Tummy sleeping

stargirl

Reaction score
H loves tummy time. He would also love sleeping on his tummy too if I let him. It really calms and settled him.

So I was just wondering what your opinions were on sleeping on tummies ?

Since discovering he could roll over, my LO always sleeps on his tummy (takes after mummy!). However I'm lucky that when he was a new baby, he was quite happy sleeping on his back.

A few ladies here have tummy sleepers, but I think so long as he has good head control you can let him. Don't quote me on it though, I'm sure some of the others will answer better haha. If LO will only settle on their tummy - then on their tummy they should sleep!!

I have a tummy sleeper. She will not settle at all on her back. It's fine with me as we have the angel care sensor mat. X

tapatalking

Logan started tummy sleeping about 2 months ago. We have a sensor mat, which helps me not to worry. I think without it I would be worried but it really helps give me peace of mind x

I was always told not to let them slew on their tummies until they can roll over themselves as it increases the risk of cot death (i.e- if they are sick, they could suffocate if they can't move out of it) but I've known lots of people to let their lo's sleep on their front with no problems. I myself personally wouldn't but it's entirely up to you. Xx

We haven't got a sensor mat. So I know if I let him I'd not be able to sleep or stop watching him. He really settles so well on his belly. I hate not knowing what to do for the best. He's 5 weeks old and has pretty good head control but can be a bit of a sickly baby.

Ethan slept on his back until he was about 5 months old. Once he learnt to roll, he has slept on his belly. We don't have a sensor mat though xx

We haven't got a sensor mat. So I know if I let him I'd not be able to sleep or stop watching him. He really settles so well on his belly. I hate not knowing what to do for the best. He's 5 weeks old and has pretty good head control but can be a bit of a sickly baby.

Trust me-I have the worlds sickest baby girl. She used to just fountain milk day and night. Not once has she done it whilst on her front tho. They sleep with their heads to the side. I think if she was on her back and to be sick she would have mire of a chance of choking? Angel care is the only way I can relax. I dread the day we turn it off. Ive joked and said shes having it until shes 18!!

Why dont you try the little one on his tummy in the day when you can keep an eye out? I know sensors are expensive but its got to be the best £100 we spent on anything for the baby. Its worth every penny for peace of mind (well obviously to a certain extent). Xx

tapatalking

Ethan slept on his back until he was about 5 months old. Once he learnt to roll, he has slept on his belly. We don't have a sensor mat though xx

Harry was the same, he got to around 6 months then started sleeping on his front. I was paranoid at first though and used to flip him over! At around 8 months I relaxed
Completely x

OH has just bought a new car so e haven't got a spare penny at the moment to buy a sensor mat, but I'll have a talk to him. If he knows how I feel he might agree to finding the cash to invest in one. X

OH has just bought a new car so e haven't got a spare penny at the moment to buy a sensor mat, but I'll have a talk to him. If he knows how I feel he might agree to finding the cash to invest in one. X

I know what its like. I sent OH to argos to get one after we were admitted to hospital with our baby grunting. Turned out she has severe reflux but I really didnt think I would ever relax again. Shes slept straight through the night for 11 hours since she was 7weeks. And that was when we put her on her tummy. My HV gave me a lecture but at the end of the day you have to do whats best for you and baby and take into account all the risks. I have tried to get my girl to sleep on her back but she is not for it. Xx

tapatalking

we cant control what they do in their sleep so try not to worry- my boy had an obsession with being on his side from a very young age, and then it was stomach and its always stomach now- ive never understood why thats comfortable!!!

Seren refused to sleep on her back at 2 weeks old and bethan refused to sleep on her back when she moved into her cot from her Moses basket.

I haven't got one of those sensor mats either, didn't know they existed!

tapatalking

Proud mummy of Seren 15 Nov 2010 & Bethan 12 Oct 2012

Harry had bad colic and has been a tummy sleeper since he was 2 weeks old. It really helped to ease his pains. He can self settle and fall asleep quite easily on his back now but thrashes about so much once asleep he ends up punching his own face and waking up so i let him nod off then flip him over. I was terrified at first but now i'm fine with it. We don't gave a sensor monitor but we do have a camera monitor for both boys so i feel pretty reassured because i can see him.

If your LO can turn his head easily from side to side when he's sleeping he'll probably be fine x

I put ruby down on her back but she wriggles alot and rolls over in her sleep, I've even woke up to find she'd turned herself upside down in her sleep before lol, it's true it's not advised to put them on their stomaches but that doesn't mean they won't end up that way anyway! all u can do is what u think is best and make sure u check on them regularly, what's best for one baby is not necessarily what's best for all babies xx

Maybe let your LO sleep on their tummy in the day while you're awake and can check them more frequently than at night. See how they are after a little while of this and then decide what you want to do at night. My son hates being on his tummy, but that's cos he's a nosey parker and can't see as much if he's face down!!

Thanks ladies for the advice. I might wait a couple of weeks till he's a little older and stronger and if he still settles better I'll try him then. X

My lo is a tummy sleeper too due to reflux, like gayle my lo is sick a lot and will do so as soon as on her back, and she's so uncomfortable, but is much much happier and less sicky on her front. She sleeps with her head to the side and we are confident about her head control. The angel care sensor pad has also saved our sanity, would highly recommend!! You could look on eBay to see if you find a second hand one?

I had a quick look on line an they're still pretty dear. Also there was more tommy tippy ones for sale the the angelcare ones. Are the angel care ones better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back