Waking at 4am

newbie1984

Reaction score
Hi all, looking for any advice anyone has to offer.

My LO is nearly 6 months and for at least the last 4 weeks (it's a blur it could be longer) he's been waking at around 4am chatting away blowing raspberries and shouting bbbbbbbbbb ddddddddd mmmmmmmmmmm. I've tired leaving him and he screams, I've tried rocking him and he doesn't sleep, I've tried feeding him which wakes him even more..... I'm at my wits end with it. Oh works so its unfair of me to ask him to get up with him at 4am although when he's off he gets up with him the odd day so I can have a bit of a lay in.

I don't think he is hungry as he doesn't want milk until about 7am, and he has a dummy so I pop that in but it doesn't really do much. I've been putting baby tv on the iPad for him and hanging it over the cot. His last feed is 11pm df but since he has been fully weaned 3 meals a day he only takes 3ozs of his df so I think he is about to drop it. Should I try hipp goodnight milk?

He is in a space saver cot so I don't know if I need to put him in a bigger one maybe he is bashing the sides and waking up. We have a blackout blind but he is in our room (1 bed flat but we are moving to 3 bed house in a couple months) I've put a bumper around the cot so he can't see me. I really don't know what else I can try but I know I can't be getting up at 4am for the rest of my life. Help!!!!

I can't offer any advice really but my little one is 5 months and has started doing the same. He is in his own room and cot so I know it's not size for my little one. I've done the exact same as you except the iPad bit so I know how frustrating it is. I've recently change his milk due to having a milk intolorence so I'm hoping he will settle again now but I'm not too sure. I've tried reading up on it and ive read that they are going through a lot of development changes at the mo and that could be the reason. If you find a miracle answer do please share!!! :)

Im having the same problem as you hun so will be stalking this thread for advice. If you dont.mind :) xx

Have you got the wonder weeks app? Looking at LOs age, it looks like he's mid leap which may explain the waking in the night! I know we'll try anything when our babies are up at stupid o'clock in the morning, but it may be that the ipad is stimulating him more!? Has he got a comforter or something that plays music etc? Ethan's got a fisher price glowing seahorse which I swear by! He's had it since he was born and 90% of the time drifts back off within minutes after I go in and turn it on.
Is he showing any signs of teething? May be that that's bothering him? If so, maybe try popping on some teething gel or powder to see if that helps

xx

Ditto the advise about comfortor or music? My little one has Ewan the sheep which he has playing before naps and bedtime so he associates this with sleep. When he wakes at 2am doing his little play noises (with wide bright eyes) I make sure I do everything possible not to give him attention but to get him back to sleep. So i don't give him eye contact or talk to him unless he is crying. I put him back to his sleep position (as he has been rolling galore!) then put Ewan on and leave him to fall asleep. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't and he can be awake for 90 mins when he finally tires himself out. His time when he wants to plays seems to be 2am! Although he doesn't tend to cry at this time, just tries to play and in trying to do this he keeps me awake!

Leah yeah he has a Ewan and a comfortor taggie but lately he has shown no signs of going back to sleep after I've left him for an hour so the iPad is kind of in desperation to get an extra half hours sleep. It really is my last resort type method but I know what your saying about stimulation. Ill just stick with Ewan again and see what happens....

Leah yeah he has a Ewan and a comfortor taggie but lately he has shown no signs of going back to sleep after I've left him for an hour so the iPad is kind of in desperation to get an extra half hours sleep. It really is my last resort type method but I know what your saying about stimulation. Ill just stick with Ewan again and see what happens....

I know what you mean hun! I'd try most things to get a bit extra sleep lol..
Yeah give it a go. You may just have to ride it out until he decides he wants to sleep through again! Ethan sleeps through 90% of the time, but does go through phases of either being a nightmare to get down or waking in the night for no apparent reason! xx

Elliott has Ewan too and he helps get him to sleep but I also find he lays nattering to himself and I have a bt baby monitor with a built in light projector but and white noise sounds built in too but this doesn't really help too much. I've also tried all the other stuff like keeping light to a minimum (have installed a blackout blind) don't talk to him and keep eye contact to a minimum but non of this seems to work with him. He barely sleeps during the day and I've tried altering his bed time and putting him down when I see signs if tiredness but again not really much of a change. I think he knows now that if he whines we will come because he's not actually crying with tears. These kiddies are to clever!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back