Too young for baby rice?

Lou

Reaction score
Hi

Isaac is having 4-5 9oz bottles a day now and he still sucks my shoulder! lol He doesnt always drink the whole 9oz, sometimes he only has 4oz but he started draining 8oz bottles a couple of times a day so I am making up 9oz a time so he doesn't drain them and get wind.

Do you think he is too young for baby rice?

I'm going to ask at his 8 week check on tuesday but thought I'd ask you first.

Lou :)

my mums neighbour started both her babies on baby rice at 4 weeks coz they were just draining every bottle. she made it very runny, it just fills belly up a little more and takes longer to digest.

i know they say dont start solids until 4- 6 months but i think baby rice can be an except, alana started about 10 weeks, and weve only just starter proper baby jars now she is 4 months

hope this helps

I started my first born (19 years ago though) on Baby Rice at around 6 weeks because he was so unhappy and hungry all the time. Hes now a healthy strapping lad !!.

Know that they recommend waiting until 4-6 months (depending on who you speak to now) but with everything I think it depends on each individual child and how you feel. Lets face it, you know your baby..not the text books/health visitors.

Ragna xxxx

They say wait till 6 months olds, but if you feel Issac is ready then I'd go with your judgement. My mum used to give my brother mushed up milk+rusks when he was 4 weeks old and there is nothing wrong with him.
Go with your instincts hun xx

i'd be very carefull and if you do introduce it only introduce a small amount once a day and see if she has any reaction to it as it may give her chronic wind. she is only young so if she is hungry then she is asking for food because she is hungry! i introduced baby rice to my boy must have been around 14weeks but it made no difference to the amount he was taking from a bottle because he was only able to take a small amount of rice and if i gave him to much i paid the price by seeing him scream with wind. they recommend starting rice no sooner than 17weeks.
See how you go

Baby Rice might be ok but keep away from baby yoghurts or any dairy food. My health visitor said that was a big no no. :D

Have to say he must be a hungry baby!! Phoebe is over 2mths and still on 6oz every 3hrs and then she goes through the night so is still only on 6 bottles in 24hrs. She doesn't always drink all of it either.

Have you considered milk for hungrier babies?

adding soilds is fine as long as you dont wean, weaning starts from 6 months old but you can add soilds from as early as 2 months.

being as he is only a month old tho i would be careful, it can give him a very upset tummy.

Coby is taking 4 to 6oz every 4 hours and my MW said as long as he isnt being sick then its fine so let him drink as much as he wants, she said not to put him on hungrier baby milk as its thicker and causes probs.

but what they tell you and everyone else is pretty text book stuff, so your best off doing what you think is best

xxx

ah sorry, just seen that hes 1 month and 3 weeks, so hes almost 2 months now anyway, i dont think a little bit of very runny rice will hurt then at this age, just dont give him loads

xxx

I know things have changed a lot in 13 years, but I breastfed my daughter for the first 6 weeks, then put her on SMA gold. Within a week she was onto the SMA white for hungry babies, and still starving!!!! The HV told me to mash a quarter of a rusk in some formula, then pour it back into the bottle to thicken the milk up. She said to just be careful that there were no lumps or it would block the teat.

I think a HV would probably be shot for suggesting this these days, but it worked for my daughter.

i tried doing the above and no matter now much i mashed it - it continually blocked the teat and made the bottle go all greasy and horrible.
rusks and or baby rice are not designed to go in a bottle.
you also risk baby choking. :?

My mum was given baby rice from 4 weeks of age as she was such a hungry baby. At 6 months she weighed 25lb.
No wonder Ella is such a chuggy pig! :lol:

Thank you all for your replies.

Isaac has his 8 week check up tomorrow so i'll post what they say.

Last night he had 9oz at 9pm so I put him to bed and set my alarm clock for 1am so I could wake him and feed him but when it went off he was so flat out I left him sleeping and he was still asleep at 8am when I woke him for a feed! Lazy bugger he is! He is in bed now after another 9oz.

Sounds like he doesn't need any baby rice, I think he'll be comatose!! You're really lucky he sleeps so well, I'm dealing with 1 night feed at the moment which I can handle fine, but it would be lovely to have a night of uninterrupted sleep!!

Have you noticed that he's sleeping better since he's been in his own room?

Oh I envy you!!!!

I have to get up at 1 am then 3 am then 5 am then 7 and 8 am to feed him, i am so tired!!!!

I am introducing him gently to formula but it is not easy, he does not really want it and will refuse the bottle most of the time. He has 2 massive breats next to him so why would he want to go on a bottle? :roll:

OH not interested in feeding him so am stuck :?

OH not interested in feeding him so am stuck

You mean he refuses to feed his own son?!?!? You poor thing :(

Have you tried giving him expressed milk from a bottle to get him used to taking it from there?

I would just warn about this, I asked my health visitor before about adding baby rice to a bottle and she said definatly not, as babies stomachs are to immature before 4 months to properly digest anything other than milk.
I know this will seem a weird analogy! but one of my mums dogs was abandoned as a puppy so had to be weaned early and as a result her stomach never developed properly and even know when she is 8 years old she still has a sensitive stomach and gets dioreah really easily, Perhaps this is where humans Get IBS from???

also if you over feed a baby and they become over weight, those fat stores are with them for life, making them more likely to be over weight as children and adults. I whould say that if your baby is following there line on the weight chart in your baby book, there is no need to change what they are eating. I thought Noah would never make it to 4 months before weening as he was on SMA white at 3 weeks, but he has been great with his weight gain and we start weening tomorrow!

My health visitor also said definilty not to attempt ANY food before 4 months.
Her reason was that it can cause kidney damage as their digestive system isn't mature enough.

Hi

Isaac had his check up and all is well. HV said no baby rice or anything other than formula till he is 6 months old! So I just need to feed him more formula.

Oh and yes he is sleeping much much better now he is in his own bedroom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back