totally confused

annaespana1

Reaction score
I am totally confused about my dates after hospital visit on Tuesday - they worked out my first set of dates according to my last period which made the due date the 25th dec making me 34+5 but after the ecography scan they did measurements and gave me a date of the 15th dec making me 36+2. What should I go on?
It shouldn't make a difference really (people say he'll come when he's ready) but living over in Spain with all of the family in England and Scotland I really wanted to know roughly when he'll be arriving (esp 'cause my mum and dad need to book flights in advance as dad is terminally ill and needs lots of support at the airport and on the flight.

:? AARGGHH- what do you all think???

sorry to say... but... you cant really predict when a baby is going to come.. perhaps it would be a better idea for your parents to either book before the baby is due.. and come for alonger or for them to come after?

It could be either, it can depend on your cycle length. Having said that it shouldn't be that much of a difference as they are bringing you forward. I'm the opposite - my cycles are 40 days long so I am and have always been due 12 days later than when the docs predict as they go by a 28 day cycle.

As for the scan, Imo at this stage in pregnancy they cant give an accurate foetal age as all babies grow at different rates.

Did you have a scan around 12weeks? I would go by the date they gave you for that scan as that is when dating is most accurate- babies grow roughly the same rate til 12w then there is individual variation after that.

Maybe to be safe they could come a couple of weeks after you are due then you should definately have had LO?

Didn't get that info if the scan at 12 weeks was a growth scan or not- it's difficult dealing in another language and when it's your first you don't know what to expect or what questions to ask.
Spoke to mum last night and we've sort of decided that she'll have to come over when it looks like labour is on-setting- dad needs so much care at mo he couldn't come over for a long period so to come before the 15th and possibly stay until 9th jan (if I am 2 weeks late from org dates) is totally impossible.
I know there is nothing they can do about that but I am gutted mum will prob not be there for the birth :cry:

In Spain they generally go by your LMP date rather than your scan date. After all in the last few weeks babies can be big. I know it can be confusing though because I have been given at least 4 due dates since becoming pregnant and tbh I don't know which one is which...

If you are like me and being dealt with by the hospital gyno because of complications, then it will probably be your scan date that they will look too because it will be them who will induce/c section you at the end of the day if they feel they should.

If you have had a relatively simple pregnancy and your care is being dealt with via your mw.. then you will go on your LMP dates, because the scan dates change left right and centre tbh.

You can speak to your midwife about it to see when they are likely to induce you if you go over. I also know that my midwife is very panicky about the baby getting bigger than 3.5kg. Obviously Spanish women are far smaller than Northern Europeans and I think that there is a standard weight limit that they have.... So it might be worth just having a chat with her...

Also if you are struggling with the language then definitely take a translator along with you... I know they cost money, but at the end of the day it will be money well spent if you can speak to your mw and have your mind put at rest. :)

I have the same problem. My original date was the 28th December and then from the first scan, they changed it to 16th December, so depending on which one I go by, Jeni is either going to be 2 and a half weeks early or a month early next week. Not alot I can do about it though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back