Underwired bras and breastfeeding

Rosieroo

Reaction score
My auntie is breastfeeding, but has suffered from recurrent bouts of mastitis which they've told her is down to her wearing underwired bras whilst she was pregnant.

Like her, I was never told not to wear underwired bras by my midwife, and I can't remember where I found out not to (probably on here :) ).

Shouldn't midwives tell every mum to be not to wear underwired bras? There is so much pressure on mums to breastfeed as 'breast is best', but then it seems that we're being given sub standard information!

Rant over :D

wow I didnt know that, i alwayts wear underwire bras, got one on now!

Im planing to express then give it through a bottle, i dont like not knowing how much the baby is taking so i like bottles best.

I have heard about mastitis, sounds horrible, really dont want to get it.
I need to get some new bras this week as ive out grown my one snow, so i will make sure i get ones with no wire.

thanks!

Well I went to get measured at M&S on friday afternoon, and the lady told me that I shouldn't be wearing underwired bras under any circumstances as they are supposed to eat way at your flesh while your breasts are growing.

I don't know how true this is, so I have ditched my underwireds now in favour of some nice t-shirt non-wired lightly padded bras. (A lot of non-wired bras are really ugly and too high up at the front)

My favourite new bra is from BHS. It is nice and low cut at the front so it can be worn with low cut tops (we must take advantage of our new assets!). It is lovely and soft and was £12.

Thanks for the tip sarah I'm gonna get one of those from BHS :D

Hi

When i found out i was pregnant, the first thing my sister said (she has just had a baby) was that under wired bras affected the milk ducts which are developing through pregnancy and you could affect your breast milk.

Not sure how true this is, but I think it is what she was either advised or read.

Sarah

I read in a magazine that we should look for bras with wide shoulder straps and a deep band underneath the cups for support. This will help protect us from getting saggy boobs later on!!! Also for anyone who still wants to wear underwired bras, Miriam Stoppard does a range called 'Nurture' and they do underwired bras that are designed for pregnant women. Not sure where you can get them but I'm sure you could search on the internet and find a website that you can order from or at least a list of shops that stock them xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back