Too many layers?

Jolly81

Reaction score
Hello all!!

I'm so confuddled about clothes, layering and blankets. In hospital it was pretty warm and they were covering him in 3 cellular blankets folded once, so 6 layers, as well as a vest and a babygro.

My midwife told me when she came round the other day that was too much and to just have one cellular blanket folded (2layers). But last night the temperature in my bedroom was 19.5 and he felt freezing so we had to put another folded blanket on him.

Now today it's 22.5 in my sitting room, he has one folded blanket and the usual babygro and vest, but I'm absolutely sweltering and his neck feels pretty warm and he's a bit red cheeked (currently sleeping).

I'm so clueless if this is too much- would there ever be a time to dress him in jut a vest?

So confused and terrified of making him too hot!!!

When it's around 18/19 degrees in my bedroom my lo has a vest, sleepsuit and 2.5 sleeping bag. When she was too little for the bag she had 2 cellular blankets on folded in half.

Right now she's been in just a vest all day. I'm not sure of the temp in my room but it is cool in here but she seems happy in just a vest!

James is in a baby-grow at the moment.

He'll sleep in a baby-grow and 1 tog sleeping bag.

Sorry I am not much help as I still don't know what to put him in as we've not had much warm weather?

xxxx

Last edited:
Babies need one layer extra so vest and babygrow.
Was vey warm when i had keira.so.we.did this and a blanket folded x

Hello all!!

I'm so confuddled about clothes, layering and blankets. In hospital it was pretty warm and they were covering him in 3 cellular blankets folded once, so 6 layers, as well as a vest and a babygro.

My midwife told me when she came round the other day that was too much and to just have one cellular blanket folded (2layers). But last night the temperature in my bedroom was 19.5 and he felt freezing so we had to put another folded blanket on him.

Now today it's 22.5 in my sitting room, he has one folded blanket and the usual babygro and vest, but I'm absolutely sweltering and his neck feels pretty warm and he's a bit red cheeked (currently sleeping).

I'm so clueless if this is too much- would there ever be a time to dress him in jut a vest?

So confused and terrified of making him too hot!!!

Glad its not just me whos confused.

My lo has 2 cellular blankets folded in his moses basket. He normaly slerps in a vest and sleepsuit but the last 2 nights hes not had a vest on. X

I am paranoid about overheating Cay.

I know if he's too cold, he'll cry. I worry if he's too warm he'll just lay there roasting.

At night, he's in a set of jammies and a sleeping bag (I don't put vests on at night, just jammies).
A couple of nights when it's been really warm, I've not put him in his bag, just put him in his cot with a blanket at the end in case he wakes up cold (not needed it yet).
A couple of nights when it's been really cold, he's had jammies, bag, and scratch mitts (cause his hands were freezing, and I know they say not to worry about hands and feet, but they were little ice blocks and I felt mean).

When we stayed at a friends house and it was super-cold, I had him in jammies and socks, scratch mitts, bag, and two blankets (both folded, so four layers).

During the day at the moment, he's in a sleeveless vest, shorts and a t-shirt, but it's pretty hot where I am at the mo (17-18 during the day).
Last week when it was cooler but still nice, he had short-sleeved vest, t-shirt, jeans and socks (with or without trainers).
When it's been cold, he's had long-sleeve vest, t-shirt, jeans, socks, trainers, jumper/cardi, and one folded blanket thrown over his legs.
If its been really cold, he has a hat too, but he pulls them straight off unless he's cold enough to want it. Xx

I go with the whole one layer more than me. I took my son out for a walk before in a long sleeved vest and trousers. There was a woman who had her baby out in a snow suit and blanket on the pram! WTF?!

I have no idea to be honest. I have her in a gro and sleep suit then swaddle her in a big cellular blanket and when it gets to about 1am it's a little colder So I put a little knitted blanket in top. It's been ok so far. When it gets hotter in the evenings I'll have her in a vest and use a large muslin/cellular blanket.

She sleeps in a baby gro and up until last night has been swaddled in a cellular blanket, last night it was stupidly hot so just covered her with the blanket.

Today she is rocking a romper suit with socks, had blanket and Muslins to cover her whilst we have been out.

Sent from my new shiny iPhone using Tapatalk

I must have a really hot baby cos Evan only sleeps in a short sleeved vest most nights. He's been just in a vest all day today as well and still feels relly hot

It's an absolute nightmare trying to decide what's best. Like your LO, AmyQ, mine is always very warm. During the day during winter, she would wear a vest under her clothes, but ever since it got to around 12 degrees outside, she's not worn a vest. Most days she's in a top, tights and dungarees or a dress and tights. When we go out I just put a little jacket on her.

Nights are always awkward as temperature when you put them to bed is not the same as at 3am! Mine sleeps in a babygro/jammies and a 1.5 tog bag and is plenty warm enough (we put her in the warmer sleeping bag a couple of weeks ago when the temperature dipped and she just got really sweaty!!!). Last year, when we actually had properly hot weather, she just slept in a short sleeved vest. One night she was just in her nappy!

The guidelines are probably based on the average baby (which no one will have) and I think it's always better for them to be slightly cooler than too hot.

Max likes to be cooler as he's a hot baby. He's been in just a babygrow or jammies lately, no vest but tonight his room is really warm so he's gone to sleep in just a vest. I've jut draped a blanket over him and he's sleeping lovely xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back