waiting to see the Consultant after 3rd Miscarriage

Balthazar1275

Reaction score
Hi i just wanted to get some advice from you ladies about what to expect at my hospital appointment.

Me and my husband saw a Gynae Consultant after our 2nd loss, we were lucky to be referred and he was lovely. He said as we have only had 2 early losses it was probably just down to bad luck and he didnt see why we wouldnt get pregnant again soon and go on to have a healthy pregnancy. He took lots of files of blood from me and my husband and said he would test for chromosomal abnormalities, blood clotting issues and lupus antibodies along with the normal full blood count. All tests came back absolutely normal and we went on to get pregnant a few weeks later.
Sadly when we went for an early scan at 8 weeks the baby had no heartbeat and had stopped growing at 6weeks.
We have now been referred back to the same consultant but the appointment is not until 7th November.
The clinic is just a general gynae clinic and not stated as a recurrent miscarriage clinic so i am not sure what to expect at the appointment?
What further test can i expect to have or should at least enquire about?
As me and my hubby are still actively TTC if we are lucky enough to fall pregnant before the appointment do we still go?
We have been trying for nearly 14th months now, i never expected it to be this hard or complicated to get a baby. I never thought i have fertility problems. All of my friends, family and work colleagues have all managed to get pregnant without any losses or problems, why me?

Michelle x

Last edited:
Hi hun,

Not sure how much help the general Gynae clinic will be but I will assume they know their stuff.

It will mainly be blood tests, they will need to test your blood for various things (to check for 'sticky blood, to see if there is any antibody issue, they will be able to check your hormone levels and also your egg quality and reserve etc.. They tested me for so much, I gave 14 vials of blood in one sitting!) and they also need to test OH's as well (that will be for Chromosomal issues)

They should also check you uterus with a scan for fibroids, cysts etc..

They should have all the bumpf when you arrive, but you could call in advance and ask if there is anything they can send you?

Sorry, I cannot remember the technical terms for exactly what they tested us for, they went through it all with us sat in front of the computer (the only thing we got in writing was that there was no issues with our chromosomes!)

I would imagine if you fall preggers again they wont test you, sorry but they are testing to find out what causes m/c's and without knowing that they are not able to offer any prevention.

Also we were told that a massive 70% of recurrent miscarriages remain "unexplained" despite all of the tests and yep we fell into the unexplained category.

xxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
Hi hun,

Not sure how much help the general Gynae clinic will be but I will assume they know their stuff.

It will mainly be blood tests, they will need to test your blood for various things (to check for 'sticky blood, to see if there is any antibody issue, they will be able to check your hormone levels and also your egg reserve etc.. They tested me for so much, I gave 14 vials of blood in one sitting!) and they also need to test OH's as well (that will be for Chromosomal issues)

They should also check you uterus with a scan for fibroids, cysts etc..

They should have all the bumpf when you arrive, but you could call in advance and ask if there is anything they can send you?

Sorry, I cannot remember the technical terms for exactly what they tested me for, they went through it all with us sat in front of the computer (the only thing we got in writing was that there was no issues with our chromosomes!)

xxxxxxxxx

thanks for replying Carnat, will they need to repeat the blood tests that we have already had as they were only done in April and it sounds like we have had all the ones you talked about?
i was surprised to be put on a gynae clinic rather than a specific miscarriage clinic too. The consultant knew his stuff the last time we were there and he is the only gynae consultant we have at my hospital so i am sure he will know what he is doing, well i hope he knows what he is doing!!!

michelle x

michelle x

I am awaiting my appointment too so will be watching this thread for info. Are you not able to ask to go to recurrent miscarriage clinic rather than the gynae, or is it the same thing?
I wonder the same thing, why us? everyone I know seems to get pregnant and stay pregnant, I hope we get our take home babies next time xx

I've just found my letter and it says:

karyotype for both Natalie and her partner is normal
artnerf normal
thyroid function normal
hormone profile normal
thrombophilia screening normal
antiphospholipid screening normal

It also says wishes me luck for my future pregnancy (I had just the day before got my BFP with James) BUT if I were to miscarry again they would consider a hysteroscopy

Not sure if any of that helps hun?

xxxxxxx

Last edited:
I am awaiting my appointment too so will be watching this thread for info. Are you not able to ask to go to recurrent miscarriage clinic rather than the gynae, or is it the same thing?
I wonder the same thing, why us? everyone I know seems to get pregnant and stay pregnant, I hope we get our take home babies next time xx

i will phone his secretary tomorrow and ask if i am on the right clinic. i work in the hospital so maybe if i ask nicely she will let me know if there is a cancellation on one of the clinics and i can see him sooner.

Michelle x

I've just found my letter and it says:

karyotype for both Natalie and her partner is normal
artnerf normal
thyroid function normal
hormone profile normal
thrombophilia screening normal
antiphospholipid screening normal

It also says wishes me luck for my future pregnancy (I had just the day before got my BFP with James) BUT if I were to miscarry again they would consider a hysteroscopy

xxxxxxx

yeah those were the test that we had done in April so they shouldnt need to repeat them.

Michelle x

Hi Michelle
I've just finished my round of tests, sounds similar to yours. They did day 1 and 21 bloods too, all of which were apparently normal. I don't know what else they will do apart from put you a prescription on standby for progesterone, as that's all mine did. If I'm being really honest, they weren't much help. They told me to stop usi OPKs, AS IF! :)
Hope it goes well xx

Hi Michelle
I've just finished my round of tests, sounds similar to yours. They did day 1 and 21 bloods too, all of which were apparently normal. I don't know what else they will do apart from put you a prescription on standby for progesterone, as that's all mine did. If I'm being really honest, they weren't much help. They told me to stop usi OPKs, AS IF! :)
Hope it goes well xx

i got day 1 and 21 dya bloods done back in February from my GP and they all came back absolutely normal too so thats something else to check off the list. i am hoping he gives me a prescription of progesterone to start taking once we get a BFP as i have heard good things about it, he did mention taking aspirin 75mg but never really siad when to start taking it so will ask about that too.
i know i wouldnt be able to stop using opk's i am obsessed with them, i hope he doesnt tell me to stop using them!!!

michelle

I'd ask about the hysteroscopy in that case (Or at least have a Goggle and see if it's applicable, as I didn't need it I never looked it up :shock:)

I am sure they won't repeat the tests hun but I do hope they have some other options for you? Something else they can offer?

xxxxxxx

Imagine stopping us ladies from peeing on sticks! We would be like caged animals! Haha.
Mine said aspirin was only good if your tests show that you need it, and it sounds like yours were much like mine? My issue is that after two 11-12 week losses, it's been almost a year and we can't get pregnant. I even had a cycle where I didn't ovulate at all, and it was 45 days long. Thankfully this one is normal and ovulation was confirmed by day 21 bloods (actually day 25 for me). I'm pretty sure they will prescribe the progesterone x

Ps: a friend of mine got it from the GP, it doesn't have to be through mc clinic xx

The rmc I went to wouldn't prescribe progesterone unless that was what was causing the miscarriages, as progesterone can prolong a pregnancy that would have ended [for eg if it had chromosomal problems].

We had all the blood tests as well as a check of uterus, and sperm test for hubby. Hsg would have been checked too but by then they found the cause of my miscarriages. We were at both the general fertility clinic and rmc. If my chromosomes hasn't come back as dodgy, we would have been referred for Ivf which is why I think we were at the fertility clinic as well.

Thank you ladies for your replies. I have a list of tests i can ask the consultant about now. At least that way i feel like i am doing something productive.

Michelle x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back