Type Of Sterilisers Used!!

KatysMummy

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a feeling I will be asking a lot of advice from everyone!!

I would like to know what type of sterilisers everyone is using. There seem to be 3 main types, steam, microwave & water.

Which seem to be the best?

Thanks!!

i have the avent microwave one and i like it easy quick and simple

Hi I use an electric Avent one. I find it quick and easy. My friend uses a 3 in 1 one out of boots-electric, microwave and cold- but she only ever uses the electric one.

xx

I have the boots 3 in 1 currently use it as an electric one but its handy if I ever need to go somewhere can use it as a microwave one instead of carrying the whole thing about. I think it comes down to how much space etc you have if youve got a small kitchen then maybe a microwave one would be better?

I use Mothercares own electric steam steriliser and its fab and even fits 6 Dr Brown bottles in with all it's million componants!

I have the same one as Sami and it does a great job. Big enough to do your 6 bottles, dummies, bottle and teat brush etc all at once. :lol:
Buy the descaling sachets though. You'll need to descale it about every 6weeks if you use it daily.

I descale my mothercare one 3-4 weekly to keep it clean, I put less waetr in than needed half the time and have burnt the bottom before lol :roll:

i have every type, lol and a cold water one incase of power cut, but i gave up using any once alana was 2 months old. just didnt see the point.

i found microwave one the best, so quick and easy. i got the tommee tippe one and the avent electric one.

EmmaandGary said:
I have a feeling I will be asking a lot of advice from everyone!!

Bless, we use an Avent steam one which does the job in about 8 mins. However, now Dom is older I chuck his teethers )some can't be steamed in a container of milton and this is good too.

i use cold water, i like it cos it lasts 24 hours so you can just pop things in and out as and when, and milton tablets only take 15 mins

Sami said:
I descale my mothercare one 3-4 weekly to keep it clean, I put less waetr in than needed half the time and have burnt the bottom before lol :roll:

At least you put water in, I have forgotten twice :D

We used the cold water tablets after a scrub with hot soapy water.

i use the cold water one as i read that when i take bottle out it will stay sterile for 12 hrs were as with the stem ones i read only 4hrs?????

With my steam one they only stay sterile in the steriliser for 3 hours or if you take off the lid so I tend to make up any bottles etc and put them in fridge as then they can be kept for 24 hours.

beanie... does that mean the bottles will still be sterile after 24hrs???

I don't know sorry, I make up any bottles when it has done and would only keep them for 24 hours anyway cos of the milk. However I have sterilised her dummies in there. I will use them after 24 hours as they are sealed in a sterile container, she doesn't take a dummy very often so it would be a pain for me to do it every day. If the container has been opened though I will re-sterilise them. Not too sure what is right or wrong...not much help today am I sorry x

lol dont worry about it its just im thinking weather im doing it the easiest way or not as didnt no weather to try some thing else for next baby

From what I understnd you are. I do like my steriliser but it can be a pain if for some reason I need to get something quickly like a bottle or a part of my breast pump as I have to wait for it to do. With the cold water one you can just leave it in there and take out when you need it. I wish I had used that method but had already bought the steriliser and don't want to waste my money :(

and that water ones are the cheaped its just a bowl with a lid lol some of the electric ones are well expensive, so im sticking to the old fashion way

Wow!!

I haven't been able to get on the internet for a while, thanks for all your replies - they are really useful!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back