Using a dummy?

Bek234

Reaction score
Anyone using a dummy?

Baby is only 2wks old but loves having her dummy but keeps dropping it and crying for it so I keep having to put it back in, obviously I can't keep doing this so I've not given it to her much.

She does suck it but drops it or spits it out then cries for it. How can I teach her to keep it for a while? Or is it just a case of waiting till she learns? Xx

Tapatalking. X

At 2 weeks they are very new so.have to.learn lots. My 2 never took to dummies, just never liked them. Solved the problem of taking it away.
Try tapping it with your finger, which brand are you using?

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

I swore I wouldnt, but we ended up using one from day 5 I think! I only let JJ have it for naps during the day - he doesnt have it at night at all. He dropped it quite alot to begin with, but is better now at retaining it - although, he just spits it out if he's feeling cheeky :)

For now you will have to just keep popping it back in :) xx

*Edited...we bought a couple of orthopaedic dummies to begin with (they are tapered and quite flat) - but he ended up preferring the cheap and cheerful traditional cherry end type - I wonder if these are easier for a bubba to keep in, due to the shape? xx

Last edited:
We have the orthopaedic ones from boots, think they're called 'nuby'.
Ill keep putting it back for now then :)
She loves it but drops it a lot!! Lol xx

Tapatalking. X

My boy's another one who loves cherry dummies. He won't take any other dummies. I got him those nuby ones and he hates them. I keep the dummy for sleep time only, it's the only way I can get him to sleep in the day!

I've just given her a different nuby one, still orthopaedic but it looks more flat than the other did and she's holding it better.
H will only be having it for sleep times too....for now lol xx

Tapatalking. X

Cherry dummy for Cay, too.
Or a flat one when we're out.

Those tapered ones do nothin for him.

He wouldn't take a dummy until about two months old. Xx

Only ones that Aaron could take we're MAM but he couldn't keep them in himself for quite a while (due to DS though)

Tapatalking!

Only ones Kaiden could keep in were cherry teat too, and then he would only take those. He now likes the mam ones with non slip teat! Xx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

my boy used the tommy tippee ones that had a good teat shape- recommended by midwives as they are closest thing to nipple shape ,just like their bottles.
He would drop them esp when sleeping but that got better as he got older .then at 6 months he got a cold and went off dummies completely when he had a blocked nose, so didnt have to wean him off either!

It seems to be quite common for LOs to struggle to keep the orthopaedic ones in. We use avent which are a bit flatter than a cherry type

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

Eliza only likes the gumdrop pacifier's has to be difficult lol x

I never wanted mine to have a dummy and the day we bought her home she kept sucking on anything. Luckily we had the Avent new born set and it came with a dummy so tried her with that and she loved it straight away! She sometimes does the spit out thing and cries for it so we tap it for a while and then she is doing calm sucking rather than the manic sucking which tends to make it fall out. xxx

I've always used mam silk teats for my LO. We've generally always restricted her having a dummy for sleeping and in the car though so hopefully it won't be too hard to wean her off it when the time comes. X

I've always used mam silk teats for my LO. We've generally always restricted her having a dummy for sleeping and in the car though so hopefully it won't be too hard to wean her off it when the time comes. X

Wss ^^

Using tapatalk can't see tickers

I used a dummy with MJ from around one week old, we used the Avent ones to start with but he had problems keeping them in so I changed to MAM ones and they worked better.

He had a cold around 6months old so couldn't use his dummy for a week and we just never gave him it once he was over the cold. nearly 9 months now and he doesn't look for it but it was definitely useful in those first few months for soothing and settling! x

We used avent and he was always fine with them. Most of them are orthodontic now anyway x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I hadnt p, anned on using o e but after a few bad nights I gave him one, we use the mam 0+ one for newborns he seems to like it

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back