Travel... Taking the plunge!

Mel32

Reaction score
I have a 15 week old so Apologies for using this section but as others said some of the other sections seem to be dying out and I figured lots of you might be mums already in here.

After much 'indecisiveness'... We booked a holiday to Paris this week but we leave next week (ahhh! Panic ) just looking for any tips and experiences on travelling with a baby.

I bought a snoozeshade which seems brilliant I have tried it on our carseat and it seems perfect but I hear prams aren't always practical in Paris so I'm freaking out about temperature and sunburn using a carrier as it looks hot in Paris at the moment. Bought long-sleeved white bodysuits one for everyday - just cotton as I can't find much linen.for babies,I have two sunhat which are too big, keep finding 0-6m instead of 0-3, 3-6 Usually I love being out in the sun and swimming, I'm obsessed, so i know I need to adjust my thinking. Our apartment has a balcony so opportunity to get some sun while keeping him safely in the shade with one of us who isn't on the balcony. maybe we will need to do indoor sites during midday.

Any top tips or nice experiences of travel with a baby?

I'm taking my baby to Scotland in a week or so she will be 6 weeks and it's going to be a 18hr drive!! Luckily Scotland generally is not to hot but il be taking suncream, a hat though to big, to be honest il be taking a mix as it could be chilly.

You shouldn't put suncream on babies under 6m.
Take some thin cotton long sleeved clothes and muslins are good for shading the baby.

Have a fab time, Mel. I'm hoping to get a hol abroad in September with this lack of summer we've had, but will need to bribe my mum to pet sit and not sure if my older two kids will come, especially as my eldests passport has expired so would need to renew that.

Maybe sew some elastic in loosely for the hat to put underneath the chin to keep the hat in place. And just be sensible, keep in the shade during the peak of the sun etc. If you are travelling via plane and you bottle feed take pre packed formula, they will test it anyway but if it's a sealed packet you shouldn't be told to throw it away. X

Thanks for responses! I'm exclusively bfing so that's one less thing to pack thankfully.

I'm in Scotland blueclass, we are having the odd glorious day, so you never know. Are you going up to the Highlands or Islands? That sounds such a long drive!

Yes I was pretty determined to avoid suncream. Funnily enough wed tried to choose somewhere in the low 20s but think we didn't succeed.

Think I'll keep his clothes really simple. Like those cotton bodysuits with cotton trousers, will socks make him too hot? The snoozeshade is supposed to block 80% uv with the mesh that allows them to look out, and 97.5 when you fully zip it up. it's breathable too and isn't black so shouldn't get too hot
That should do the trick.

Although a holiday has been on our mind for ages, we didn't know where we were going and booked this soo last minute (waiting to sort his passport which only took about 1.5 weeks in the end)!). Thankfully his EHIC also arrived in time.

Anyone else going away?

Last edited:
Ooh h&m do legging and vest outfits and linen pants :) they kept my son cool in the hot weather without risking burning :) x

Do bring saline nose spray or drops, due to age perhaps only use them when required. If baby gets a temp and starts showing cold symptoms after the flight, this is like magic and gives you back your baby. It could be with the age you're at dummy and bottle will be enough but it's cheap enough to bring some would you need any... I recommend this to anyone because I flew a couple of times before a nice lady at the drug store helped me with this and since my ds does not get ill almost instantly when getting off the flight.

I don't know why prams wouldn't be practical in Paris? I'd imagine people have babies in Paris too while you're there just look around and see how Paris moms are doing it for ideas. For checking temp just check the chest temperature, obviously White is a good colour just use one or the other so either a vest or a sleepsuit as its at the chest where they are kept warm too. You can always remove socks and mittens to help ventilate but keep checking the chest for temp.

Don't worry too much about the temperatures, it's really the same as here just a little bit warmer unless it creeps up to 33+.

Maybe a umbrella pram will be easier than a whole travel system but as long as there's two of you, you can easily go up and down stairs and even then there's likely to be strangers around that will be happy to give a helping hand. Do remember you're likely to have automated fast track due to travelling with infant during boarding and passport controls and you can take the buggy up to the gate. If you ask for them to put a big massive R on the buggy tag asking if you could get ramp delivery you have chance that you get it back immediately after coming off the plane but this depends on where you arrive some airports don't do this and you'll have to collect of the belt!

The snoozeshade is excellent - we have one too. Just one tip with it, try to attach it to the pram so air can still circulate. When it is really hot, the temperature under the snoozeshade can be really high, which you'll want to avoid. But it is really great for sun protection and for helping keep it dark for nap times :)

Great replies thanks all! I agree surely the locals use prams?

we have the car seat version of snooze shade as we are taking pram chassis with car seat. He shouldn't be in it for long stretches without a good rest. But the snoozeshade is quite fitted. I will also put in our cold water bottles if the temperature is high. Glad to read positive things though!

Is yours the Silver breathable type? It still gets over heated? Xx

I might journal our trip on here actually although don't know if that will interest anyone

Xx

Last edited:
We got ours about 2.5 years ago and ours was a snoozeshade plus for pushchair/pram with a cream edging. I couldn't see that exact one on amazon when I checked a minute ago and the newer ones do seem to have larger ventilated areas on front, which is good.

Would love to read your travel journal :)

A travel journal would be interesting plus very helpful to other new mums x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back