Transition to toddler bed

Discussion in 'Baby & Toddler' started by Hunnie, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Hunnie

Hunnie Well-Known Member

We moved LO into a toddler bed a few weeks ago and luckily for us she took to it like a duck to water. I thought she wouldn't even sleep in the bed let alone stay in it but she proved me wrong and for the first week it was absolutely brilliant as she would happily sleep in it and stay in it till coming up for 8am after she had gone to bed at 7:30pm!!

Now the problem we have is that LO has started getting out of her bed in the middle of the night and climbing in with us without us knowing. I only realised what she had done when I woke up the other night on the edge of the bed with OH snoring on one side and her sprawled out in the middle!!!!

Her room door is currently broken so doesn't close properly but I really don't like the idea of closing it properly anyway and kind of trapping her in her room so that isn't an option at all and never will be for keeping her in her room.

I'm not really sure how we can keep her in her bed, the only other thing I can think of is putting the spare baby gate on her room and making sure it's closed at night?

Anyone have any other ideas?? I'm also not sure when to try the baby gate as she's been poorly the last 2 days so obviously been coming into our room while she feels ill to come find us but last night I must have put her back to bed at least 4 times! I really refuse to let her come and sleep in our bed but at the same time while she's poorly I don't really want to be having tantrums at 2am in the morning because she can't get to us while she's feeling rough??

2. Hope81

Hope81 Well-Known Member

Hey, obviously I have no experience at that but here is what I think I would do.
    My mum had a policy once in bed you don't get out unless its for potty. If you want sth else you shout at mummy to come to you. Probably your little girl is too little to understand maybe that though and call you every time she needs you? That can also backfire and call you all the time so I am not really sure what you can do for toddlers (I was a little older I think)
    I think I would leave the door open and put a gate but after she feels a little better?
    One more idea is you to sleep in her room until she feels all better but not sure if I would want to start this habit either.
    I am far from experienced with that but I hear it way too often that toddlers keep getting out of their bed and you have to keep putting them back.
    It may be sth that you have to ride it out?
    Sorry I can't come with good ideas, I just didn't want to read and run as I don't like seeing unanswered threads.
    Hopefully mums with toddlers will soon share their experience with you.

Oh one last think, as I recently read a horror story on the Facebook, make sure you secure absolutely everything on the wall in her room even small low and not heavy drawers.

3. Hunnie

Hunnie Well-Known Member

Yeah I think we are just going to have to ride it out after she is better again and ill go back to sleepless nights lol. I really don't want to start habits of me having to sleep with her or her coming in to our bedroom. My mum taught us very much like your mum did!

She's already been up twice. All she does though is come and look for me in our room or have a whinge at the baby gate if I'm downstairs and when I go to her she happily walks back into her room and gets back into her bed and goes back to sleep with no problems at all until the next time where she does the same thing again.

4. tinytoes

tinytoes Well-Known Member

We had this with lily at first and it was so tedious . The first thing we did was lock any other rooms between ours and hers that she could get into especially the bathroom and make sure her room was safe because she was climbing a lot . Then it was just a matter of riding it out , keep putting her in her own room . I also invested in a gro-clock sand the girls know they can't wake us until the sun it on the clock .

5. wifeywifey

wifeywifey Well-Known Member

We used a baby gate and put a monitor in the room so if he woke we would hear him. It was too dangerous to let him roam because of all the stairs in our house and no way to attach a gate

6. Hunnie

Hunnie Well-Known Member

Can you adjust it so in summer the sun doesn't go onto the screen till at least 8 hahaha???

Well surprisingly last night after the 2 episodes of her getting out of bed she didn't come into our room till 20 past 6 and then went back to bed in her room till half 8 after OH put her back to bed on his way out to work xx