Ttc & smoking cannisbis

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeckyR21

Reaction score
Hello in need of advice please may I add first we are all adults here so please no bashing / hate
A friend of mine told me today she is ttc. She doesn't know I am also ttc but anyways
She said she is ttc yet she won't be giving up on smoking cannisbis she will only cut down. does anyone know If this would make her chances low for ttc or if it's okay?
I know some states/ countries have legalised it due to helping with health issues and stuff which I do believe in. :)
May I add she only smokes to help with social ensiety / stress x

I think she would need to discuss it with her GP. They may be able to give her a different medication to handle her stress, that wont reduce her chances of getting pregnant. It certainly shouldn't be smoked whilst pregnant.

I'm afraid like everything else, it will affect some people more than others! Some women can be drinking, smoking, taking drugs & eating absolute crap and a bloke just looks at them and they are pregnant! Then some of us do everything 'right' and struggle!

My DH was given a tiny bit of weed by one of his friends towards the end of last year and I stopped TTC for a couple of months because it affects the DNA in men's sperm more than it affects our eggs. So I gave it a couple of months for the damaged sperm to be gone and new sperm to created without any risk from the tabacco & weed. But I'm sure some people would think that was overkill! :)

Drugs cannot be good for a baby, and I cannot imagine it would be good for you when TTC. If she really wants that baby maby put those needless needs away, and start thinking like a mother.

I once worked with a lady who swore blind smoking cannabis is the reason her sister was able to conceive. Both of her children she tried for for long long periods of time. Both times she got pregnant were when she felt she was out of luck, had gone out with old friends, let her hair down for the night with her hubby went home and conceived a child whilst a bit stoned!

Now I feel that's more of an argument for letting go of stress, but each to their own.

Don't think anyone in their right mind would recommend any drugs during pregnancy, at all.

Last edited:
I don't do drugs or smoke so I don't get the appeal but smoking alone affects fertility (for some) so any drugs added to that can be problematic. If she is serious about ttc, she should give up as it especially won't be good during pregnancy. Would be pretty irresponsible to risk harm to a baby. There may be some natural remedies to help with anxiety.

Will she be stopping if she does get pregnant?
I had a friend who smoked before she accidentally got pregnant, but she couldn't stop during! Although her doctor insisted she'd stop since it can damage the baby, she kept on smoking. The placenta started dying off and the baby didn't get any nutrition anymore. They had to induce her at 36 weeks since the baby was in danger. It was born with withdrawal symptoms and just wouldn't sleep. When he started growing up, they noticed behavioral issues and had him checked. Later on, they discovered he had severe autism.
Anyways, I'm not going to say it's because of the drugs, but if she can stay clean for 9 months, please do, it probably does more harm than good.x

Last edited:
She would want to consult with the GP for sure. Cutting down is at least better than what she'd normally smoke but I know my sister smoked it (which I am not against for certain reasons by the way so not to sound like I am judging) but it was really bad for her younger son when he was first born.

why would someone bump a thread from 2016 :lol:

why would someone bump a thread from 2016 :lol:

IVW i thought exactly the same and wanted to write that but thought i would be quiet, you did it for me thanks :) xx

It just reminded me of a few days ago when i walked past a young mum who i thought was smoking a fag with her child in a pram, which is bad enough, but turns out it was actually cannabis :evil: what is wrong with people :wall2:

Thanks for the heads up IVW!

I don't understand people who do that in front of their kids...
That friend I was talking about would smoke mj with their baby in their arms. I felt so bad about it! The baby would squint because of the smoke in it's eyes! They would sleep on the couch with the baby in it's pram, bottles of vodka and whiskey were littering the floor. The mother was complaining that she barely had any money to come round every month, she didn't have a job and he lost his job during her pregnancy. They had to live off 700 euros a month but would spend 300 euros a month on weed!!! I told her what I thought about it and got angry. I told her she should at least try to diminish the quantity they smoked and not do it in front of their baby! Our friendship died that day but I contacted social services. I thought they could at least check up on the situation but they told me it wasn't bad enough for them to intervene.:(

Thanks for the heads up IVW!

I don't understand people who do that in front of their kids...
That friend I was talking about would smoke mj with their baby in their arms. I felt so bad about it! The baby would squint because of the smoke in it's eyes! They would sleep on the couch with the baby in it's pram, bottles of vodka and whiskey were littering the floor. The mother was complaining that she barely had any money to come round every month, she didn't have a job and he lost his job during her pregnancy. They had to live off 700 euros a month but would spend 300 euros a month on weed!!! I told her what I thought about it and got angry. I told her she should at least try to diminish the quantity they smoked and not do it in front of their baby! Our friendship died that day but I contacted social services. I thought they could at least check up on the situation but they told me it wasn't bad enough for them to intervene.:(

I am glad you did the best thing and contacted social services, you kind of had to really, their situation didnt give you much choice.

I personally couldnt be around people like that :wall2:

I've heard that hemp oil helps with stress. I have hemp powder in smoothies which also has the calming properties of the plant. It's totally legal and available in health food shops. Any tobacco will make it hard to conceive. No idea about cannabis but I can't imagine it's good for conception or the baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back