Very faint pink line, after a heavy bleed?! Help?

Scaredttc

Reaction score
Hi, I've never posted in a forum in my life but I've read quite a lot recently. I had an ICSI embryo transfer (my 2nd attempt) on the 22.10.16, continued with pessaries etc, etc and had a very faint BFP on the 2.11.16 and was overjoyed to think we'd been successful, however on the 3.11.16 I stated to bleed and this continued quite heavily for about 4/5 days and thought it was all over and we'd have to think about starting all over again. Long story short, I've taken another test (First Response) this morning, 12.11.16 and it looks like this, a very faint line. I don't know what to think, is it even a positive result? Could it still be hormones in my body? I'm so confused and really don't want to build my hopes up. All through this journey forums like this have really helped me, and I didn't ever think I'd be posting on one, but I could really do with some advice? Anyone? Thanks x

Attachments

• IMG_7372.jpg
    IMG_7372.jpg
    513.5 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_7371.jpg
    IMG_7371.jpg
    512.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_7378.jpg
    IMG_7378.jpg
    513 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_7381.jpg
    IMG_7381.jpg
    510.2 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Hi, I don't have any advice but I can 100% see the line which suggests you still have HCG in your system. I guess the only think is for how far you would be, you would expect it to be darker? I don't know, everyone is different and I really hope it's your BFP. Maybe one of the girls who have had IVF will have a better answer for you. Good luck x

Last edited:
HGC does stay for a while after a loss X wait til tomorrow and do another test and you might see the levels increasing again

So sorry you're having to go through this xx

Thankyou, it's probably nothing but it's hard to not let your mind get carried away isn't it. Thanks again x

Hi again, so at lunchtime I took a CB digital test, as there was a spare in the drawer. The results says pregnant 1-2. Is it possible that the hormone in my wee would still be strong enough to affect this test, because if I was pregnant from the embryo transfer I would have literally only been about 10/11 days pregnant when I bled. I'm really confused because it was such a heavy period like bleed. I've read that these digital tests aren't very reliable, what do people think of them?

Attachments

• IMG_7390.jpg
    IMG_7390.jpg
    508 KB · Views: 37
You should not be getting recommended to do more tests causing you more worry, you need blood tests and medical care, not POAS tests as they will detect any level of hcg, repeat blood tests will monitor whether the hcg is rising or falling and give you answers. Good luck.

I agree that a boood test is prob needed Hun. Are you under a clinic due to the icsi? If not you'll need to ring your nearest early pregnancy unit (you may need a referral from a doctor to get seen-some will see you without) but it'll probably be Monday now before you can get seen.
Fx it's all ok xxx

I'm really sorry you're going through this worry and uncertainty hun. I suppose there's 2 possibilities, firstly that your bleed wasn't a miscarriage and you're still pregnant. Or secondly that you've miscarried but there's still some HCG left in your system. I would expect your lines to be darker at this point if you were still pregnant so perhaps it's the second one, but obviously only your doctor can confirm. I'd definitely seek medical advice on Monday, I don't want to worry you but when I had my miscarriage I was told to go back if my tests weren't negative after a week as it may mean that things hadn't completed, which can lead to infection. Hope you're okay lovely xxx

So early on it is unusual for tests to stay positive for so long. It is also unusual to still have such faint lines at this point. There is such a thing called the hook effect that causes tests to get lighter when you are further along but I think you are still too early for that. If it was the hook effect diluting your pee with water can give you a stronger line. It does seem like a visit to the doctor would be best. They can do blood tests to check if your hormones are raising normally. Most people count pregnancy weeks from the date of their last period so if I am calculating right you must be the equivalent of about 5 weeks? That is probably too early for a scan. I would be worried about an ectopic pregnancy but I assume that is not possible as it was an embryo transfer.

Last edited:
Thanks to you all for your help! I have a scan booked for the 23.11.16, I spoke to the fertility dept nurse, who recommended to keep testing as and when until then, unless I bleed again. The only thing I'm finding confusing is that the positive line is much darker now than it was on the 2.11.16, which was the day the hospital told me to test. Plus, when I took a CB digital test on the 3.11.16 it said negative, and now says positive, so could my levels be higher now after a miscarriage than they were before? I would have assumed the line on the standard test would continually get lighter until it disappeared. I'm not really sure of my dates etc because this wasn't a natural cycle, I had an egg collection on the 17.10.16 and a 5 day embryo transfer on 22.10.16 so when I've looked on different forums etc people talk about DPO and stuff, but I'm not sure what mine would be as I can't really calculate from my last period etc, it's so confusing!! X

I can see how confusing dates must be. Ovulation is the day your eggs were harvested so you can count dpo the same as the days of the embryo. If you had a transfer when the embryo was 5 days old that is 5 dpo. To get the weeks of pregnancy you have to add an extra two weeks because doctors count from your last period. If I'm doing my maths right that makes you something like 5weeks and 5 days pregnant the way doctors and most people on the forums count it. I hope that helps some. You can double check on an online pregnancy calculator using the date of egg collection as the date of ovulation or 14 days before that as LMP.

Last edited:
It does, thankyou. Despite the tests, I'm thinking the line should be darker if I was pregnant. I just hope it's some leftover hormone and not something more sinister x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back