Tried and tested tips - toddler biting!

T84

Reaction score
a couple of times my 2 and a half year old tried to bite me out of over excitement but this didn't last more than a day.

Now 3 times over the past week she has bit her 6 month old little sisters finger! She was screaming the place down tonight, even my toddler got a fright. Everything I read encourages the softly softly approach of ignoring the culprit and heaping attention on the victim (which of course I had to do to calm her down) I don't really agree with this approach as to me, biting is an absolute no no and needs to be stopped asap!

Any tips?!

My son went through a phase of this when he was just 2 - for him it was frustration as he couldn't speak.
I was quite firm and said no and took him away from the situation and made a fuss of the victim.
What did work was he bit a child at nursery and was put in time out - he hadn't been in time out before and I think it shocked him so he never bit again and nursery never had to use time out with him again!

My 2 year old bit my 7 year old a few days ago. It was part of a chasing game but it was a proper bite and left marks. I put him on the naughty step for 2 minutes as for me, biting is an absolute no, and I think it needs to be dealt with firmly. He was telly shocked I think by my reaction and got quite upset. He hasn't done it again as yet xx

As above really. 1yr old put finger in 2yr old's mouth. 2yo bit down hard. 1yo screamed, I said no very firmly and removed 2yo from the room, gave 1yo lots of cuddles and fuss. We've not a repeat incident. Having said that, 1yo no longer puts his finger in his brother's mouth :lol:

Both of mine went through a period of biting when they were going through a period of teething. A few visits to the naughty step sorted it out though!

talk to her like how you would talk to a school aged child.
let her know that what she is doing causes pain and that is not good.
honestly, when my 18 month old "slaps" me for kissing her, i gently "slap" her back (as in touch her cheek and gently push it). she ends up giggling though. but when she is biting me, i instantly cry of pain, remove her from me, and tell her that it hurts me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back