Traveling Abroad While Pregnant

Discussion in 'Forum Friends' started by bobtheunfortunateone, Jun 2, 2005.

1. bobtheunfortunateone

bobtheunfortunateone Well-Known Member

Hi everybody!

This is my first pregnany so excuse me for being alittle over protective I was going abroad on the 20th June but I haave cancelled that as I will only just be 12 weeks pregnant (12 wks on the 21st) but I also have a holiday planned in August to Cancun Mexico, I thought if my scan is all ok then I should go as I have been told it's perfectly okay and it will be the last time me & my hubby can go alone! But it is such along flight and I will probably not be able to go on the longer day trips, as anyone been or going abroad?
    Was everything fine? How long did you stay in the sun? I surpose the swimming will be good! What about local food (I know to drink only bottled water! What did you do on the long flight! any advice or reasurance would be greatfully received! (Oh and the holiday in June was only to see the mother in law so no great loss!! :lol: :shock:

2. lexie

lexie Member

Hello,

I went to sardinia when i was 20 weeks. On take off the little one kicked like mad but nothing else. The dr said to drink loads and walk around a bit. Although much shorted flight than mexico.

As for the sun - i am quite dark skinned anyway and don't burn easily but i still put factor 25 on and didn't let bump stay inthe sun for long. I also found that i got hot very quickly and needed to drink loads more water than usual.

The only other ting is be careful if swimming, don't jump into cool pool when been in sun as has too much of a temp difference for the little one.

Apart from that the usual rules of food apply.

3. jo jo

jo jo Well-Known Member

Hi

Im 5 weeks pregnant and am flying to the Dominican Republic next friday, i was also worried as so early on in my pregnancy but my midwife has assured me that it is perfectly safe to fly untill the later stages of pregnancy. Avoid the milk, eggs, make sure the salad has been washed in mineral water and not tap water.

4. bobtheunfortunateone

Thanks for your replies! I sure I will be ok! Just worry about being so far away from home and pregnant!

Just read that I have to drink lots of water! and make sure I know what is in certain dishes! Can we have barbeque meat? Love barbaques I suppose as long as the meat is cooked and I had not having mayo, cocktail sauce ohhh dear I fancy it now!

5. scared 19

scared 19 Well-Known Member

I no that most of you said everything would be ok but i have to reasured right worry wort me :? but i am going to spain on the 29th of june so do you think it will be ok, i will be just approaching 12 wks i think..... any ideas??

:D

6. bobtheunfortunateone

That is when I was going, I would turn 12weeks while I was there! I decided not to go but we changed it to August and some where hotter! I decided that if anything went wrong I wanted to be here! (Oh and I was visiting the mother in law ) As My hubby says me and baby bean are more important than any holiday! but people and my doctor said I was OK to travel as long as you check with your insurance, I just worry alot with it being my first, and I've wanted it for a long time, but remember you could do with a holiday before you have a baby, because it will be butlins from now on!!!!!

If that worried then move it back a few weeks, we thought it was worth the cost just for the peice of mind!

7. bobtheunfortunateone

Hi I have seen my midwife today and she said it is fine to go abroad at any time up to when the air line will take me, soo long as I check with my insurance and the holiday company!

I can eat salad (Does not need to be cleaned in mineral water as been told)
    Just be careful of shell fish sauces! some are abit iffy! Now alot more comfy!

Sorry for worrying!

8. scared 19

scared 19 Well-Known Member

That makes me feel better!

:D

9. bobtheunfortunateone

me too hot weather here we come! *starts packing, oh wait need bigger clothes by then, woo hoo shopping trip time!!!!* :lol:

wish I didn't cancel my holiday in a couple of weeks time now! oh well only to see the in laws (Ummm benifits to being preggas you know!)

10. Rosieroo

Rosieroo Well-Known Member

When we go in October I will be 27 weeks so will need a fit to fly letter as we return when I am 29 weeks. A bit worried about the flight as we are going to Orlando. Guess I will just have to keep moving about if poss!

11. bobtheunfortunateone

oh I hope there is plent of room in the seat to get the tray down, hope you don't get a hipper active kid in the seat infront or a pig ignerant person who decides to have there seat down! I always get them! Manchester to Gatwick then on to cancun, just been told to walk around and drink lots of water! but think of it when you get there, relaxing by the pool with your non alcohol cocktail! (Ahh bliss) have a nice time! it will be fine! oh we have an excuse to tell the people infront off, we don't normally! (My hubby is great at complaining, when needed)

XX Cat and Baby bean xx

12. hels

hels Well-Known Member

Hi Cat,
    We came back from Cancun in march, it was fab, although I wasnt Preggers. Im sure it will be ideal for you totally relaxing, The food was ok too, are you going all inclusive???
    Were going to Bulgaria next week, which will be nice and relxing ill only be about 7wks, but I live for hols and have decided still to go.
    when do you go again???
    Enjoy, Love Hels xx

13. bobtheunfortunateone

hi Hels

Yep going all inclusive (I dont go on holiday to cook oh no no no) In August Looking forward to it and will have to buy lots of new holiday clothes (Whooo ooohhhh!) Long floaty dresses here I come! And You know what I am soo looking forward to it now! Still Glad I didn't go before I'm past the danger period I am such a worrier! But get my scan the week I should have gone away, soo excellent! But I will miss sunbathing I love my Sun by the pool with my pina colada! ohhhhh wellll *sighs* But at least we get a good holiday before the "Little ones" come! and I am giving up work to be a full time mummy so will be too broke next year! But we are lucky to have family in Spain, so not too bad!!

Have a nice Holls!

Thanks for replying

Cat and baby bean

14. hels

hels Well-Known Member

Nice one, you'll have a great time, Loads of virgin coladas!!!!
    I really enjoyed mexico, lots of good memories.
    Enjoy Babe!
    Hels

15. jo jo

jo jo Well-Known Member

Hi

Ive just come back from 2 weeks in the Dominican Republic. If you are going on holiday in pregnancy please be very careful where you go. I went away with my partner and another couple and we were all ill. I ad food poisining and had to be put on a drip to stop me from being sick, also was given tablets to stop me being sick also im so scared i dont know what effect there may have had on the baby yet ( have midwife appontment on Tuesday). All i eat for a whole week was bread and butter which normally came back up aswell as my folic acid tablets.

I would never go away whilst pregnant again.

Please read the reviews from your hotels.