TTC aged 37yrs - when to seek help?

Melanie3103

Reaction score
Hi,

Its really early days for us (cycle 3) after 20yrs on bc pill, but as i'm 37 someone told me don't wait the usual 12-18months of trying before seeing someone. I've no reason to think there's an issue, i just want to be prepared.

I had a pre- meeting with my GP at xmas, told him that we were hoping to TTC after wedding in April and asked his advice about coming off bc pill etc. he said as i was on one of the better bc brands that i should theoretically start ovulating right away, so i finshed pill at end march - and that the bc shouldnt really effect things 'normalising', as a lot of bc brands might. He said that the only thing that might be an obstacle is my age. Someone ttc for first time at 37 might not ovulate every month regardless of bc history.

Anyhoo.. Im using opks and charting bbt just to try make sure im actually ovulating - and im pretty sure i did on both the 2 cycles - got pos opks both times and temp rise 1-2 days after that stayed up til af arrived. Been given a clearblue fertility monitor to try this month too, so we'll see.

The question is... How long would you wait/try before seeking help ? Some books say 6-9 months when over 35 ?

Thoughts ? Experiences ?

Knowing the trouble we've had getting any fertility tests/treatment I'd say go after 6 months to try and get the ball rolling. We're both 32 but by the time we get our referral next year we'll both be mid 33, so worried that the longer they make us wait and the longer we are having tests done, the harder it will be for us and also the lower our chances of having more than one child will be. Like you say you have no reason to believe there are any issues for you both so that's good, and fingers crossed you'll get your BFP before the 6 months, or whilst you're waiting for tests/referral, but I'd definitely say pester the doc as soon as you can :) Good luck! X

It's 6 months if you're over 35. I'm 39 and my GP said at my age, only 1 out of 4 eggs will be viable for pregnancy. So that means 3 eggs per year have a chance of being viable and the rest are duffers :-(

Oh goodness reslly??? :-(

Good luck to you, it just takes one! Xx

I worked in fetrility clcinic ild say 6 months even if its just for gp to do blood test to see if youre ovulating their are a few tests the gp can do b4 the need to be refered for further hep

I'm 37 and hubby 43, I went to gp after 6 months, been 8 cycles now and still having tests, by the time they are done and a possible fertility clinic referral happens I expect it will have been a year so don't hang around xx

I am 37 next week, and as its been over 6 months I know I am able to go to the docs - but for some reason I am not ready to do that yet - I have told myself that if I'm not PG my xmas then I will defo go to get tested etc.. but I just feel that the NHS route takes sooo long - I have looked into private testing, and am willing to pay the £500 to get a full fertility MOT in one day - we'll see though! Hopefully I have a BFP brewing and I wont need to....

xxx

I have no reason to think anything wrong just want to be prepared. My other half is 28.

Its really early so im trying not to fret just yet.

Karen - Is the quality of eggs pretty standard for an old duffer like me or ? ;-) That is a shocking statistic... Herea hoping eh..

Thanks all...
Xx

Well I'm 40 and I've had 3 losses in 2 yrs :-( they say due to duff eggs probably cos if my age and u only get roughly 3-4 gd eggs a yr after 35 that are gd to fertilise if ya catch one of the duff ones then mc is likely to happen the statistics are depressing actually I would seek help after 6 months , I've had all the tests and my reserve and everything is fine and my progesterone is also fine and I'm ovulating each month xx

I have no reason to think anything wrong just want to be prepared. My other half is 28.

Its really early so im trying not to fret just yet.

Karen - Is the quality of eggs pretty standard for an old duffer like me or ? ;-) That is a shocking statistic... Herea hoping eh..

Thanks all...
Xx

Unfortunately yes, once you're over 35 the quality of eggs reduces. I've been pregnant twice within 8 months and miscarried both. That doesn't mean it will happen to you though. Hopefully you will catch a good egg xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back