Vitamins, Herbal Remedies and What They Do.

PeanutButter

Reaction score
I done myself a list so I dont have to keep looking online and why things are important. So thought id just copy and paste it for you ladies... Dont know if it'll be any use to anyone..

L - Arginine
Increases blood flow to the uterus, ovaries and genitals. Improves the production of cervical fluid and improves libido. 100mg

Inositol
Part of the B vitamin complex, and is a known insulin - sensitizer. 50mg

N - Acetyl Cysteine
Reduces oxidative stress. Boosts the chances of pregnancy continuing past 20 weeks by 190%. Also boosts pregnancy rates by 40% and lowers miscarriage odds by 60% in PCOS women. 50mg

Betacarotene
Converts into Vitamin A or it acts as an antioxidant to help protect cells from the damaging effects of harmful free radicals.3mg

Vitamin D
Impacts fertility on multiple levels including boosting levels of progesterone and estrogen, which improves chances of conceiving.

Vitamin E
Increases the thickness of the uterus lining. Helps prevent miscarriage. Gene expression and cell signalling, which is crucial for getting pregnant and sustaining and healthy pregnancy.

Vitamin C
Improves hormone levels and increases fertility. Helps increase progesterone.

Thiamin (B1)
Converts carbohydrates into energy... (Helps fetus brain development)

Riboflavin (B2)
Helps the body produce energy, growth and good vision....(Important for fetus' bone, muscle and nerve development)

B6
Helps regulate hormones, lengthen LH phase, increase cervical fluid. If you are not consuming enough B6 this can lead to poor egg health. 100-200mg

B12
Helps balance hormones, lowers chance of miscarriage, increases fertility levels. Deficiency could affect ovulation and normal cell division - and could affect how the fertilized ovum is implanted in the uterine lining.

Pantothenic Acid
Essential for production of hormones and cholesterol and for the metabolism of carbohydrates, proteins and fats.

Magnisium
Creating and renewing bone, protein and fatty acids. Relaxes muscles. Helps build and repair all body tissue as you develop a fetus. Also acts as a stress reliever. 350mg

Iron
Women who do not get enough Iron may suffer annovulation (lack of ovulation) and possibly poor egg health, this may cause infertility and or miscarriage.

Zinc
Important for egg production, maintaining proper follicular fluid and hormone regulation. Low levels of zinc have been directly linked to miscarriage in early pregnancy. Also may help to reduce the size of fibroids. If men have a zinc deficiency, it could cause miscarriage, even if the sperm fertalized an egg and then the egg implants. 30mg

Odiene
Necessary for thyroid function, normalise levels of thyroid hormone. Low levels of thyroid hormones can cause a woman to stop ovulations causing infertility.

Selenium
An antioxidant that helps protect the body from free radicals, can help minimize the risk of birth defects. Can increase sperm count in men.

Green Tea
Helps the egg mature. Doubles chances of conceiving. Eggs may become more fertile. Helps the body produce more cervical fluid. Helps sperm.

Red Raspberry Leaf Tea
Helps tone the uterus. Lengthen luteal phase. Can help prevent miscarriage.

Evening Primrose Oil
Helps regain good hormone balance, controls sells growth. Increases cervical fluid. 1500 -3000mg

Maca Root
Improves sperm quality, increases libido and boosts enery levels. 2000 - 300-mg

Chasteberry (Vitex)
Regulates hormonal imbalances, it is a wonderful tonic to enhance the chances of conception through its ability to regulate ovulation and if taken through the first trimester, vitex will reduce the chances of miscarriage. After the birth, it helps a new mother to produce plenty of milk.

Soy Isoflavones
'The natural clomid' ... Helps ovulation and promotes good health.

Royal Jelly
Increases libido, promotes hormonal balance and boosts the bodys immune system

Black Cohosh
Brings on menstrual cycle, helps tone, regular function and shedding of the uterine lining.

Dong Quai
Increase circulation to the uterus, iron rich for proper blood formation, improves timing of menstrual cycle.

Shatavari
Promotes regular menstrual cycle by aiding in regulation of estrogen levels. Helps produce cervical fluid.

Ashwagandha
Improve Your Body’s Response to Stress, Increase Antioxidant Levels, Normalize the Immune System, Endocrine System Support, Helps women who have Weak Uterus and or Recurrent Miscarriage, Increases Libido, helps with iron deficiency.

Last edited:
Thanks for this! I've often wondered what they all do when i read it on here. Think i'll try the green tea!

I made a note on my phone earlier of two i'd like to try (as they're easier to slip into my day-to-day without forgetting to take a tablet etc), which i'll add here also in case it helps someone. But these may be so obvious, apologies if so i'm still learning the TTC stuff :lol:.

Brazil nuts - Around ovulation, helps with cm and implantation
Grapefruit juice - from CD1 until ovulation, helps ewcm

can I just ask what brand of black cohosh, soy and shavarai do people use? Theres so many?!?!?

This is awesome! Thank you for sharing.. OH and I will be going to the vitamin shoppe for a few things if there's no BFP in a couple days! :)

can I just ask what brand of black cohosh, soy and shavarai do people use? Theres so many?!?!?

I used these. Cheap and just soy, other ones have alsorts in x

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 17
You can pretty much get everything to holland and barrotts, tesco do have a wide variety too x

Could anyone tell me what they take and why?
Want to start writing down what i want for next cycle. i will be taking soy again, will be my 2nd cycle.

Cocker, the most important vits to take is vitamin E, D,C. Folic acid, b12 and b6. Other things play a role but I've read these are the most important.

Do you drink green tea? Ive been drinking 2-3 cups this month and found that ovulation seems to be better than normal and I actually ovulated, I don't actually know it was the tea... but i recommend it x

Excellent list, I missed it before. Might be worth adding
ashwagandha too as it sounds pretty good. :) xx

Ugh I get so confused with what's good and what isn't - I read green tea affected the absorption of Folic Acid and most people avoided it when TTC? I do like green tea but haven't drunk any since TTC, I am a black tea addict but have switched to roobio's tea which is a good alternative.

Xx

Last edited:
Thanks for this!! Can't stand Green Tea but I'm definitely going to start trying to get a taste for it!!

Just bumping for newbies. Seen a lot of questions about vitamins/herbs x

This list is really helpful, thanks. As it's all a bit confusing would really appreciate any thoughts.

I'm currently taking the Pregnacare conception multivitamin and evening primrose oil (only until ovulation). OH is taking Wellman conception.

My bloods and ultrasound all look good. Periods are regular and I'm ovulating reqularly. OH's sperm analysis shows low motility (though this improved a bit on 2nd sample).

Would be great to hear of good experiences of anything else we should consider taking. I'm looking at maca and green tea (don't like tea so it would be the capsules lol!). Have also read about coq10?

Thought it would be good to hear some experiences before I buy the entire stock of Holland and Barrett!!

Get hubby to take omega 3 tablet and up vitamin c & D (don't overdoes tho) meant to help sperm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back