Tv or no tv?

Pregnot

Reaction score
When my friend had her first baby she had a rule that lo was not allowed to watch tv because she said it was bad for her eyes and also that she didn't want her baby plonked in front of the tv for convenience .

So I'm now thinking do I let baby watch tv or not?

I don't want a child who sits in front of the tv all day hit equally I don't want to say to people ohh he doesn't watch tv I'm not sure what to do?

Do you let your babies watch tv? if so why? If not why?

Il be honest I'm swaying towards not letting baby watch tv but then how far does it go? to I not have the tv on all day because baby is awake??

Personally I don't have the telly on much during the day. After a while, the novelty of day time telly wore off! I don't like to have it on too much cos I found it too distracting. If it was on, I'd find I wouldn't speak to LO for ages. Now I leave it off and chat to him while I feed him etc. If it's on my LO will just sit there and watch it instead of playing etc which I don't like either. It's also a nightmare having it on when he's trying to feed, cos he will watch telly instead of taking his milk.

I will put on music for a bit of background noise which LO loves, cos I dance about with him and sing to him. If the telly does go on, it tends to be to watch a specific program and then I'll turn it off afterwards. Sometimes I'll pop one of the kids channels on for 15-20 mins, especially if he needs his nails cutting. I've found it's the only time I can get him to sit still long enough!

I think it depends on how u use it, CBeebies is very educational and we watch the learning hour every day but we sit together and chat about it! H does watch some cartoons too but it's more fir background noise Ashe rarely sits and watches something!
Xxx

When my LO was first born I used to have the radio on all the time, D loves music and singing. I noticed that a lot of friends had the tv on when we went round but D has only become interested in the tv in the last couple of months. I usually put cbeebies on in the morning but only for certain programmes and I do tend to watch the news but that's all, when daddy is home its very different though! X

It thoroughly depends on what's on, if they are just sat there watching passively then that's fine for short periods if time or if you have something important like a phone call you need to make.

If learning is occurring then TV isn't actually too bad for that but again in moderation.

Toby doesn't watch TV at a year old but I will occasional put charley bear on YouTube for him to watch in his high hair whilst having a snack as they are 7mins long and allow me to quickly prep lunch/dinner/unload the dishwasher etc x

We have snuggles in my bed first thing in the morning and last thing at night and watch a bit of peppa pig which B loves. I just think everything in moderation. I'm really looking forward to B showing enough interest to watch things like finding memo with me.

Omg ceebeebies is my saving grace to allow me to get things done! Otherwise none of us would eat, have clean clothes and live in a sh#t tip lol.

Before Archie was born I had all these great ideals, how he would eat, routines, tv etc...that's all gone well out of the window!

There's nothing wrong with a bit of telly! Infact Harry is currently squealing at Mickey Mouse while his breakfast goes down and I enjoy a HOT cuppa!! Ours in normally on for background noise and Jack & Harry watch bits and bobs that catch their attention but mostly they enjoy adverts or theme tunes that are familiar rather than the actual programme. Except for Special Agent Oso, he's Jack's hero lol x

Baby TV is the only reason I am washed and dressed most days :shock:

It gives those all important 15 minutes to have a bath and sort myself out.

James loves TV though, he'd watch it all day so I have to limit it being on. If I watch anything whilst he is napping then I make sure he cannot see the TV, or else I stick to radio on.

James loves music, almost as much as he loves TV.

I always thought I'd never allow TV but the I stopped being so precious about it when I had a screaming baby and I needed to put him down for a few minutes.

We watch stuff designed for babies, may have to move up to ceebeebies soon lol.

As with everything I think moderation is key.

xxxx

Cbeebies is used first thing in my house so that I can make a few bottles, change the steriliser & tidy the kitchen, put on laundry. I shower when he naps. He loves Postman Pat.
He maybe gets 5 minutes in the evening if he's having a demanding day, shouting when I leave the room etc. & I need to make up his feeds. That's rare though. I do think its everything in moderation. Don't compare with your friend, do what YOU want/need to do.

Personally I agree with Claire! There is nothing wrong with tv! My tv is on all day long, constant cbeebies. Sometimes my lo watches, sometimes she doesn't. We all watch tv as adults and there's nothing wrong with us.

I have the tv on all day more for background noise. I've just introduced madam to ceebeebies yesterday whilst I went to start dinner and could hear squealing away at in the night garden :D I was singing the bedtime song all night lol

Sent from my new shiny iPhone using Tapatalk

My lo loves TV and I don't have any issues in letting her watch it if I need to get things done. I normally let her watch 30 mins in the morning whilst I do a quick tidy, make breakfast, wash. Then the day is usually spent playing on her mat, walk in the park, some kind of play group/date and then in the afternoon I put it on again whilst I make dinner or ironing etc. Cbeebies is brilliant, in particular 'In the Night Garden' - E loves it anyway, I have no idea what's going on in it most of the time. It's 30 mins long so perfect for me.
I have nothing against letting lo watch it any longer but whilst its summer and nice weather Id rather make the most of that! I'm also a little paranoid that there will be a scary image that will pop up in her dreams and give the poor thing night terrors so I don't really watch my own TV shows when she's around. I don't think I've watched much TV at all since she's got more alert.
X

we have tv on all day everyday always have and Alex is not in the slightest bit intersted in ot we play with her toys draw paint etc and she never gets distracted by it. if i put kids tv on she dosnt even notice. although she did like the blue lights on jeremy kyle when she was tiny xx

I think it all depends on you and your LO too. It was never something I thought about or intentionally set out not to let him watch it. I've just found it easier without it on. I've never been a huge watcher of telly anyway. I tend to watch films or things on the on demand and that's it. Of an evening OH have always either watched a film together or he'll play xbox and I'll read or go on the laptop. But we've always been like that even before LO arrived.

I always said I wouldn't let my baby watch TV and that I would never just plonk her in front of it to get some peace. Hahahahahahaha

Now in the mornings we put on Milkshake for Roary and Peppa pig. It finishes at 9.20 ish
Then at 9.45 she gets to watch Something Special on ceebeebies cause Mr Tumble is her favourite and she tries to do sign language. Too funny

And she gets ceebeebies bedtime hour at night

If she is being a monkey and refusing her food I put Mr Tumble on and she is that engrossed watching him she eats her food

My girl loves the telly. Even when its not baby programmes she stares at it sometimes

Everything in moderation and its to their own but I would say that when my youngest was born, my eldest did watch a fair bit of TV while I was feeding etc - a stop gap - just to survive and she also played animal games/matching games on the Ipad as well.

It was only for a month or so but I really noticed a decline in her language. Plus she started asking for the Ipad instead of doing her usual role playing games/reading books etc.

We ahve weaned her off them again and she is totally back to her usual self. She watches a couple of episodes of Peppa Pig and Ben and Holly at night with her milk.

In retrospect would try and resist the ipad. Even if it is 'educational games'.

Like many others have said, without a bit of telly in the morning, I'd struggle to get a few basic things done! When we come downstairs, Jules sits in her chair and watches some peppa while I wash and sterilise bottles, make bed time bottle etc. then we play on the floor etc. the tv is generally on most of the day when were in but for background stuff, she doesn't 'watch it'.

Then after her bath and before her bed time bottle, she'll watch Guess how much I love you.

Provided their not sat in passively sat in front of it for long periods of time, I don't think it's a problem.

Jill x x

Phoebe watches quite a few cbeebies programmes. Don't get me wrong it's not on all day every day though.
But she has a very big vocabulary she talks along with programmes, dances and sings along. I find cbeebies very educational. Especially programmes such as Show Me, Show Me, Numtums, Alphablocks and quite a few more.
At 19 months she can almost count to 10 (she just can't say 1 or 7) x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

We have the tv on whenever we're in and I don't see any problem with it. Ethan doesn't even watch it most of the time as our time is taken up with playing etc. The only thing he does watch and is interested in is 'in the night garden' before he goes to bed xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back