Two questions

timsmom

Reaction score
Has anyone had a glucose tolerance test? I have mine tomorrow and was just wondering what to expect.

Also is anyone else having problems with their arms/shoulders? I would be sleeping ok if I didn't keep waking up with numb painful (bit of a contradiction) arms. My shoulders hurt too. I think its the way I'm lying and have tried allsorts to get comfy but still wake up the same. Any body got any ideas about what I can do? :wall:

Well i've had to have my blood tested for sugar as it has shown in my urine, so i might have to have the test, but sorry I don't know what it's like to have it.

With the sleeping, I sometimes wake with a numb arm just cos it's stuck under me, have you tried a pillow under your bump , as I think that our arm is sort of holding us up and taking the extra weight of the baby maybe the pillow will do that instead for you?!?!!? It's crap not getting a full nights sleep, I wake now to go to the toilet at 3am every morning!!!

I have had two GTT now because I have a higher BMI. They are not too bad at all.

You don't eat from midnight the night before, but you can sip water. That isn't so bad at this stage, it is worst when you are still in first tri and have morning sickness.
You go in and get blook taken. Then they give you a sweet drink to drink. It is pretty sickly but not too unbarable and then she tells you to come back in two hours.
I would recommend going shopping rather than hanging round the hosital. The time goes much quicker. Then you go back and they take another sample of blood.
All very quick and painless. They contact you the next day if there is a problem with the blood.

As for the arm thing, I too wake up with sore or dead arms. As Sophie said, I think it is an inevitable side effect of making babies. I have tried many different arrangements of pillows but nothing really seems to help that much. I am just putting up with it. I wake up everytime I turn over anyway....a good night's sleep is something of the past now :(

I had big sore shoulder / numb arms on waking problems when I was first pregnant. It was suggested that a mattress topper might help. I was told to either buy a foam one or to buy a quilt to use as the quilted mattress toppers are just expensize quilts! So I use our 2 spare single duvets under me at night and now I can sleep!!!!! My shoulders aren't sore (I have to use an extra pillow now though because of the extra height from the quilts) and although my hands go numb sometimes it is not as bad.

Thanks Girls, at least its not just me being a weirdo!!

I get pins and needles quite a lot in my arms

Im having a GTT in a few weeks i was told i cant eat from 10pm the night before and will have to stay in the hospital and sit quietly as exercise can alter the results. I guess its depends on the hospital. :think:

I had my GTT last week.
Had to fast from 10pm the night before and then drink the lemon flavoured sugary drink at 7am.
My appointment was at 9am at the hospital where they took bloods (they have to do this exactly 2 hours after u drank the solution)

I then took it to the pathology lab where they told me to check back in an hour for the results. So we went and had some breakfast (phew was starving by this point - I never EVER miss my breakfast!)

I went back an hour later and they told me the results were negative - so all good and well :cheer:

Good Luck for your test :hug:

Hello
I have been getting achey arms as well
I always end up sleeping on my back which is no good but hubbie tells me and i move.
i also get restless legs and have been told tonic water can help with this
hope it improves for you x

I have pins and needles in the tip of my little finger! :shock:

I too wake up with numb arms. Pregnancy is ace :cheer:

I use a 'pregnancy pilliow' to keep my bump supported. I find it stops my whole body rolling forward too much and takes the strain of my arms and shoulders. I got it from Blooming Marvellous - its actually 2 pillows with a piece of fabric holding them together - you lie on the piece of fabric so whichever way you turn you have a pillow waiting for you!

http://www.bloomingmarvellous.co.uk/pro ... uage=en-GB

I've got mine in a couple of weeks. My letter says you aren't allowed to be active at all between the two blood tests and just to bring something to read.

I am SO glad i'm not the only one who gets numb arms! I hate it! and restless legs, oh how i long for a peaceful nights sleep!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back