toddler & cutlery help!

Amy_J

Reaction score
lo is 15 months, almost 16, and after reading a few comments around the feeding area of the forum im feeling a bit :( and like a bad mummy as he still doesnt eat with his cutlery!

he is such a fussy eater, that just physically getting him to eat is hard work, he has on a rare occasion eaten pasta witha fork and gives up and uses his hands, otherwise i just spoon feed him. . . . . . i know some will look down on that....

can anyone give me tips or advice how to get him to eat with cutlery???? it usully ends up thrown on the floor and eands in him in tears!
id love him to be able to eat with it by the time he is 18 months.... so that gives me a two month challange.....

help!

Mealtimes and food are such an important part of children's development and I have seen issues arise in so many friends' children. I have always taken the approach that it's important to keep mealtimes as relaxed and fun as possible. Of course my daughter will get told off if she throws food on the floor etc but she is over two. The great thing is that your lo is eating the food you are giving him. As you said he's trying with cutlery but getting frustrated and also probably loving the reaction from you when he throws it on the floor.y daughter and all her friends will sometimes use hands to help with the cutlery. I don't remember any of them using forks that much at 15 months- I think they still preferred the plastic spoons. I would just let your lo start using cutlery more in his own time. Put the cutlery out and eat with h so he can watch with you. Encourage its use more on easier food ie fromage frais which sticks to the spoon but try not up react too much when he uses his hands too.y daughter didn't walk until she was 18 months and didn't really cruise before walking. People used to comment and my reply was always that she will get there when she's ready. As I said to them how many adults do you know who say "sorry I am not so good at walking as I started late!". The same aPplies to using cutlery. However many adults develop eating issues as child. Sorry longer post than plAnned. Hope my late night feeding rambling makes sense!

Just read it back and not meaning to say or imply that you are doing anything to create any eating issues. Hope ot doesnt come across like that. You are Doing a great job especially as he can use the fork at all. Just trying to say that to save the tears relax a bit- toddlers love getting reactions from their mummies especially winding us up x

Amy I was worrying about the same thing - lizzie hasn't got a clue what to do with the spoon - I give it to her with some yoghurt on and she either chews the wrong end or puts it down on the tray.
But what Kbex says makes a lot of sense and I'm not gonna worry about it too much any more, I'd rather mealtimes were chilled out and she learns to have a good relationship with food.

I am aiming to start giving her cutlery in the warmer weather when we can eat outside cos I think I'll be less concerned about her flicking food everywhere lol!

I've not got any advice other than keep offering the cutlery. LO will see you using yours so knows what its for.

I see it as the same as everything else they learn to do, they do it at their own pace.

AJ is 3 and only consistently uses his spoon. He can and will use a fork occasionally and likes to spread and try and cut with his knife. He prefers using his hands as he is a little fuss pot with eating and prefers finger food, so I feel its progress, but nothing to worry about.

Isla barely uses her spoon, shes just this week got the idea to dunk it back in a yogurt pot but doesn't get much on it. x

Zak will hardly let me feed him anymore, just breakfast n yoghurts. the rest of the time he feeds himself. He starts off with a fork or spoon bt ends up using his hands. i didnt try to get him to do this, just kind of did it off his own accord. Babies develop differently tho so dont worry. Like Zak isnt walking yet bt is advanced in other ways, so I dont worry. They will all get to the same stage in the end. xx

I really worried about this too and kept trying to get him to feed himself but he would miss his mouth then throw the spoon! I just kept trying and if ge threw the spoon I would feed him, but one day he just started doing it and gets really annoyed if I try and help! He started about a month ago, and is still very messy but getting the hang of it. He can't really use a fork yet. I think just keep trying and one day he will decide he wants to do it himself xxx

My lo is 15 months and loves to use his cutlery!! I just left him To it one day with some plain pasta and veg and he prefers a fork to stab food with and we praise him when he does it but try not to make too much of a fuss if he can't. We do tell him no when he puts food on the floor but most of the time he tries!!! We got him an oxo tot fork and spoon which is shaped for easier feeding for them and they seem to work!!!

Have only let Devon hold his spoon after his yoghurt! bad really, but mean to get one of those bowls with high sides and a curly spoon to start with, think there made by OXO, anyone tried one?

Don't worry about when baby does it, the fact your trying is brilliant - well done

oh hun im so glad you posted this i was literally about to make my own thread about it!! J is very similar. He has a fork and spoon every meal time and he picks then up rubs it round the plate and chucks it on the floor before eating with his hands. Occasionally if he has a yoghurt he dunks it in a bit and then takes throws it. If we put food on his fork/spoon he snatches the utensil out our hand and eats whats there and hands it bacck to us but he will not do it himself just thowrs it.

we were just gonna keep giving it to him. we figured hed get there eventually in his own time. ike someone aabove said, j is quite advanced with other things but slower on the knife and fork thing!!!!!!!! looking forward to hearing other replies and advice!! x

Jj mum I've got the oxo cutlery and high sided plate and it's really good but you have to turn the bowl around for lo to finish food theyve pushed as they cant see it!

Thanks for all the replies! Im just going to stick with spoon and fork feeding and let him play with his cutlery and like you all said, they shud get there in the end? When im back in the uk im going to get some of those oxo cutlery and bowls...where do u get them from?? Feeding time for me can be such a battle to actually get him to eat, i dont want extra stress with the cutlery lol......

Maybe we should update this thread in a few months and see how they are all doing!?

You can get them on amazon but I got mine from Lakeland and they were cheaper there!! Not sure about anywhere else though! The beaker/ cup looks good too but not tried it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back