Unemployed and miss having my own money :(

Olivia118

Reaction score
So I am 31 weeks pregnant and penny-less. I am not entitled to any type of maternity pay or allowance. I'm only entitled to income support until baby is a few weeks old, I believe. I set up my claim on the 18th of July and attended an interview at the job centre on the 20th of July. I was then told just to wait until some money goes into my account, which should happen "within a few weeks"....I am currently sitting at home with £0 in my bank account, bills pilling up and no idea when I will receive any kind of funds. I know my bank account will be going overdrawn so any first payments will more than likely be swallowed up :(

Yes, I do have a partner who is self employed and he will support me. But I am a very independent and stubborn person! I hate having to ask for money, I feel like a child again :( I've worked since 14 and always have supported myself. I was just wondering if there's anything I can do to raise some funds? I really don't want to be claiming benefits and I would prefer to be working but I understand that no one will employ me (been job hunting since January!) I couldn't even get a job in our local supermarket.

Anyway.....Does anyone have any advice? Or experience with something similar?

Sorry if this is stating the obvious, but are you absolutely SURE you aren't entitled to maternity allowance? Have you checked your test period against the document on the HMRC website? Only reason I ask is that you said you've been looking for work since Jan so if you have worked up to then that might overlap into your test period?

https://www.gov.uk/maternity-allowance/eligibility

Just had to make this point too (this is assuming you live with your partner)... when you have kids, you become a family (married or not) and income becomes family money. I'm presuming you'll be looking after the baby while your OH works? So saving him/the family money that would be spent on childcare costs? We all know how eye-wateringly high they can be. What I'm trying to say is that you need to snap yourself out of the "he is supporting me" mindset. Your role within the family IS important. It's about accepting how that has changed for you. My OH was the one who pointed that out when I was being paid mat allowance and he was earning his normal wage. I was used to being financially independent too and it was hard accepting the new dynamic, but I have finally accepted that we're equal in the relationship and his money is my money (and vice versa) - we pay the bills, save together and have the same for "spends" each month. Don't "ask" your OH for money each time you need it. Sit down together, work out a joint budget based on your joint income and that way you have the money you need in your account when you need it. I think starting a family is the perfect time to review your finances and see them as combined family money as opposed to separate 'his and mine' money.

That's my thoughts anyway! Congrats on your pregnancy by the way xx

Last edited:
If i were you I would call the bank and tell them the situation. They may waive or refund fees for returned direct debits or for going into an unplanned overdraft. That would give you a little less to stress about. Also let the companies involved know the situation too, some may give you a payment plan or even a payment holiday off paying credit cards etc for a month while you get this sorted. I wish i could give you more advice, but thats all i know. Xo

If i were you I would call the bank and tell them the situation. They may waive or refund fees for returned direct debits or for going into an unplanned overdraft. That would give you a little less to stress about. Also let the companies involved know the situation too, some may give you a payment plan or even a payment holiday off paying credit cards etc for a month while you get this sorted. I wish i could give you more advice, but thats all i know. Xo

This 100%

And from birth you're entitled to child benefit, almost everyone is entitled to this up until a household income of around 50-60k a year. And child tax credits. So at least you won't be empty handed.

Hi! Maybe you can try the online platform for work. There are companies looking for online writers and English teachers. You just need to pass their diagnostic tests, and you're good to go. You can also try selling products online! Through this avenue, you won't need to physically tire yourself, especially since you're pregnant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back