URGENT- should I take my son to A&E??

Emily fox

Reaction score
Hello,

It started yesterday when my 15 year old Son who has ASD and ADHD came to me around 1:30 PM yesterday and said that his shoulder hurts slightly and that his tounge makes a “clicking noise when I swallow” , tbh I thought nothing of it at this point. Right before he went to bed he said that his “foot hurts ever so slightly”.

However about an hour ago, he said that he has a pain in his throat not a sore throat but a pain in it and that his jaw hurts. I rang 111, was on hold for 40 mins while on hold he threw up three times, the women on 111 said it was “nothing”. But I honestly don’t think its nothing. Should I take him to A&E to be on the safe side???

As I was typing the above, he has just come back and said that his “whole mouth feels weird” as he describes it but doesn’t know how to explain it in more detail.

If we go to A&E, if he has to go onto a ward, would he be put onto a children’s/pediatric ward?

Would I be able to stay with him?

I am aware that we would be kept well away from any suspected or confirmed covid patients.

Trust your gut. Better to be safe than sorry. If you feel he’s not right go down to a&e. As far as I’m aware 15 would still be a children’s ward yes and one parent is allowed to stay, but it might not come to that.
Hope all goes well.

How is he now?
Did u go to A&E?
Always follow your instinct

Sorry for the delay in coming back to you.

Yes we did to go to A&E.

We are now on a pediatric/children’s ward and I am allowed to stay with him.

The doctor needs to do a few more tests before they can say for certain what it is.

At first I said to her that I was a bit conscious about bringing him to A&E and she said that they would “rather see and check a child and tell you that they will be ok to go home and that it will pass than you keep your child at home and it turns out be something dangerous which could have been dealt with if you had came in sooner and then would have been less dangerous”.

She also said that some of the advice 111 has given out to parents was not to come to A&E with their children as “hospitals are now dangerous” she has assured me they are not dangerous. She said that some children have died or been seriously injured because of 111 telling not to come to A&E and when they did come it was too late to stop them from being injured seriously or dying whereas if they had ignored the 111 advice and came straight away they wouldn’t have died or got seriously injured.

She said that the advice that 111 is giving out about A&E is wrong and is very dangerous.

Please even if you are an adult, go to A&E if you need to.

Covid patients are being keep completely separate and that area of the hospital is completely isolated.

She said to tell everyone I know they that they should come to A&E or call 999 if they need to and to trust your instinct even if you are an adult and don’t have a child you should still go if you need to.

I will provide more updates when I have them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad that you went to A&E and hope your son is ok.
I work in NICU and one of our consultants put a message out on social media to please bring your child in if any concerns at all. Children were arriving critically unwell and like you were told we would rather see them and send them home than seeing them too late.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back