VBAC or section

Discussion in 'Forum Friends' started by tracyM, Jul 9, 2005.

1. tracyM

tracyM Well-Known Member

i'm being persuaded into a vaginal birth following two previous sections.

Our first was born in Jan 1993, natural delivery after 2hr labour

The second was placenta praevia and following a major bleed at 18 wks, I was put on hospital bed rest for the duration (in between 40 mile trips to nearest neurology unit as the were also problems with babies brain development). Section was planned for 37wks, but another major bleed at 36 wks meant an emergency section under general. This was in Dec97

For the third (Sept2000), we weren't given the option of planned section. Waters broke a few days after EDD at 5am and I spent the day in hospital. At lunch time, nothing was happening and was put on oxytocin drip to try and progress the labour. Every two hours, the dose was increased and by 9pm had progressed to 4cm. At 9.30, previous scar ruptured and babies heart stopped (she's fine now), and again rushed off to theatre for another emergency section under general. It was my birthday, so the midwives thought it would be nice if my daughter and I could share the same birthday!!

This time round, I want a planned section - so I can at least see the baby being born, and hubby has missed out on all 3. My GP seemed to understand, but has put on my notes that there should be a trial of labour again!! I'm normally very good at getting my own way!! but when all the medical professionals start telling you how much safer it is for baby to have a natural birth it's so hard to fight. Should I get prepared for a fight, or should I just go with what they say? Can they refuse to do a section (I don't have anything medically that makes it risky)?

At 4am, I even considered moving to another area where repeat sections are standard and you have to battle for a VBAC. If there are any really strong people out there, how do you do it?

Apologies for the long post,
    Tracy xx

2. tigger66

tigger66 Member

Hi Tracy
    I think the docs are thinking that you have had a normal delivery once so your body can do it and as the recovery is so much longer with a section they probably feel it will be the better option. If you really do not want a vaginal delivery speak to them when you go to the hospital and tell them your concerns and the fact your hubby has seen none of them born. Although they recommend a section they can not refuse to give you a section based on your passed history so just be honest with them, hope it works out for you
    Tracy

3. tracyM

tracyM Well-Known Member

Thanks Tracy

I explained my reasoning to the midwife, and she's booked me in for shared care?, section at 38wks. If I'd chosen VBAC (even if I'd have gone for a section towards the end), I would have all my appointments at the GP surgery down the road, or home visits, rather than traipsing to the hospital - there is method in their madness I suppose.
    Tracy xx