Too many do's and dont's for my liking!!!

Jodie_2013

Reaction score
So everyone goes on about deli meats I thought theyeant just
Normal chrozio and cured meats. But this is ham too??? Well my pregnancy diet do far has had a lot of fresh ham in It I love the stuff! My step mum even cooked a massive joint yesterday and we had it cold?
Can I no longer eat this then? Even though I feel perfectly fine?
Getting fed up with do this and don't do that to be honest x

I was wondering about this too....I don't see what's wrong with ham.... X

I don't either supermarkets wouldn't sell it if it was reaking of bacteria and out of date!!!!
I eat my whole body weight of fresh ham last night so I have no idea if I should be worried oooops x

I've had it in sandwiches still but have cut down as I used to easily go through a pack a week and was worried after being advised I shouldn't have deli meats... I don't get what would be wrong with ham as long as it is in date and stored properly in fridge etc...

Xx

Oh I didn't realise it was ham too...I've still been eating it but been avoiding things like chorizo. X

I think ham is fine as its a cooked meat. Cured meats are sometimes uncooked, which is the problem, which is solved if you cook them - ie pepperoni on pizza etc.

Don't let the food paranoia get to you too much. I had to tell my hubby off today as he was telling me the wrap i ate for lunch today "had mayo in it" - I'm pretty sure commercial sandwich companies don't make up fresh egg mayo to sell in sandwiches!!!!

Thank god I'm not the only one!!! Haha!!! I'm fed up of it to be honest and someone told me hot dogs!!??? I don't eat tinned ones but I've eaten frankfurter hot dogs??? I did midwifery for god sake and I know bugger all haha x

I eat ham and pepperoni all the time!!

mummy to ds 11/7/11
pregnant *team pink* due 12/9/13

Haha, I'm sure midwifery courses don't cover every individual bit of food you can and can't have. I guess it comes down to being sensible, surely? I think frankfurters are ok, i boil mine well, or they get cooked through on bbq glazed in mustard...mmmmmmmmm.

Don't trust everything you read online!

I tend to think that if years and years ago people just did what they wanted when pregnant then why is it different now? Obviously there are some exceptions but think you can overthink a lot of things!

I was very unsure at the beginning and found a list online - checked with my midwife and she pretty much laughed in my face :( haha

Haha thanks for making me feel better girls!!!! Just wish i would stop worrying at every little thing. Then someone said to get listeria and pass it to the baby sometimes u won't get symptoms but surely if my baby was hurt
By something I had eaten id be poorly too? I hope I'm more relaxed with subsequent pregnancies x

Having worked on a deli counter I would avoid buying anything from there while pregnant. But surely packet ham is fine?

----------------
baby giz born 6th Feb 2011
next one due 12th Aug 2013

And I thought salami etc were back on the list anyway? I'm sure when I checked 6 months ago, the risks are so low that they aren't advising giving up dry cured meats anymore.

----------------
baby giz born 6th Feb 2011
next one due 12th Aug 2013

If you've cooked it yourself, or its from a packet ham would be fine. It's uncooked meats that are just cured you need to be careful of as the bacteria isn't killed off. If it's cooked it is. Ham is always cooked. Deli counters 'could' potentially leave meat lying around too long I guess, there's the risk, but in supermarkets these days that's unlikely!
Just be sensible. Xx

I just eat everything. I know some people might think that is bad but I wouldn't eat anything that has been sat out for a long time or that looks dodgy but I just think the risk is so small. I've been eating deli meats, runny eggs, all cheeses and sushi. I love salmon sashimi which is raw salmon but I only eat it when I know it's really fresh. I read up a lot on sushi because I love it but people kept making comments about me having it. I found out the chance of you actually getting ill from it is about 1 in 2 million!!!

The only thing I won't eat is shellfish because the risk of food poisoning is much higher.

I always eat ham, pepperoni, chirizo etc, love the stuff and no probs so far *touch wood* x

With the other ladies - you just have to be sensible.

I've eaten runny eggs all the way through, but always stamped eggs, and I have them flipped so there are no raw bits.

Last week I did avoid a buffet at a funeral because the pub was a bit rough and I didn't trust how they had prepped all the food :lol:

I agree with the other ladies. We just have to use our common sense and judge for ourselves about the freshness and quality of foods and whether we trust the places we've bought them and where it's been prepared. Most things are a minimal risk as long as you use good judgement.

Having said that I was taking a food order from a pregnant lady at work at the weekend and I asked her if she wanted garlic bread with her lasagne. She absolutely bit my head off and snapped 'well I can't have garlic bread can I, I'm pregnant!' really loudly lol. I just said ok then and went and had a laugh in the kitchen. It's just bread and butter ffs! Lol never heard that one before.

Having said that I was taking a food order from a pregnant lady at work at the weekend and I asked her if she wanted garlic bread with her lasagne. She absolutely bit my head off and snapped 'well I can't have garlic bread can I, I'm pregnant!' really loudly lol. I just said ok then and went and had a laugh in the kitchen. It's just bread and butter ffs! Lol never heard that one before.

How strange?! I wonder why she thought she couldn't have garlic bread?

I think it's really bad that so many people worry about eggs when pregnant. Almost all eggs in the UK are pasteurised and therefore safe - even if they are not fully cooked. I bet a lot of pregnant women miss out on essential protein because they are too scared to eat eggs.

I think it's really bad that so many people worry about eggs when pregnant. Almost all eggs in the UK are pasteurised and therefore safe - even if they are not fully cooked. I bet a lot of pregnant women miss out on essential protein because they are too scared to eat eggs.

Agree with you there! They are SUCH a good source of protein, and they are so safe when they are pasteurised, like you say. It was my chef (in my pub, not my personal chef, lol) who told me to stop worrying about them - he is seriously up on his food safety. I just ask him now, if I have any food questions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back