Transport probs

Geordie&Bairn

Reaction score
I cant and have never even tried too learn to drive.
My James works in Reading and is away more then half the time.
I use a bike to get around but a month ago my bike was stolen out side of work. So i have been using a mates bike i cant keep it forever.
Also i am now feeling worried about the safety of riding a bike Cars and especialy lorries and buses dont give a toss about my life and are always causing my stress levels to rise. It also feel weired the sensation of my bump as i lean forward on the bike.
But my biggest gripe is the cost of public transport. And the fact you cant trust them to turn up on time and if they arrive early they dont wait.
I refuse to use it as i am disgusted at the cost of the bus its rediculous.
Form where i live to the center of Tonbridge is less then 10 minute its literly only up the road. It will cost me just under £5 a day. And as what ever shift i am on at work means getting a bus before 9 i can not get a return so have to by 2 singles. To purchase a monthly card i will have to fork out nearly £50. As a Northerner i feel sick at the waste of money. As a nursery nurse my wage is low so i use my bike to save me money. James takes me places when he is here but now wonts me to stop using my bike for safety reasons. And get lifts from his Dad (we live at his parents to save for our own home) But i feel really uncomftable asking him as i feel we already live here rent free. I hate it when we get stuck in traffic especialy when he has to be some where stright after. I feel even worse when he takes me picks, me up from babysitting (but we need the extra cash) aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
If it was my own parents i wouldnt feel guilty and my Mum said not to feel gulity as i am now carrying there Grandchild but it dosnt make it any better. Sorry just needed to rant and rave very stressed at the moment.

TBH I think you should learn to drive, the cost of public transport is only going to go up and up, and when you have a pushchair and a baby it'll get harder and harder and more frustrating when the buses are late and the weather is bad etc.
Can you not afford lessons? I know they are expensive, as is running a car, but in the long run worth it I think :)

I know where you're coming from as I live in a tiny town an hours bus ride from Aberdeen (only 30 mins by car!) and can't drive so often feel cut off.
Luckily I changed jobs just under a year ago so I only work 10minutes walk from home, although I hate my job as it's low paid and I'm over qualified for it I do enjoy the convenience.

If I were you I'd accept a lift from your Oh's dad for now, like your mum said its in the interest of his grandchilds safety and it's not forever (you'll be starting maternity leave before you know it).
I agree with the others that learning to drive would be the way forward if you could afford it. I need to do the same myself!

Public transport seems expensive but is far cheaper than runnning a car! I've had driving lessons but never sat my test and I have decided it's not worth the hassle and expense. OH can drive but we decided not to get a car. I live less than 30 minutes walk from the town centre, which is where I work so this probably helps :D I haven't been able to walk to work while pregnant but my bus fares cost so much less than running a car would, though my bus fares are only £2.60 a day.

A lot of people say that I will need to know how to drive when baby is here but I think the £1000+ a year could be better spent. So many people do ridiculous journeys in their car - distances that would take 10 minutes to walk. And I know I would end end becoming one of those people :D The more walking you do, the more chocolate you can eat I figure :rotfl:

There's no chance that someone at work already drives by your home or somewhere close to it? If they do, they may happily give you a lift each day. Otherwise, accept the lifts from his Dad and then buy him presents so you feel less guilty and he feels appreciated. Assuming you work 5 days a week he would be saving you £25 a week. You could buy him a nice £20ish present each month and still be saving £80

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back