URGENT: advice please

violet13

Reaction score
Hi all after a horrific night, I've accidentally given my 8 month old two 5ml spoons of calpol, he hasn't had all of it and it wasn't a full spoon I'm exhausted and I didn't mean to and now I'm freakinf out he's not well either thanks to friends kids as they know it hits him hard. Please advice I'm going to call my dr

Check the back of the box hun, as that will tell you what to do in the event of overdose.

XX

Thank you it just says to contact my dr I am freaking out. I have an hour till my Drs open

Maybe try 111? See what they say while you're waiting for Dr's to open? Sure it will be OK xx

I may actually thank you, I've never ever done that before I'm just exhausted

Don't ask on the internet but phone 111, pharmacy, gp or any other medical professional as people on the Internet are not qualified to give such medical advise! P

I rang 111, they said he'd be fine just not to give him a next dose of calpol but to use ibuprofen instead and just wait longer to give it. I don't think I've ever been so scared. JD, I asked on here because it's a forum for mums and I'm a ftm I genuinely asked because I have had good advice from here and my Drs surgery wasn't open and I was panicking.

Hopefully your in less of a panic now my lovely. Hope he gets better soon- but Don't give him ibuprofen if you think he has chicken pox, apparently there's something in the chicken pox virus that mixed with ibuprofen causes sepsis xxx

Glad that 111 helped Violet, accidents happen and I know the feeling when you are completely exhausted!! My brain is mush half the time as it is!! Don't worry about it now hun and just focus on getting your wee one better xxx

Hey hun, I'm a children's nurse. Try not to worry it really will be okay! They're absolutely right, just miss a dose and give ibuprofen (nurofen) if you feel he needs it. You would need to have given a lot more to cause any reactions. Just keep an eye on him and miss the dose. He'll be fine! Don't beat yourself up, it's easily done xx

Last edited:
It's easily done, especially if you have two tired parents up in the night not keeping track of when the other has given medicine!!

If it makes you feel any better when my LO was running a high fever and we had to go to A&E they gave him a double dose to get his temp down. Not saying though that people read that and then start double dosing!! x

Thanks ladies, I'm much calmer he's had no more calpol except about 10 mins ago and it was just the one dose he's had no ibuprofen either. He's very snuffly so a hot bath( not literally) and plenty of cuddles and I've propped up his cot a little xxx

My gp told me I could give my son 10ml when he was 1 and I was horrified because I thought that would be way too much. Obviously not! Glad your ok and got the advice you needed. Xx

I think the dosage used to be higher but they shortened it as people were purposefully dosing kids, well I'm sure I heard that somewhere ages ago.

Anyway it is easily done. I've given Jackson a dose an hour too early before and all was well I just hung off.

Don't worry. Its like if we took an extra paracetamol one off probably harmless.

xxxx

I think the dosage used to be higher but they shortened it as people were purposefully dosing kids, well I'm sure I heard that somewhere ages ago.

Anyway it is easily done. I've given Jackson a dose an hour too early before and all was well I just hung off.

Don't worry. Its like if we took an extra paracetamol one off probably harmless.

xxxx

Different types seem to have different doses. I accidentally gave my eldest too much nurofen once cos we had got a shops own one that said he could have 5ml at one. But the actual nurofen one was only 2.5.

I always have to double check now. With two LO's different ages it just gets too confusing trying to remember who gets what!!

He's fine very runny and blocked nose still and we've woken up with more teeth poking through haha. Last night was bloody rough but I've given him 2.5ml of calpol not 5 just for my piece of mind more than anything he didn't have any through the night. Also can I just say eeew to his snotty hooter it was like a boogey plug ����

xxxx

Different types seem to have different doses. I accidentally gave my eldest too much nurofen once cos we had got a shops own one that said he could have 5ml at one. But the actual nurofen one was only 2.5.

I always have to double check now. With two LO's different ages it just gets too confusing trying to remember who gets what!!

Yeah that is a bugger having different doses for different meds.

I was mainly speaking on calpol as I know that one did change before I had Jackson as remember me and my mum arguing how much he could have during a very long night of teething :lol:

I found this link below its moved from 3 age/dose categories to like 5 age categories but also says that it wasn't changed due to safety concern so should you use the old dosages it's fine.

So for calpol it used to be 5-10ml for an infant which is fine, obviously not as per the box but if it's a one off it's fine.

I actually found it a good wee read. How boring is my life lol.

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2011/11November/Pages/new-child-calpol-paracetamol-doses.aspx

When we were last in A&E (little one 13m but small for her age) she was given 2.5ml for temperature but they told me it was a stronger medicine than the one sold otc.

Glad all is OK.

X

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27