Treatment question?

mrs nel

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I hope i'm not offending anyone by posting here but I've just had a little read at some of your posts and they've gotten me thinking.

Hubby and I have been trying to conceive for 15 cycles with no joy so far. We are under referral to the infertility clinic at the moment and so far all they have found is that I have fibroids. however they have told me that this shouldn't be affecting me falling pregnant due to their positioning. Hubby has also been for sperm sample analysis but we wont get those results until we go back. We are going back on the 19th Aug, 6 weeks tomorrow. I currently weigh 15st 7lbs with a BMI of 37. It's disgusting, I know. They have told me if I need any treatment I need to get my BMI down to 30, this would mean me getting down to 12st 12lbs and see me loosing 2st 9lbs.

So what I am wondering is, how long were you lovely ladies ttc before you received any treatment or the decision was made to try IVF etc. And if applicable, did you have to loose weight to be suitable for IVF?

Thanks ladies,
Lynne
xxx

Hi, my bmi was about 25 when we got referred so I didnt need to loose weight. We had been trying for 7 months before we went to the drs she did the basic tests and found abnormalities on the SA. We then went to the assisted conception unit and it took us about 12 months from our first apt to actually doing our IVF cycle.
Best of luck x

We went for tests after about 10 months of trying, were offered IVF 2 months later which was January and could have had it as soon as March/April had we not been going away and getting married.
My BMI was fine so didn't need to lose/gain weight.

Hey, I had to wait a year and a half to get treatment but had been trying for 3 years. I had to loose weight before they would reccomend me for any treatment. I weighed 16 st 10 and went down to 8 st 12 which was almost an 8 st loss so you can definetly do it. Loosing only 10 % of my body weight made my cycle comr back firstly. I then did get pregnant but sadly had a mc. I then had other isues.

I dont think that the weight is the sole reason I didnt get pregnant at all and I think that it is always an easy target to blame. I needed IUI to have my gorgeous 18 day old son and I would not have got the IUI at my original weight. If you take it in small targets at a time not expecting huge losses. The thought of treatment if u need it can be your motivation. Hopefully you wont need it though and you get your BFP really soon!!

I was trying for a year before going to GP who reffered Mr straight away as I was approaching 35. However I was referred to another hospital first before fertility clinic. Tell your GP to reffer you straight to fertility clinic not local hospital as they can't do much there and it kinda wastes time if there is a problem. I didnt have to loose any weight as my BMI was fine but the criteria does state your BMI must be less than 30 to have UVF this is because weight affects the outcome of fertility treatment.

You can do it so good luck!! Let every doc you see know you're working on brining your weight down as this is the first thing they will blame and ask you to do!!

My friend is doing this Body by Vi challenge a shake for breakfast and lunch and a proper dinner and she says its amazing - I've noticed results but not asked her how much she's lost. It's also very healthy and nutritious - maybe have a look into it?!

M x

As you are under 35 you might have to wait 2 years, over 35 is 6 months, although I believe some ladies under 35 can get help sooner, it might depend on the area.

Thanks ladies, my cycles vary from 29 to 34 days so I always know when she is going to appear!
I will loose the weight, I know I will cause it's not just for me. Its for my long awaited bambino!

Thanks for all your replies ladies I really appreciate it,
Lynne,
Xxx

Of course you will! Just think about holding your baby in your arms good luck xx

Hi mrsnel, just speaking from personal experience, when we got engaged I was 12st 5lb and looked huge as I'm a short arse ;) I was determined not to look like that for my wedding so started slimming world. I did it very slowly and had a few months where I just didn't care (when i'd had my mc) but overall I lost 2 stone in 18 months. It would have been about 6-8 months if I'd have tried harder and not shot back up after my mc. Not sure if you've tried it before but it's soooo easy nowadays (I didn't do any of that red & green malarkey, I just did the 'extra easy' plan) and I found it great because it didn't feel like dieting, I got to eat loads which I found really helpful as I'm one of those people that's always hungry! I put on about half a stone since my wedding cuz i stopped doing the plan and I'm not too fussed but I know it's always there if I need it. If you're looking to shift a fair bit quickly I'd highly recommend it. I know when I was going to the meetings, a lot of the ladies would lose about half a stone just in the first couple of weeks! I wish you lots of luck with it all. Xxx

Thanks Lucy,

Yeh I did slimming world for my wedding and that's were I lost this 2 stones previously. So I know what to do and how to do it - its just getting organised and pulling my finger out and actually doing it!

xxx

You'll do it hun, and having a target date and weight really helps doesnt it :) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back