varicocele removal

Discussion in 'Long Term TTC & Fertility Issues' started by YvonneM, Jul 12, 2013.

1. YvonneM

YvonneM Well-Known Member

So the hubby had a scan which confirmed a couple of large grade 3 varicoceles which have over the years depleted his sperm to the point he s now considered infertile. He is getting an op next month to remove them. There are mixed reports and little evidence of whether this enhances sperm. The doc said it prob won't raise his sperm count much but will hopefully save what is left so it's worth gettiing it done while we wait our turn for ICSI.
    Do any of you ladies have any experience of varicoceles? If so did ur hubby have them removed and did it improve sperm? Xxx

2. snowbee

snowbee Well-Known Member

I had an ex who had this op while I was seeing him (we weren't ttc it was just something that came about at the time). He went on to father at least one child that I know about, so it is possible.

3. FBTTN8079

FBTTN8079 Well-Known Member

Hey honey

My oh currently has sub normal count of 6.4 million and he was worried as he has a lump which is painless and has stayed the same since his late teens

He read up on varioceles (sorry spelling!) and was worried it may be something like that so he has a scan 10th August to find out x

It's so hard he's really struggling with it all, I wish I could take it and deal with it myself xxx

BabyDust *****

4. YvonneM

Sorry Hun just saw ur post! Yeh i sometimes feel its worse when it's ur hubby who has the problems as I wish I could take it all away from him. I feel men just aren't as good with hospitals/appointments/ops etc than us woman :-(
    I really empathise with u and ur hubby as we r in a similar position and I kno what it's like trying to get ur own head round it all without getting too upset in front of ur hubby. I felt like I couldn't get upset and had to stay positive to be strong for him. He's a bit anxious bout the whole op but it's meant to be pretty straight forward and under local anaesthetic which is good.
    Let me kno how ur hubby gets on with scan, and if it does turn out to be varicoceles they can always remove them and there's always a chance that it can enhance his sperm production post op :)
    Chin up chick and feel free to pm me if u want to chat xxx

5. mrs nel

mrs nel Well-Known Member

Hey Yvonne
    How are things?
    Xx

6. gemmainthesun

gemmainthesun Well-Known Member

They never mentioned this to my husband? How do you know if you have them? Although saying that his sperm count fluctuated from 4 mil to 16 but low on other stuff too? X

7. YvonneM

He was given an examination done below and said his was grade 3 varicoceles as they showed thru the skin. They look like normal veins to Mr but they r very prominent hubby never had any idea that it wasnt normal :-( xxx

8. FBTTN8079

FBTTN8079 Well-Known Member

Hey Yvonne how's everything. X

BabyDust *****

9. YvonneM

Hiya yeh I'm ok how bout u? Hubby is still a bit tender but holding up lol! Men don't make v good patients lol. He's really hoping that Ian few months down the line there will be an improvement in his sperm. The urologist thinks it's a long shot but by having the op it should at worst save the sperm that is there which will be beneficial when it comes to ICSI. Got some annual leave coming up so def goin to take some time for us and have a few nights away as all of this fertility stress has got inbetween us a bit so def time for some TLC :) xxx