vet nurses?

loopylucy1990

Reaction score
any vet nurses on here ? so I'm a vet nurse and need to double check things I can do when finally become pregnant as dot want to get pregnant and carry on doing everything that could harm bbay.
I know filling iso machine up is a nono and gassing animals. anything else?

I am not a vet nurse but worked as a volunteer in a wildlife hospital when I became pregnant with my first in 2013 and a HR person so it is an area of interest to me.

Your employer should do a full pregnancy risk assessment with you which should identify significant risk factors like you've said and support you in taking precautions. Toxoplasmosis is something you might be at increased risk of if you have to handle cat feces or newborn lambs. I've found a website which covers risks which you might find helpful
http://www.veterinarywoman.co.uk/20...ations-for-pregnant-vets-and-their-employers/

I just quit my volunteer job when I was pregnant because I would be handling pigeons and vermin (they are all wildlife) and just didn't want to take the risk. I do have cats though and will clean the litter tray with gloves on.

Last edited:
Hi HUN

I am a vet nurse and my advice would be avoid aggressive or very bouncy strong dogs (not too much pulling you around everywhere!)
Definately no isoflurane filling and avoid long periods in recovery areas. Avoid all imaging/radiation and chemicals such as formalin.
Make sure all et tubes are cuffed and that people empty the reservoir bag of the breathing system before disconnecting the patient.
Definately avoid nitrous oxide! You should not be in the room if they use that.
Wear gloves to handle any clinical waste and avoid cat faeces

I think that's everything!!

Take regular breaks if possible!!! Not everyday but just when you can, they should get you to fill out a risk assessment too
Hope this helps :)
Lou

I presume you only do small animals and not large? We use a lot of cattle medicine and one of the things that is a massive no to go anywhere near is oestromate as it will make you abort. There are a few others too but that is a real danger.

Sorry I didn't want to read and run...gassing animals? Surely it's not legal in the U.K. Anymore and it's an injection? insaw that bit and honestly I'm stuck on that bit.

Hi yes small animal and we gas small furries for euthanasias and operations as our protocol

Oh with the mask? I thought you meant a gas chamber like they used to have! I see now cause small furries can't have injections thank you for clearing that up. Xxx

Not your fault Hun, i had a very evident duh day that day haha xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back