Vomiting in labour

SpinSugar

Reaction score
Hi all, just wondered if many people were sick during or after labour?

This is my biggest worry as I have such a phobia of vomiting and I'd take pain anyday over nausea.

Is it really common to feel sick during?

Do the MW give anti emetics quite freely? I'm thinking of having this as number 1 on my birth plan! Anti sick drugs on admission!

TIA for any replies

Xx

I was sick after labour. Wen I came down off the high from labour and was getting cleaned up. The MW said t was really common and nt to worry. Speak to your MW about the anti sickness drugs s not something that crossed my mind x

No I wasnt xx

mummy to ds 11/7/11
pregnant *team pink* due 12/9/13

I have mild Emetophobia (I am OK if I am ill but anyone else and I have to leave otherwise I get super panicky)

I was sick twice in labour - too much G&A - I did it in the sink whilst MW was out of the room and she told me if I am sick again to do it in the bowl so she could check it :shock: I was about 6-7cm at this point and still coping OK!

Luckily I wasn't ill anymore after that....

Pethidine / Diamorphine can make you sick so I'd avoid that and don't hit the G&A too hard. I used G&A for about 14 hours though and other than a a few quick 'bleurghs' I was fine

xxxxxxxx

Last edited:
I was very very sick in labour.

I don't know what caused it, but as soon as my waters were broken that's when the vomiting started.

It could have been the gas and air as I started that not long after then too, though I'm sure I wAs sick before I'd had a puff.

They gave me an anti sickness injection and told me to stop drinking as it was making me worse. I felt thoroughly crap at this point. I was sooooo thirsty and they kept telling me not to drink :( :(

I had 2 labour but wasnt sick in either of them. Felt a bit sick in.first labour at some point but wasnt actually sick

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

I was sick just before my waters broke. But I don't know if it was down to the pain relief I had been given earlier on that night. I was induced, so was in hospital from start to finish and had been given tablets (I think something with codeine in it) and was sick shortly after. I was sick in the bin in the toilet as I was having a wee when I needed to be sick. Poor nurses had to clean it up!

I was sick after bubba was born. It was so random as I felt fine, but as soon as they put the toast down in front of me, that was it. They can give you loads of different anti-sickness so I'm sure you will be okay x

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I wasn't sick and don't remember feeling nauseous at all. I had gas and air.

You're going to get lots of people posting they were sick on a thread like this, even the title will probably get more people who were sick looking at it. Have a chat to your midwife and ask how likely it is - certain pain reliefs (as others have said) will make it more likely. You may be able to plan to have an anti-emetic if you need it, but they're unlikely to want to give you anything "just in case".

Thanks all :) I have MW today so Ill ask her. Hopefully it will be my last visit to her but I doubt it (see GP at 40 weeks!)

Xx

Pain can cause nausea and sickness, as can G & A, if you have an injection for pain relief ask for an anti sickness with it only 1 needle as they mix it or swap syringes once needle in. Also the syntometrine (syntocinon/ergoometrine) injection for the placenta can make you feel sick, more than the syntocinon on its own (it is the ergometrine part that does it).

I felt sick about half hour before going to hospital and had a bucket in the car as I was convinced I was going to puke. I don't recall having nausea at the hospital, by which time I was on gas and air and went in the pool. So maybe it was the pain for me that made me nauseous.

I wasn't physically sick during or after though.

----------------
baby giz born 6th Feb 2011
next one due 12th Aug 2013

I was very very sick in labour.

I don't know what caused it, but as soon as my waters were broken that's when the vomiting started.

It could have been the gas and air as I started that not long after then too, though I'm sure I wAs sick before I'd had a puff.

They gave me an anti sickness injection and told me to stop drinking as it was making me worse. I felt thoroughly crap at this point. I was sooooo thirsty and they kept telling me not to drink :( :(

I was the same as this - it was G&A that made me sick - but they gave me the injection and it helped

Im the same. I cant manage sickness at all. I cry and panic and wouldn't need that on top of everything else. I hadnt thought about asking for anything. Xx

Sent from my GT-I9300

I was sick during labour due to exhaustion & dehydration in the hospital car park actually!
It was one of the reasons I was admitted in early labour.
I continued to be sick until my epi took effect. I had 2 doses of anti sickness drugs which didn't stop it

I was sick in labour but it was the gas and air that did it. I only used it for a little while as well. I decided to go without for most of the labour, as soon as the mw convinced me to try the gas and air again towards the end I was sick again! Xxx

i was sick but it was i had a massive chinese the night before and contractions stopped it from digesting properly and then the 2nd time was cos i ate half a sandwich to shut up a mw that suggested i eat something

Sorry forgot to add, possibly not what you want to hear this hun :( but the injections didn't stop it either.

I was so so sick.

It makes me laugh now that I was sniggering about the big stack of cardboard bowls when I 'checked in' lol

I was sick in labour, and was told that it's natural for your body to clear your digestive system. I suppose eating little and often would be easier to keep up your energy but not overload your system. They give an anti emetic with the pethidine without question and I didn't feel sick at all before or after that one time.
Everyone is different though!

I was after first because I ate before I was settled so put off eating for half hour, second no sickness at all x

Sent from my ST26i using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back