Vbac early induction with Cervical Balloon???

LYLLJellyTots

Reaction score
Hello ladies, anyone ever had experience with having this done? I have to be induced, probably at 37/38 weeks and because of previous emergency section and failed induction I was told they are going to use this balloon. From the way it was explained to me it is inserted through the cervix and filled with saline to force the cervix to dilate? The thing is it sounds ruddy painful x

When I was having my DS a doctor manually opened my cervix without warning me they were going to do it and I screamed, it hurt like hell and was awful and I guess I'm scared it will feel the same x

Any experiences welcome, even if it is painful at least I can be prepared xxxx

Thank you xxxx

I read a thread somewhere of someone who had this done but I can't remember where, I do remember it worked for them and wasn't a bad experience, if that is any encouragement.

Thanks for the reply Bunny, I can't seem to find loads about it TBH, and what I do find, some people find it horrible and some people barely feel it...

I think I'll just have to prepare for the worst and hope for the best? xxxx

Well I hope it turns out not to be the worst. It doesn't seem like it could hardly be as bad as the doctor manually opening your cervix, so maybe it will not be as bad as you fear. Can't believe your getting so close, if I go overdue we might actually end up having our babies at the same time!

Can I ask what your reasons are for choosing vbac if you're worried about this balloon? I've never heard of it so I'm intrigued about it, would like to know all the options for vbac for next time :) xx

I have heard about it but cant offer any advice hun. Hope you get vbac.
Did they suggest anything else to try and start the labour earlier? xxx

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

Bunny how top would that be! I get my induction date tomorrow hopefully =D

Leesey, quite a few reasons really, when I got rushed for the emergency section with my DS I went into shock, one second I was trying to labour the next he was here. I didn't feel 'right' for a while about it. Felt like it wasn't meant to be that way if that makes any sense? I want to at least try and have a natural birth, though in all honesty with how many issues we're having I will probably end up with a section anyways. There's the recovery from the section too, I had some bad infections the last time and I'm a big mamma anyways which makes healing from a section a little harder x When I was on the operating table in the emergency section I was very ill, I was being sick even though I was paralysed from the spinal and the thought of being back in that position scares me too. Either way I look at it, the thought of the pain of the balloon scares me, the thought of a section scares me. Just got to try I guess and hope for the best?

Thanks for the wishes Knopk, they have basically said because of the failed induction last time they would avoid all hormonal meathods and use the balloon. One of them mentioned one balloon, one mentioned two so I was quite confused tbh.

Been doing some reading on them though and basically they are the same thing, just slightly different. One is called a cooks catheter and ones called a foleys catheter. They are both known as cervical ripening balloons though x

Cooks - http://www.cookmedical.com/wh/features/crb_en_US/index_crb.html
Foleys - http://pregnancy.about.com/od/induction/f/foleycatheter.htm

So basically cooks has two balloons and Foleys has one but they both work by putting pressure on the cervix when inflated with saline to open it x I think once it's in and in place it'll be fine, I just need to not tense up in fear when its being placed. It seems to be a very popular choice with Vbacs these days from what I have read x

Last edited:
Hey my love this is how I was induced with Luna. I won't lie to you, I found the inserting of the foleys catheter insanely uncomfortable. Cramps right on the cervix quite intense and instant. However, as soon as he removed one or two (!!!) pieces of equipment I felt ok. It was done in about maybe 5-10 mins and once it was in I felt fine.
Mine only took 1-2 hours to fall out and came out with (Tmi) a huuuuge bloody show. After that I had some gel which was fine. Its not THAT bad but its pretty unpleasant for the short time its happening. And remember they only need 2-3cm to break the waters which is the main aim and when it falls out you should be about 2 cm. If you wanna ask me anything else you know where I am xxx

Aaah thanks chick, and thanks for being honest, at least I can be prepared a bit more now. I think it's the best chance we have of having labour instead of a section and at least we still have that chance <3

I honestly can't remember if you said you had sections with your other children before Luna? Is that why they decided on the balloon? I think I'll just bite on something when they insert it lol x

Yeah I was aiming for vba2c huni. The actual balloon insertion isn't bad its the having all the bloody instruments up there :lol: but you can have gas and air whilst they do it! I didn't though. Its the best way forward for a vbac. There's no time limit on it like the gel and pessary and drip. And you're free to labour however you like and can wander. The pain is only 5 mins and its over xx

=D Feeling more positive about it now babe thanks, I've kinda prepared myself for the stupid (allbeit) necessary amount of monitoring I will need in labour. My natural reaction when in pain is to curl up / crouch but the midwife basically said because of the blood pressure probs and the gestational diabetes I'll be hooked up to lots of monitors / drips once in established labour and lay down on my back. Being able to move around with the balloon part sounds good to me x Oooooo starting to get excited now! xxx

Oo, exciting! Well, I'm hoping our girl won't be waiting that long, but you never know!

You might ask if you can lie on your side for the birth. It is supposed to be a good position for high blood pressure, being monitored etc and it doesn't restrict your pelvis and tailbone as much as being on your back, plus I think I'd find it a more comfortable position to be in if you can't move around a lot.

I was asking them about this because being on my back is my worst nightmare tbh, they were really nice with me and said if they can get a clip on babys head to monitor her HB then all my other monitors can be moved about to whichever position I want to birth in, I think I will want to be on my front leaning over because birthing on my back will just not feel right? When I'm in pain I lean on all fours / rock / curl up x

Hopefully your buba won't hang on that long babe and make you wait! I am hopin jellytot will be well and truly ready for eviction lol x

I get where your coming from with not wanting to be on your back. My MW asked if I am interested in trying any particular possition, I said I wasnt too sure, I just wanted to wait and see what feels right, as long as it's not on my back! She recomended squating but I honestly don't know if my knees could take that. I'm kind of thinking being on my knees leaning over a pile of cusions or the back of the bed might be the most comfortable. I really hope you get options to move around. Sounds like MWs are trying to be helpful at least. I thought of lying in your side because I have read that it is good for situations where you need to be monitored, and cant move a lot so it is worth bearing in mind when things are not ideal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back