, I've got a proper thermometer luckily :) I think I'll start tomorrow just to get used to it then start properly next cycle! xx

Thanks so much SpiritedAway :) Some really good tips there, I've got a proper thermometer luckily :) I think I'll start tomorrow just to get used to it then start properly next cycle! xx

Happy I can give you some help, Thats what I did my first time to get in a pattern. But definitely use Fertility Friend it'll use your chart data to tell you when you've ovulate from bbt and cm readings. It's really helped me :)

Good luck with it xx

I've been charting for 4 years now. Here's my advice
1. Bbt thermometer accurate to 2 decimal places with memory function so that you can go back to sleep after taking it and then check what it is when you get up!
2. Exact same time daily
3. Take it every day all cycle
4. Use fertility friend
5. Monitor cm also
6. Make sure thermometer is firmly placed under your tongue with you mouth closed, hold it in position until it beeps
7. Don't stress about it, it takes a few months for you to see a pattern and get to know your cycle
8. You may get a pre ov dip when oestrogen surges
9. You may get a post ov dip around 3/4 dpo called a fallback rise which is a secondary oestrogen surge
10. You may get a gradual fall in temp as AF date approaches or a sudden drop in temp when AF due
11. Tww temps cannot predict pregnancy so don't stress reading things into your temps

Think that's it for now but happy to answer any questions I can for you xx good luck xx there's actually very good tutorials on fertility friend teaching you how to do it xx

That's brilliant scn thanks so much! Simple and to the point with all the main things I need to know so thanks :D I'll let you know if I have more questions :) xx and congratulations!! xx

Great thread thanks. I bought a basal thermometer the other day and am waiting for it to arrive!

Well...I was so focussed last night on remembering to set an alarm to take a BBT, that I had a vivid dream I did it and wrote it down. So when my alarm went off I thought I'd already done it!!! Think I need some practice at this! O.O gotta laugh :D

Lol, it takes a wee while to get into the swing of it xx

I bought one ages ago, but I was rubbish at remembering to do it. May have to try again!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back