Waking in the night

Robyner

Reaction score
My Lo will be six months soon and I want to do BLW .
She's been waking a lot in the night recently however and I was wondering whether to feed her something before bed, I'm still deciding. Any suggestions as to what? Looked into baby rice but there are some suggestions that it's tasteless with no nutritional value?
She definitely wakes up hungry and only a bottle will settle her. She was sleeping right through from 9 weeks. She didn't used to have much milk and is on the 9 the centile, but now she wallops down 8 oz bottles 4 x daily and often more!

U can try baby rice. Alot say its no nutritional value but u mix with milk... So technically it does!
See if that helps? Or a mushed rusk? Xx

Baby rice is really not very good nutritionally as it's basically simple carbs (sugar in other words) and won't keep her full through the night.

I've heard mixed things on the effect of food on night waking, for some it helps, for others it makes no difference at all, some mums actually found it made night waking worse once they started with weaning(!)

Personally I found that carbs did nothing for night waking or made it worse (so no pasta before bed for our LO!). What really helped was fats and protein (basically mashed chicken, fish and other soft meats). This made sense to me as both fat and protein are very energy rich and should therefore keep her going for longer, just like having eggs and bacon for breakfast keeps me going for longer than a bowl of cereal or jam on toast :D. Apparently babies already have the enzymes to digest meat protein and fats at 6 months whereas the enzymes needed for cereals and grains develop much later. So they get more energy and nutrients our of these foods at that age.

So you could always start with some gentle weaning onto some roast chicken or salmon and see if that helps?

Last edited:
No that is not true the amount of milk is less than a milk feed and therefore nutritional value is compromised with baby rice. Fruit is much healthier. I started with half a sachet of fruit and now mix the fruit with wholegrain porridge from plum organics. Just try to avoid tropical fruits such as strawberry, mango and papaya until your l/o is a little older as these are higher risk for allergies.

Turns out, it was her teeth as a few days later she cut her first one.
Never given baby rice or anything mashed ( except potota if we are having it). as we are doing baby led Weaning.
I have given mango as wasn't aware it could be an issue, but had heard about strawberries.
She's sleeping through again now thankfully :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back