Vitamin D on the news?

x kylie x

Reaction score
Hey girls x

I have just been sat talking with my dad who has just told me that on the news a few weeks ago was a big thing on vitamin D while pregnant.

Apparently doctors and widwifes have not been telling pregnant & breastfeeding women that they need to be taking Vitamin D suppliments..

Has anyone else heard this?

Has anyone been taking Vitamin D?

xx

I am taking it. It is in the pregnancy vits I take, but I also take extra calcium and vit d which u can get together. It was £1.70something for 60 in wilkinsons so they aren't expensive. I just take 1 (it says to take 2) and my pregnancy vits x

I got it in my vits from my midwife

Ive got it in my vitamins too from mw x

Last edited:
Department of Health recommends 10iu every day whilst pregnant but I omly knew this because I am doing a nutrition course! Midwife and Gp never told me. However it is in every pregnancy multivit x

I am taking Sanatogen mother and baby and saw the thing on TV so checked the label and it said it provides 250% of your daily amount of vit D or something like that!! I imagine most mum and baby vits are the same.

My midwife was quite explicit in saying they highly recommend it throughout pregnancy. I told her it was already in my vits and she's happy with that xx

I'm not taking any vitamins! Was taking pregnacare for first 12 weeks but they make me sick. Heard this thing about vit D on news but went to sainsbury's to get some and couldn't find any vitamin D. Maybe will try wilkinsons x

My midwife told me that if I had stopped taking folic acid then I should be taking but D and Iron but I just carried on with taking pregnancy multivitamins the Sanatogen ones because pregnacare don't agree with me and all is well :)

I got told by midwife to take it. I got some from Asda xx

I have been drinking something called Spatone, which is a Vit D supplement, this is mostly because I can't take tablets makes me sick, literally!!

I take it with Orange Juice everyday, my midwife recommended it when I said about not being able to swallow tablets anymore.

I'm not taking any vitamins! Was taking pregnacare for first 12 weeks but they make me sick. Heard this thing about vit D on news but went to sainsbury's to get some and couldn't find any vitamin D. Maybe will try wilkinsons x

I'm the same, no pregnancy vitamins agreed with me in the end. I make sure I get enough in my diet. Fortifed cereals and fruit juices, petit filous - I eat them like they are going out of fashion.
x

i took vitamins until the end of tri 2 and just make sure i have cereal n stuff now

HI everyone

I'm a big fan of Vitamin D!

I was Vitamin D deficient :( in pregnancy even though I was taking supplements.

My knowledgeable chiropractor (barnes chiropractic) advised me to get tested (I had no signs of deficiency; but he recommended it as good practice and said it's worth finding out your level when pregnant).

I was doubly lucky in that my midwife agreed and did it with all the routine antenatal bloods. That meant I found out I was deficient and was able to increase my dosage. :)

Some of my friends have been told they can't have the test so it's sadly not very consistent, but if you can find out I'd definitely say it's worth it. (The test is 25 OHD')

Best wishes, 2muchhomework! x

P.S. :wall2:I've signed a petition to get routine antenatal vitamin d testing for all pregnant women. Please can you sign too and pass it on? Enough signatures and it can go to the House of Commons. I can't post the link because I am too new to the forum!
Please can someone google the petition name and then post the link? Thank you x
Petition name :
Check Vitamin d levels as part of routine blood testing during pregnancy

I was tested with my Ante natal bloods as course and I got told my levels were a bit high!!, I stopped the Spatone for a bit and now I am back on it, but it's always worth getting checked xxx

HI everyone

I'm a big fan of Vitamin D!

I was Vitamin D deficient :( in pregnancy even though I was taking supplements.

My knowledgeable chiropractor (barnes chiropractic) advised me to get tested (I had no signs of deficiency; but he recommended it as good practice and said it's worth finding out your level when pregnant).

I was doubly lucky in that my midwife agreed and did it with all the routine antenatal bloods. That meant I found out I was deficient and was able to increase my dosage. :)

Some of my friends have been told they can't have the test so it's sadly not very consistent, but if you can find out I'd definitely say it's worth it. (The test is 25 OHD')

Best wishes, 2muchhomework! x

P.S. :wall2:I've signed a petition to get routine antenatal vitamin d testing for all pregnant women. Please can you sign too and pass it on? Enough signatures and it can go to the House of Commons. I can't post the link because I am too new to the forum!
Please can someone google the petition name and then post the link? Thank you x
Petition name :
Check Vitamin d levels as part of routine blood testing during pregnancy

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/28536

BellaRiven - how brilliant that you were given vit d testing as routine part of pregnancy bloods. I wish I lived in your area! It's all too inconsistent where I live and in many parts of the UK.

It would be great if everyone could sign the petition :):) (and pass it on to a couple of friends each and they pass it on etc etc...).

Then we can try and help every mum to be have such good service as BellaRiven!:dance:

Leesey - thank you soooooooooooo much for posting the link to the online petition. That was really kind of you.

(Petition link in Leesey's post above).

Thanks a million to one and all!
x

I take Vit D was prescribed it by the doc but those ones were disgusting so brought tesco own ones with added calcium. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back