Ttc first time.. Help..

BeccaChx

Reaction score
Hi ladies, I'm new to this forum. I've commented on a few threads, I'm trying to understand all of this. What is cm? Is it to do with the cervix? I see a lot of people writing about it, also I did a pregnancy test the other day and it was negative, I've just worked out I ovulated 1st July but dtd 29th so I think they could catch I'm not sure how long they actually stay in there, so really it was only 8 days ago, does anyone know when I should test? I've posted in another thread il wait until the 17th but it's hard. My bodies all over atm because I had a MC about 3/4 weeks ago, wasn't planned.. Was very surprised but we were so happy, we've never though about kids but we're both 23 have full times jobs and we've been together 6 years and after being pregnant the first time we know we deeply would love to be a family but we don't actually know much on getting pregnant, I see ladies working all their days out to a T but I don't even know what kind of cycle I have. I feel so ignorant towards my own body but I've never taken any notice, I just have a af when I have one lol and that's a far as I thought ahead xxx

Have a wee Google of TTC abbreviations, that's what I did at first! CM is cervical mucus Hun, you'll see people talking about EWCM which stands for egg white cervical mucus, which is an indication you are fertile at that time in the month, it's meant to be your bodies ideal lubrication to carry the sperm to egg, has a stretchy clear consistency opposed to other times in the month when it's sticky, creamy etc. I had absolutely no idea about any of this when I first ttc either, it's not really something you would used to notice, now you'll find yourself checking your knickers constantly lol. Get a wee app for your phone to track your cycles, Ovia is good, it lets you keep track easily and works out your estimated ovulation based on how long or short your usual cycle, I'm irregular however it has helped me see a bit more of a pattern and just good to be able to see data in black and white. I thought we had sex loads but when I actually reviewed the month it wasn't much so you make more of a conscious effort next month kind of thing.

Hi Becca, I'm in a very similar boat - this is our first month TTC too.
Im 7 days past ovulation, my period is due on the 16th so will test later part of next week.
I never really paid much attention to what my body did every month either and now it seems so complex!
I use an app called 'Clue' which i think is brilliant but don't rely on their estimated ovulation date, my cycles are a standard 28-30 days so it automatically say's i ovulate on the 14th but I didn't it was the 17th.
I think its all trial and error, do you have any ovulation tests? I bought some on ebay really cheap and they do the job!

xx

Hey hun, sorry about your mc :-( my friend at work had one earlier this year and has just announced she is 10 weeks pregnant so hopefully it won't take too long.

I use Fertility Friend to chart as it's usually accurate with my ovulation and I take my temperature each day using a basal body thermometer to 2dp. You might not want to do this yet.

Sperm live for up to five days in the right environment so two days before is ideal. :) Good luck xx

Clairedoll I think I will be checking constantly now Haha, it's not really something you'd take notice of normally or if you did see it you wouldn't associate it with ovulation or anything it'd just be one of those things that happens lol. I've got the ovia app and I've been playing around with it and it seems good, it'd be easier if I knew how my cycle was atm I don't know when il get af due to the MC and I don't know if il get one because there's a possibility we could have caught again, it's a massive waiting game. I think the weeks go by so fast so you feel like you've done it loads when really you haven't, I'm like that too.

Keelygracey- mines due 15th/16th if my period were to go back normal quickly that is, so hopefully we both get a bnp at the same time! I've got some clear blue ovulation sticks but when ever I've done them they're negative so I don't know really, all these test are so expensive aren't they!

Phonixgirl- I hope I'm lucky like your friend and catch quickly, glad things have worked out for her. Yeah I've read about the temperature but I don't understand that too well, I did my temp in work last night (work in a nursing home so we have all the gadgets) but it was a digital one that goes in your ear so I don't know if that's the same as doing it else where, it was 37.6 or 98.78f I'm not sure what that means but I put it on the app anyways lol!

Xxx

Welcome to PF :)
Sorry about your miscarriage, most women dont ovulate the cycle after having a MC.. but you could be different and be extra fertile :p
If you want to temp you need a BBT thermometer (Basal Body Temperature) and you need to do it as soon as you wake up before you even sit up in bed to have it the most accurate.
If you want to do ovulation tests you can buy them on eBay or Amazon for really cheap because you have to do 2/3 tests per day around the time of ovulation. You can get preg tests form there as well for same price. On here they're called Internet cheapies (ICs).
CM - Cervical Mucas ... When fertile you'll get EWCM - Egg white cervical mucas it looks like raw egg whites ans its super stretchy and clear.
Which app are you using? I find OVIA fertility and FF - Fertility Friend are the best :)
Good luck, I hope you're not ttc for too long! xx

Hi and welcome to PF :wave:

Sorry to read about your m/c :( lovely that you've now decided how much you want to parents!

As this is in such early stages for you my best advice would be to relax and don't stress about taking your temperature etc. Take your folic acid and have sex regularly from cd5 to the week before your period. Don't become crazy and obsessive like us lot just yet :lol:

If you want to check for ovulation I recommend as peanut said, some cheap ovulation tests (opks) from eBay or amazon, they're like 50 for £5 and work really well. I use the cb kit and cheapies and they always tally up with each other. Start testing once a day at mid afternoon around day 8, you won't see much of a second line initially but as you get closer to ovulation the line will get darker and you can test twice a day to make sure you don't miss your surge. You want the test line to be equal to or darker than the control line!

Other than that just have sex and enjoy each other. Every second day in the run up to ovulation is plenty, then an extra couple of times at ovulation if you can manage ;) good luck xxx

Hi peanutbutter, yeah I'm not gonna bother with temp I think il just try track dates on ovia and use the ovulation sticks. Il have a look for them thank you, I spent £19 on a pack of 10 clear blue ovulation sticks. I'm using ovia and I've downloaded "clue" they both seem good and you can literally write anything on them which is good because img errorless with remember dates etc.

MrsS15- are you supposed to take folic acid? This is how clueless I am to it, my doctor prescribed me it when I was pregnant but I stopped taking it when I MC, I wasn't sure if you carry on. I'm definitely going to invest in the cheaper ones, I spent £35 in tesco on a preg test and ovulation tests, it's so expensive.

Is everybody here ttc aswell? How long has everyone been trying?
Thanks girls for the replies, it's seemed like a very long, bumpy road and full of all sorts of questions, it's nice to have these forums so everyone can share.
Xxx

Yeah you should take a prenatal vitamin while ttc and for the first 12 weeks so start taking the one your doctor gave you again. They help prevent neural tube defects in the growing fetus!

Everyone that's commented on this thread so far is ttc. If you look at the bottom of comments a lot of people have information about how long they've been trying or just generally their story! I've been ttc 15 months with 2 early losses along the way xx

Last edited:
Don't worry I feel just as clueless, this is my first month TTC and this forum has really really helped, don't feel embarrassed to ask anything no matter how stupid you might think it is, everyone is really supportive xxx

Il try dig them back out, I'm not sure if I threw them away because as silly as it sounds I was only taking them because I was pregnant so I didn't want any memories so I think I may have got rid :-(!
Oh I'm sorry to hear about your losses, were abouts on your cycle are you now MrsS15? i hope you get some luck soon, I didn't realise the stories were at the bottom but now I've seen them thank you. Fingers crossed for you that you get the news you want very shortly xx

Sometimes you feel silly keelygracey haha but I agree everybody is supportive and so knowledgeable too, it's lovely the support everyone has. I hope you get the good news this month, would be lovely for you to get a pos test on your first month :) xxx

I agree with keely, lol I've asked so many silly questionstuff, probably still do now after a year xD xx

I took a test today, I don't know why.. I guessed my af would be around 5/6 days so thought I'd see I got a clear blue plus and used fmu and I've got the most faint line I've ever seen, it's that faint I think I may be imagining it, if I work out how to post a picture il show you it inverted but in all honesty I think I'm imaging it, it would be so so so faint xxx

I don't know if it has worked but I'm trying to upload the picture, can anybody see anything? Xxx

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 11
Or the original one..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 14
I did another later on - working nights and I've inverted it xxx

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 8
I can't see anything :( I've never used one of these tests, is there supposed to be two lines that cross in the circle? xx

Yeah a horrizontal line and a vertical line in the bigger window, it's so hard to see on photo, there is a very fine line but it looks like a line that would already be on the test and would darken if you're pregnant xxx

Clairedoll I think I will be checking constantly now Haha, it's not really something you'd take notice of normally or if you did see it you wouldn't associate it with ovulation or anything it'd just be one of those things that happens lol. I've got the ovia app and I've been playing around with it and it seems good, it'd be easier if I knew how my cycle was atm I don't know when il get af due to the MC and I don't know if il get one because there's a possibility we could have caught again, it's a massive waiting game. I think the weeks go by so fast so you feel like you've done it loads when really you haven't, I'm like that too.

Xxx

It's totally not something I even remotely noticed or associated before! Know exactly how you feel! We're on cycle 3 since mc, everyone tells you ohh you'll catch straight away your so fertile after mc, think it's supposed to be a comfort but it killed me even more when it didn't then happen! My friend had an ectopic, tube removed, followed by instant pregnancy. Pleased for her and she's nearly due any day now but man it's been hard to keep upbeat!

It's difficult isn't it, my cousin lives away (we're more like siblings!) I was so excited to tell him I was pregnant and then the next day I lost it.. The day I lost it he shared his own news that his gf is 12 weeks pregnant and he couldn't wait to tell me, t was so hard because I was so so happy for them but I was so devastated at the same time! I've not done a test yesterday or today I might do one tomorrow, I feel sick quite a lot and tired but in all honesty I don't think I am pregnant but the slightest faintest lines are putting my head all over the place. I hope you get bnp soon, it feels like an eternity doesn't it xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back