Want to give Lizzie more veg?

xxbeckyxx

Reaction score
But OH and I are not big veg eaters (bad I know), so we don't really keep veg in the house as it just goes out of date before we eat it.
So I need suggestions for things I can buy that will either last a week or so or that I can cook in advance and freeze I guess.
Or maybe things I can buy in small amounts and feed as finger foods?

I don't know really tbh, just any suggestions with what veg you feed would be great!

Im so bad with giving Paige veg :blush: She has fruit like its going out of fashion but generally not much veg. If I make sausage cassorole then itll have sprouts, swede, potato, parsnip in etc but generally its just peas or lentils and occassionally carrots :/ Ive decided on a Sunday we're going to get a carvery so that'll bump up the veg count.

Id say if you're worried just do like you say, make some stuff up and unfreeze them or just give as finger foods on the side of meals :) Things like shepards pie, fish pie, chicken cassorole, stews. Random things like that!

The thing is that cos I've never eaten veg I don't even really know what goes with most stuff - wouldn't have a clue what went in a shepherds pie! I even had to Google how to boil broccoli yesterday :blush:
I also seem to have a mental block about her liking veg - I assume she'll turn her nose up just cos I think it's yucky! So I end up acting weird with her food which then puts her off lol!

Haha, well shepards pie is literally mince lamb (or you can use mince beef and it can be cottage pie) and you brown that off, put it in a cassorole dish and mix in peas and carrots (not cooked), pour some stock over it and cover with mash potato and shove it inthe over for half hour :) sorted!

I reckon slow cooker might be your best option though. You can just chop loads of veg (usually root vegetables) and put them in the slow cooker with some meat and pour appropriate stock and herbs in. You can buy the packets with the herbs and stuff in from supermarkets for chicken/lamb/beef cassorole for like £1 for 2.

Soup!!!! I make gallons of soup for the boys and then freeze it. Lentil, tomato, mushroom, leek and potato anything really and thankfully they love it. You could make it in the slow cooker dead easy and really cheap.

Cheers girls! Marcus has been going on for ages about getting a slow cooker but I couldn't really think what I'd use it for, but now I have a reason for one :yay:

Or buy frozen veggies in bags for the freezer. Jamie Oliver does a book on how to cook basic stuff for people that have never cooked before. Someone bought it for Me, and I'm a pretty good
Cook, but Some of the recpies/ way to Cook Veggies are brilliant; easy and
Quick.

Augustmum, I NeVER knew the difference between shepherds and cottage pie!! I thought I was she
Same thing. Good to Know :)

Haha, I only learnt recently! I was watching gordans kitchen nightmare and someone was selling shepards pie but with minced beef lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back