Tv or no tv?

I do think it's about balance, to be fair Sol watches more than I think is ideal. Hate it when I see him just staring with his gob open haha, but he has learnt a lot from tele, comes out with words that I k ow I havnt taught him! And sign language from good old Mr tumble. But obviously you can't beat proper one to one with your child, but it simply isn't possible all day everyday, things need to get done. But if I'm not doing something essential I will do my best to get down on the floor, TV off and teach/play. Or he helps me with jobs, if I'm dusting I give him a duster and he goes around copying me, and we chat about what were doing. He loves taking washing out of the machine/putting it in, so that's his little job, so I try to involve him where I can xx

Sometimes she goes right up to the telly and stands with her nose inches from the screen. We are trying to teach her not too and pull her away saying no, but she is a determined little thing

Is it actually bad for their eyes or is that just something our parents used to say to us? (Tvs have changed a lot since we were all little)

Sometimes she goes right up to the telly and stands with her nose inches from the screen. We are trying to teach her not too and pull her away saying no, but she is a determined little thing

Is it actually bad for their eyes or is that just something our parents used to say to us? (Tvs have changed a lot since we were all little)

TVs have changed a lot, and the way the screens work now really shouldn't have an impact of LOs eyes.

We have tv on for background noise most of the time. G loves Big Bang Theory, but its only recently I've had kids tv on for her - mostly cos she watched it with her cousins at my folks, and I need a break with being pregnant!! It's educational stuff, she's not plonked in front of it all the time. Like everything else in life it doesn't need to be an all or nothing issue.

A rainy day with films and cuddles isn't any worse than a sunny day out running about! X

i have it on in the background so i dont feel so alone lol, alyssa dosent pay much attention to it most of the day, she watched milkshake on C5 in the morning til 9.15 and then its random programmes all day. the only time she watches is when shes tired and wants me to sit with her while she cuddles and goes to sleep really. she likes music tv and loves the song for the big bang theory but she never actually watches a whole programme, prefers to play with her toys instead

Ahhhh the old tv debate. Lol.
Tv is a godsend imo. I love watching disney films with my girl. Its on but sometimes theres no sound. She watches anything and everything but now shes on the move she doesnt sit down for 2 minutes to watch it. However, like all kids, she loves the adverts and will sit for the 3 minutes glued to every ad break. Funny that hu. Xx

Oh amd lynds....Dg snogs the tv which is worrying!!!!
tapatalking

for us the TV mans time to get stuff done. Eg....today, we got up fed the children etc and changed them, joshua helped me unload the dishwasher and fill it (with his bits) he helped load the dishwasher and put the stuff in etc etc but when it came to mopping the floor and or cleaning a bathroom or hoovering he went to watch cbeebies. we have een known to record some programmes like peppa because he loves her.

then we had lunch, went to a cafe and a drink and then messy play and he played with greg dinner, bath and then he watches iggle piggle and book and bed.

we use the TV as a means of being able to get on with basic household functions quicly. cleaning a bathroom, cleaning the living room etc. i wouldnt let him sit there all day although when OH and I did have food poisoning it was a god send"! gregs 7 months and not massively interested at all tbh not even the colours really //////////

My lo loves TV and I don't have any issues in letting her watch it if I need to get things done. I normally let her watch 30 mins in the morning whilst I do a quick tidy, make breakfast, wash. Then the day is usually spent playing on her mat, walk in the park, some kind of play group/date and then in the afternoon I put it on again whilst I make dinner or ironing etc. Cbeebies is brilliant, in particular 'In the Night Garden' - E loves it anyway, I have no idea what's going on in it most of the time. It's 30 mins long so perfect for me.
I have nothing against letting lo watch it any longer but whilst its summer and nice weather Id rather make the most of that! I'm also a little paranoid that there will be a scary image that will pop up in her dreams and give the poor thing night terrors so I don't really watch my own TV shows when she's around. I don't think I've watched much TV at all since she's got more alert.
X

Well we had in the night garden on last night and all I thought was what the hell is going on?! It's worse than teletubbies! I'm convinced someone wrote it after a few too many shandies!

My lo loves TV and I don't have any issues in letting her watch it if I need to get things done. I normally let her watch 30 mins in the morning whilst I do a quick tidy, make breakfast, wash. Then the day is usually spent playing on her mat, walk in the park, some kind of play group/date and then in the afternoon I put it on again whilst I make dinner or ironing etc. Cbeebies is brilliant, in particular 'In the Night Garden' - E loves it anyway, I have no idea what's going on in it most of the time. It's 30 mins long so perfect for me.
I have nothing against letting lo watch it any longer but whilst its summer and nice weather Id rather make the most of that! I'm also a little paranoid that there will be a scary image that will pop up in her dreams and give the poor thing night terrors so I don't really watch my own TV shows when she's around. I don't think I've watched much TV at all since she's got more alert.
X

Well we had in the night garden on last night and all I thought was what the hell is going on?! It's worse than teletubbies! I'm convinced someone wrote it after a few too many shandies!

Haha and we are going to see it live at the end of August!

God help you Mrs V! I've got no idea how it's meant to be relaxing for kids, I was half expecting LO to be awake all night having nightmares about it!

thats show scares me, i cant watch it. that and baby jake....creepy

We put the tv on for breakfast so he has his bottle and porridge while watching the cartoons... I must admit i love them just as much as Stevey does lol

We don't have tv...we do have the actual tv but no tv subscription so no channels.
We occasionally watch a DVD after she goes to sleep.
She dosent like tv really and that makes it more difficult when I need just 10 min to do sth.
So for now we don't reallly use the tv at all but that's not because if her we were watching tv like once per month even before her.
We have movies for her in all 3 languages (she is raised as trilingual) and when she gets older we are going to have a movie night of she will like it but probably no more than that.
I got raised also with almost no tv (personal really choice as I loved books) and my oh is the same.
With us wig generally too busy for tv I am not going to buy a tv subscription just for her to watch things lol.

In the night harden is supposed to be that place between awake and asleep....which the thought itself id messed up........ imo...but j really.likes it. It really irritates my but sometimes I find myself singing oopsy daisy here I come im the only oopsy one im the only daisy too ipsy upsy daisy doo

My daughter has all2ays watched tv, not all day buy does watch it nearly every day for differnt amounts of timw, she loves cbeebies which can be educational, she has lear ed.lots of colors shap3s 3ct for it x

J has been getting tired early in the evening after dinner and as he went to bed earlier and earlier, he was waking earlier. He gets very grumpy if we try and keep him awake and engaged with games. So we're trying an episode of in the night garden, as wind down time, which he seems to like. He still gets read to before bath as well.

Nick Jr is on maybe every second or third day for about 20 minutes for Peppa Pig while I get a cup of tea, but that's not the only time we have the tv on, cos obviously me and dh watch telly. In fact Alyssa loves Pointless!!

Now that she's getting a bit older I'm not as keen for her to be watching as much tv with us but not because of the square eyes thing (as much as I joke about it!) but mostly because of content if you know what I mean? For example, she likes the Family Guy theme tune, but I definitely don't want her watching that as a child because it's an adult programme. And I laugh at it, a lot. So she'll end up picking up on the humour, which is totally inappropriate. So I've been sneaking my Family Guy fixes while daddy puts her to bed :lol: xx

G loves Big Bang Theory

she lloves the song for the big bang theory but she never actually watches a whole programme, prefers to play with her toys instead

What is it with Big Bang Theory?! I have it on a lot and she'll be playing quite happily then the theme tune comes on and she stops and stares with her jaw hanging out!! I think the fast movement of the pictures is quite attractive to babies as well. But we might just all end up with mini Sheldons!! xx

G loves Big Bang Theory

she lloves the song for the big bang theory but she never actually watches a whole programme, prefers to play with her toys instead

What is it with Big Bang Theory?! I have it on a lot and she'll be playing quite happily then the theme tune comes on and she stops and stares with her jaw hanging out!! I think the fast movement of the pictures is quite attractive to babies as well. But we might just all end up with mini Sheldons!! xx

Georgia has started bringing me the tv remote this week and saying/signing BANG!

We are a big babytv fan here too.

Jackson is only 7m and has his favourites he gets 15m each time usually in the morning after breakfast whilst I clean and wash then tea time whilst I rally round and sort tea and his bath, clothes etc.

W have it on in the background as it has a lot of rhymes songs and education things, Infact most on baby tv is educational. And then at night time when he's gettin last bobo we turn all the lights out and have the unwind night time baby tv playing and it's just like goldfish on the telly with some classical music, he loves it.

I'm not one for plonking him infront of the telly and leaving him. During the day he's playing with toys and in the walker etc, but he does dance along with the babytv music or the music channels which is my cleaning time. Hahaha

Xxxxx

I don't think there is anything wrong with allowing them to watch tv . Children's programmes are very educational and to e honest if it wasn't for Mickey Mouse I would not be able to get ready for work of a morning lol x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back