Tried and tested tips of relieving nausea and sickness?

KateQPR

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm new to all of this - only six weeks with first (suprise) pregnancy and worried about the usual - morning sickness (i HATE being sick and have a real phobia about it) and trying to keep my pregnancy safe and no miscarry.

Its weird - i want to feel excited about the future but am scared of believing i'm making actually making a baby, but am trying to keep my feelings and excitment in check just in case it all goes wrong. Anyone else feel that?

Anyhoo...i'm only a week in to all this, and have been feeling really nauseas, mainly when i wake up first thing, or in the middle of the night. I've started eating toast or crackers in bed before i move, and waiting a while before i get up. And am loaded up with crackers and biscuits as soon as i feel even a tiny bit hungry....

Anyone else got any other tips to keep morning sickness at bay? I've got a lot of work related travel coming up and am trying to manage it all as best i can. Would love to hear what you think works. Do wristbands work?

Thanks - and congrats to everyone on this weird journey too!

Kate x

Try a reall citrus shower gel.

Original Source Lemon and Tea Tree really helped to clear my head and settle my stomache in the morning :D

When you feel sicky, even if it's the last thing you want, eat a plain biscuit or cracker. This helped me big time :hug:

Ginger works for some people...either have a ginger tea, ginger biscuit or you can get pregnancy vits with added ginger from boots.

Dry crackers are great to nibble on when the sickness starts. Try to avoid foods that are really strong in flavour and eat as healthy and as bland as you can.

Milk is good to settle your stomach (although I couldn't face it during my first tri)

Also I used the sickness bands and they did help.

Don't forget if you're being sick to drink plenty of water so you keep hydrated

Good luck xxx

i found sucking lollies really helped (sugar free obviously) and chewing gum - minty taste maybe?

I have found that Arrow Root Biscuits help a lot. They taste like rich tea.

I have heard that it is best to eat little and often, rather than three big meals.

Hi, I posted a similar post a few weeks back when I first found out I was pregnant.

I was told ice lollies and boiled sweets, which worked, but for a healthier option, plain crackers, rich tea, or ginger biscuits also helped.

I found that it was when I wasn't eating or, after I had my main meal at night - I had to rush to the sink, I wasn't sick but very close to it.

It tends to be easing a bit now but i like the idea of eating biscuits lol, so might just keep using it as an excuse :rotfl: :oops:

Best get some exercise in!!! :wink:

I find eating when the nausea is really bad helps - only quite plain stuff thuogh and nothing too heavy, or sickly!! Also have found with previous pregnancies that I've had quite strong aversions to certain things (cleaning products, certain food; am starting to get them again now) - if you have anything like that try to avoid it.

Ginger beer is good, and oranges!!

I found ice lollies helped to a degree, but giner tea is the best (for me) by miles.

I wish I had tried it earlier...I assumed it was all hippy nonsense, but I tried out of desperation when I was STILL being sick in week 14. It was magic!!!

and dont expect what u find to work to work all the way through , i went through a diet coke stage ( when i never had it pre pregnancy) but overnight it then made me sick and not better !

boiled sweets , even starburst chewy sweets
mints (polo's were great )
sipping water and not guzzling it
try eating more when u do feel ok so ur not worried that your not getting enough , if your find durring the day for example ( i was worse at ngiht ) eat your main meal then

i also had to change my eating times , lunch for me had to be at about 11 am and dinner had to be before 5 !

i did wear wristbands , not sur what they did , as if i felt sick i felt sick with or without them

1) Eat what you fancy when you fancy and don't worry about it.
2) Get lots of sleep.
3) Try to avoid tight waistbands - this made it worse for me.

Fundamentally I think you just have to ride it out (and it is totally yuck, I sympathise) - but it won't be long and all will be much much better I promise xxx

I have a whole list of things that helped but only for a while then i had to find something else to help with the sickness

1) travel bands
2) bolied sweets (murry mints)
3) ready salted crisps
4) cloudy lemonade
5) ginger biscuits
6) Rhubarb yoghurt
7) lemon juice (as in squash!)

Forgot the rest but if you are anything like me it might mean you have to change these things on a weekly if not daily basis!

Oh forgot to say - congratulation on your pregnancy!

thank you everyone for your responses! It really helps to know i'm not going mad, and am heading to Tesco to buy a variety of new goodies (i have bought everything off the shelf that contains ginger..)

had my first bout of sickness this morning on the train to work - had to get off at wimbledon station and ride it out on a bench, but it did eventually pass, and i was able to continue my journey. I guess it's just about remembering to be calm and trust the moments pass, eventually...

Thanks again! And hope everyone else feels ok too.

Kate x

i tried ginger biscuits & flat sparkling mineral water(yuck but it worked great!) with my last pregnancy,but they didnt work this time so im now sucking on barley sugar sweets or foxes glacier mints,great help :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back