too much?

Bunnykins

Reaction score
I think my Lo is having his 4 month growth spurt because the last 2 nights I've fed him 20 mins on each boob (so 40mins) then he is still hungry so he is downing an entire carton of hungry baby milk (about 8oz/210ml) then going back on my boob for 5 mins before he is finally satisfied enough to sleep, if I don't do this he screams with hunger. Because I breast feed I haven't got a clue about ounces etc as I just feed Lo whenever he wants it and don't have a clue how much he's getting but I do know he feeds a lot!

I know its only temporary as he did it for 5 days during his 3month growth spurt but he was only taking half a carton about 4oz then. I'm just a bit worried by the sheer volume he's having before bed and whether I might be damaging his tummy? Or if its ok as it will only be for another couple of nights then we'll be back to being ok with a boob feed?

Don't worry, all sounds fine. He is stopping when he has had enough so he's not being overfed at all. It is hard to know when BFing how much they are getting but just trust LO and that he knows what he needs.

He's telling you when he wants more and he stops when he's had enough so that is good signs.

Don't worry hun everything sounds fine xxx

Thanks! Yeh I don't force it down him it just seems to be what he wants, plus its only the one feed before bed that this happens, rest of the feeds he is happy to cluster on me. It just seems by the end of the evening after 40 mins on them it isn't coming out fast enough for him so he gets frustrated and pulls off screaming and won't latch again hence the need for a bottle in the middle, I was giving him expressed milk but he seemed so hungry I've been using the formula cartons to help fill him, once this growth spurt finishes I'm sure he will go back to just the 40 mins on me then settle for bed again. It seems to be something he just does for a week during a spurt. I'm happy to let him guide me as to his hunger but just had a moment of doubt last night as it seemed like a lot of milk and I panicked that maybe I should be being careful, good to know its ok and my instincts are fine!!!!!.

Last edited:
This has happened to me and my daughter this week. Monday and Tuesday night she was feeding non stop during the night plus a top up of formula. She's been fine the past couple of nights tho so just putting it down to a four month growth spurt.

Glad to know its not just mine :) damn growth spurts!!!

I know I feel like I'm constantly saying 'it must be a growth spurt'. I wish she would slow down a little!

Kynon is going through his growth spurt now too. Hes the same draining both sides and wanting more. Trouble is he won't take a bottle so i have to just sit there all night swapping boobs! We're practising with a cup in case he needs more than i can give him. Its so tiring!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Kynon is going through his growth spurt now too. Hes the same draining both sides and wanting more. Trouble is he won't take a bottle so i have to just sit there all night swapping boobs! We're practising with a cup in case he needs more than i can give him. Its so tiring!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I'm the same as you hun and I'm knackered lol! Didn't know about this four month spurt....ours has been going on for 3 weeks :( x

Sent from my sparkly new 4s!!!

Yey I think the spurt is over! He was fine with just a normal bf before bed last night, no bottle needed :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back