Too common??

naomi88

Reaction score
Hi ladies

I am team yellow and getting induced on the 12th so not long to go now!!

I've got a list of girls names that I'm pretty sure we will be able to pick from once we've seen her if she's a girl, but I'm starting to doubt my boys names.

The front runner is our favourite by a long way BUT it's a really common name. Typically I try to choose names outside of the top 20.... but our favourite is James which is well into the top 10. I don't personally know any james' young or old but am worried I'd end up regretting it if there's a load of james' in the same year at school? Our second choice is Cooper which is less common but we don't like it quite as much.

Wanted people's thoughts? And any other suggestions that we might like?

Thanks! Xxx

I really like James. None of my friends have called their children James either, in fact the youngest James I know is 18. There must be a few about but not that I've come across. I think it depends a bit on the area you live in as names do seem to go in trends.

I would also prefer to stay away from the more popular names, I hated having the same name as lots of other girls at school (and my name wasn't even top 100 at the time so we were just unlucky that there was a batch of us in that school!). So just shows you can go for something more unusual and still have lots about, or something more popular and hardly come across any others.

Haha very true!! I guess I will probably go with what fits and what we like and then if there's another one with the same name in their class it's not the end of the world... xx

I like them both but they are very different (from each other I mean..) I think if you really like James, you should go for it.. Don't worry too much about how common it is, I think it'll just be pot luck as to whether he has any in his class. I grew up with an endless amount of Katies and it was never a huge deal - I was always just Katie K. Good luck with the induction! x

I love Cooper it is beautiful buy you have to be comfortable with it

If it helps, as a teacher I can say I teach 3 James' and only 1 Cooper. All 3 James are lovely. Cooper is a lazy sod!

Hope that helps lol x

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Where I live there are hundreds of James''s lol still a nice name. We thought of our sons name about 6 years before we had him. By that time it grew in popularity and everyone was naming their kids that. I stuck to my guns though and named it him anyway and the way things fell he's the only one in his school with that name and I'm flabbergasted by it!

So just go with what your heart says x

Last edited:
My LG is called Emily but that is because we didn't know anyone called Emily or with children called Emily.

Just because a list says a name is common doesn't mean it is in your world. What is important is that it is a name you like and will always like.

My James doesn't know any other James' his age or older? Although I know loads of kids his age and older people with James as a middle name (OH included)

X

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Oh and James slipped to 11th in the 2015 ONS stats lol

X

My James doesn't know any other James' his age or older? Although I know loads of kids his age and older people with James as a middle name (OH included)

X

I agree with this. I was a bit disappointed that James was the most popular boys name of 2015 but I've yet to come across another one at baby groups etc. If it's your favourite you should use it xx

My LG is called Emily but that is because we didn't know anyone called Emily or with children called Emily.

Just because a list says a name is common doesn't mean it is in your world. What is important is that it is a name you like and will always like.

This is true, there aren't many James in my region..,or Coopers :) if you like it does it really matter how common it is?

I know of One james and two Coopers aged under 4.

Hey, Yeah I understand the dilemma.. I would advise to go with the name you love the most though!

Love James! It's my brother's name, and I don't know any others.

I think James is a nice name, that's my dad's name and my brother's name. :) But I don't know any young James. I do know a Cooper and the Cooper I know is lazy too! Hahahah! :lol:

Thanks for all the feedback! :)

I had my little boy on 13th September but have been useless at coming back on here so only just getting around to responding! Went with the name James in the end - middle name Grayson. The moment I saw him the name James just kind of fit and it felt very right :) and as many of you have said, despite the popularity it doesn't necessarily mean the name will be popular in our area. I am yet to meet another baby James and there are no james' at my daughters nursery.

Have no name regret whatsoever :) for anyone panicking about name choices just go with your gut when you meet him or her! Xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back