unsure about sex of baby?

sarah2807

Reaction score
Hi everyone- :wave: I've been looking on here for a while, but only just joined.
I've just had my 20 week scan, we got told that it was a girl but the baby was laying in a funny position and the lady said 'I think it's a girl but I wouldn't go buy any pink things!' then she said again 'yes I think a girl' We're pleased either way but were slighly leaning towards the idea of having a girl, anyway, what i was wondering is would you believe her and think you were having a girl or stay team green cos she didn't sound 100%?
Has anyone on here been told girl then had a boy?

Hi

No this has not happened to me, I have 4 kids and Winky on the way, every time I have been told the sex, they have been right.

This time round the sonographer was most definate, she said, "You cant miss that Winky" :D

Hope all goes well for you :hug:

Jue x

Hey, they can never be certain... did you notice where the sonographer was looking or anything, theres a scan post further down and the posters baby is definately a boy! They've told me i'm having a girl - but they can't be certain - she said she couldn't see any boy bits!
I'm having a 4d scan and i'm hoping they'll be able to give me their opinion too. I've bought some pink stuff but only clothes, i wouldnt buy anything hugely pink - like a buggy or anything. have u considered a 4d scan?

They won't tell the sex in Aberdeen so I don't have anything personal to go on. But I think Squiglet has been told a different sex every time her baby has been scanned :D
They can't be 100% sure until it's born. The reason Aberdeen doesn't say the sex anymore is because they got it wrong and someone sued.
You could wait until closer to your due date to get girl things then take them back if it turns out to be a boy.

I've got no idea where she was looking??? she kept turning the screen around and didn't point anything out. We thought about a 4D scan but DH isn't too keen on them and said he'd rather not have one.
Babybee-my scan sounds like yours -she was basically saying I can't see anything tha indicates it's a boy so I think it's a girl. We'll probably have to go neutral and just get a couple of pink things but keep receipts. don't think I get another NHS scan now.Oh well!

Welcome to the forum Sarah :wave:

When i had my 20 week scan the baby was lying with her legs up by her head so it was quite awkward to tell the sonographer thought it was a girl although she didnt seem 100% sure which was a huge shock to me and my oh as we were convinced we were having a boy. Very similar to your story.

I was disappointed that i didnt get a more positive girl/boy result. I said i wouldnt buy any pink things just incase they were wrong but then the sales started :doh: and i couldnt help myself i now have loads of girl clothes (all brought in the sales). All the big things are in neutral and i havent paid full price for any of the pink things i do have. I have brought neutral things too just incase.

I now feel im having a girl and have some names picked out and i refer to the baby as a she but it took a while to sink in. I feel that i made the choice to find out the sex and i was never going to get a 100% sure girl/boy result so why keep questioning it. If its wrong then so be it i will have a good collection of girls clothes for the next baby girl born in my family.

I do have a friend who got told girl then had a boy but its a risk you take.

If you wait a bit longer you can buy pink things and take them back if you need to.

when i found out the sex of these i was having a nose on the scan and i could see it was a girl b4 she said girly bits look like hamburgers (top bun bit in the middle and a bottom bun) and the boys bits looked just like boy bits!!!!!!!

On my scan i really couldn't see anything between the legs - nothing to resemble a boy!
I was sure i was having a boy too
I am getting pink stuff and me and the OH agreed, if it's a boy we'll just keep the stuff and see if we get a girl the next time!!
Like Bloom i have only bought sale bargain items in pink so i don't feel i'm wasting it.

You can get private 2d sexing scans - the 4d people i'm going with do them, but obviously they aren't cheap and again they can't guarantee anything.

I'm just getting used to the idea of having a girl :)

p.s i'm not going to decorate the nursery (if we get a house) in pink or anything, i'm keeping big things neutral.

:)

Going by the sonographer sounding unsure I'd either stick to neutrals, or like someone else said, buy pink stuff nearer the time so you can exchange it if it's wrong.

The other option is to get a gender scan privately but that would set you back about £75.

It must be so annoying when someone leaves you in limbo like that.
I found out mine was a boy today but it was a 4d scan and the sonographer pointed out the boy bits.
Saying that though, at her scan, squiglet was pointed out boy bits on her girl! :shock:

Thanks for your comments everyone, it has been really helpful. We've decided not to tell anyone else and just say we didn't find out-that way friends and family don't go buying loads of pink things and I think we'll just get a couple pink then buy more when baby is born and we know for certain either way (the rest neutral) Your're right-it's the chance you take when you decide to find out and at the end of the day as long as baby is ok it doesn't really matter :D Cheers girls!! :D

yep id do wat uve sed hun, just buy a couple of pink things, givs u an excuse 2 shop more afta baby is born :D

on 2 of my scans they said there was nothing obvious there to say it was a boy so it looks like a girl.. We have been out and brought pink clothing in the sale.. If its a boy i will just put the stuff on ebay..
I have another scan a week on friday so will try and get them to look again..
My hubby has said it was a girl from day 1..

Oh i have brought 2 neutral babygrows for hospital just incase.. Once i know the sex i can dress in pink or blue.. Already have blue stuff from my son :D

i agree with the others hun just buy neutral things and a few pink bits that way if it is wrong it wont matter to much :)
congrats btw
manda xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back