Vet/veterinary nurse

leannie

Reaction score
Hi all

Just a stab in the dark, is there anyone who is a vet or a veterinary nurse? In need of some advice. I am looking into maybe becoming aa animal nursing assistant but cannot afford to stop working and go to college. Is there any other route I can take to get into this field and does it pay well? Or does anyone know of someone who can advise me?

Thankyou for reading and I hope to hear from anyone soon!

well i heard that if you go to india or somewhere like that , you can buy the qualification :lol:

Hi,

I looked into becoming a veterinary nurse (is this the same as an animal nursng assistant?) a few years ago. From what I remember you can study part-time but I think this is usually if you are already working in a surgery. The one thing I do rmember though is that the pay is not good, this is the case with most careers in animal care unfortunelty but I would imagine it is a very rewarding job. I did work experience for a number of weeks at a local vets and I loved it.

Have attached 2 links that will give you more info. Good luck with it all x

http://www.ca.courses-careers.com/veterinarynursing.htm

http://www.parkvets.com/careersandworke ... areer.html

Hi, i am a veterinary nurse - hope i can help.
An 'ANA' is NOT a veterinary nurse its a course that has recently taken over from the the pre-VN course and i believe you can do it part time.
A VN Veterinary nurse course can be done on day release, part time, block release, you need to be employed at a training centre, and complete and NVQ portfolio. you can also go to uni and do a degree in Vet nusring but you don;t get paid on placements, at least with the traditional vn course you earn a wage. be it small...
Wages are not very high ..i've been qualified since 1998 and am earning just over £14000 at a veterinary referal centre.
For a first year trainee you are looking of a wage of around £7-£9000 or a second year or around £9 - 12. it depends on where you are based.
you wll probably be expected to work weekends and nights, and alot of the work is shift work. I won't be returning to vet nursing for a while as the cost of child care would basically take 80% of my wage!! but i love my job and it is very rewarding if you get a nice placement
try the BVNA website they have various info on courses etc
www.bvna.org.uk
www.vetnurse.co.uk

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27