Tuna :D

Discussion in 'First Trimester' started by tinkerbell*, Dec 30, 2007.

1. tinkerbell*

tinkerbell* Well-Known Member

ello, me again!

my midwife told me that you shouldn't eat too much tuna whist pregnant...... i eat lots of it, so i was wondering how much is too much.... in respect to cans a week??????

hehe! soz random question :p

2. Emma58

Emma58 Well-Known Member

My midwife told me two cans a week is the limit.
    I love Tuna i'm finding it hard not to eat more.

3. tinkerbell*

tinkerbell* Well-Known Member

hehe! Thank you
    yeah i just munched jacket potato with lots of butter and... TUNA :-D only my 1 and 1/2... luckily, its a sunday hehe :D

4. Sherlock

Sherlock Well-Known Member

Tinned tuna is not so bad as fresh anyways. But yes, limit it as it still contains mercury. I love tuna also but limit myself to one tin every few weeks now rather than each week as I worry about the mercury levels regardless.

I adore fresh grilled tuna but have not touched it since finding out I was PG and won't eat it till after I have given birth and breastfed I guess.

5. Tegala-7thMarch08

Tegala-7thMarch08 Well-Known Member

i eat tuna all teh time i had no idea we should controll teh amount we eat :? :? :? :shock:

6. Sherlock

Sherlock Well-Known Member

It has higher levels of mercury. As does swordfish and a few others. Canned and fresh are both supposed to be limited.

It is said to not be problamatic normally but apparently can affect a baby's developing nervous system.

If you've been eating the recommended amount I'd not worry too much.

7. Squiglet

Squiglet Well-Known Member

:shock: :shock: My mw gave me diet plan and it has.... SWORDFISH on it :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Also tuna as well... I was told to eat lots of tuna fish by my mw because it has high levels of omega 3 in it which improves the baby's developing brain.

8. mandspice

mandspice Well-Known Member

My MW told me not to eat any...I don't like it anyway so that's easy enough but I'm sure a little won't hurt

9. Quill

Quill Well-Known Member

I limit myself to 1 or 2 portions per week. But I love tuna! I also try and eat a portion of salmon once per week... like someone else said, fish is good for developing brains! :)

10. debecca

debecca Well-Known Member

I conceived whilst on holiday in Mauritius and all I ate out there was fish... tuna, swordfish, marlin, all of which are on the strictly NO GO list. Oh well!! I still eat tuna now but just half a tin every few weeks.