To wean or not to wean

Franna75

Reaction score
I'd read recent posts and thought, i'm defo going to wait until six months for BLW; i'd got the book, t-shirt....then today, i'd made myself a banana smoothy and LO was watching me and shouting out...sooo....i thought i'd liquidize a bit of banana and "try" him to see if he wanted it.

He's already doubled his birth weight, almost 18lbs at 17 weeks and until today was breastfed only.

This is the result.....

http://youtu.be/_BXlTkXPXyo

The question is.....should i try again tomorrow with puree?? At one stage, i thought he was going to take my hand off :shock:

Aw, cute!!!!

It's up to you hon, but once you start on purees you can't go to only blw as hell be used to having his little belly full. I'm really enjoying blw and watching Arthur learn and get so great with his hands.

Xx

I thought you could mix the two. Like start introducing the finger foods etc when he reaches the 6months.

Oh yea, you can, but that's not really blw....I thi k they will still need to be fed purees as well, you couldn't just stop them...

Ahh how cute! What have you decided to do?

I was thinking about that as well, my lo doubled his weight at 15 weeks and now constantly watches me eat. However I wanted to hold off weaning so I can do BLW.

He seems to enjoy his banana, so cute!

I do traditional weaning, after 11 years in childcare it's the only way I know and has worked for all of the little ones i've helped to wean. Jack has his dinner (all home cooked food) and then has bits of what we have on his highchair tray afterwards. Wen he's 7mths i'm going to start giving him snacks like rice cakes and biscotti etc to get him used to using his hands to eat.

I have absolutely nothing against BLW, it's just not for us x

Without reading all the info on this - is there a reason that you specifically have to wait till 6months for BLW - i just had a quick nosey, and the bit i read said "children are developmentally able" - so wouldnt some children have hit these mile stones earlier??

xxx

I actually started at 5 1/2 months. I guess it's just a slower start! At 6 months babies can have anything (except honey) and so you are almost skipping the purée stage, which can be started at 4 months.

Claire, I also only knew about TW, and I first heard about blw at a client I was at when pregnant. I thought it sounded ridiculous. I was only like 5 months pregnant and weaning was the last thing on my mind. but I read up on it loads and did research and talked to other mums and made my choice that way. All my other nct friends are TW. It was a slow start for us, but it's amazing now. I also have to say, I don't believe that it makes less fussy eaters than TW babies, I believe that is up to the parents in a lot of ways (no offence intended to anyone - what I mean is if ou have a fussy eater I dot believe its due to TW) my brothers and I were TW and we are all foodies ad eat anything!

Without reading all the info on this - is there a reason that you specifically have to wait till 6months for BLW - i just had a quick nosey, and the bit i read said "children are developmentally able" - so wouldnt some children have hit these mile stones earlier??

xxx

I think one of the BLW theories is "food is fun until one" and their main source of nutrition is still milk. You normally need to wait until about 6 months as the baby has to have some hand to mouth coordination and be sitting up, most babies arnt doing these things confidently until then. Also it is to give their tummies time to develop so all food can be accepted. This site offers good information if you want to read more http://www.rapleyweaning.com/

Hey, I think I'm going to totally TW with Caleb. I've got nothing against BLW but I don't think it's for me. Caleb is 3 months today and milk isn't enough for him as it is, he has some 4m+ porridge with fruit puree etc now once a day, can't get enough milk inside him, so the idea of food being fun and milk still being his main source of food wouldn't work for us long term. When he gets to 6 months he can have finger foods so he can learn more. When he gets to 4 months I'm going to start him on pureed normal food.

That video is so cute! He's gorgeous! If you think purees are what he wants, and I think it looks like that's the case, then go for it! xx

Yes they do say food before one is for fun, but my lo is blw and he's eating eating eating! It's def going in bc his nappies Ming now! X

Hi girls - thanks for all your advice. I'm still not sure what i should do. As you can see, Thomas nearly took my hand off, and when i tried him again three days later, it was the same, but he took the spoon, put it in his mouth and when he'd had enough, moved it away.

I dont want to start him too early, but last night he was up every other hour on the "milk mountain". Its such a difficult choice. I reckon i'll keep giving him a few tastes now and again...oh and hmmmm didnt like the nappy afterwards so maybe i wont try!

Thanks all for watching the vid....xx

I am not sure, but arent you suppised to start with baby rice and then add fruit? Good luck whatever you decide, maybe chat with a HV?

sent from my Galaxy s2

that's the same link that I pasted on a thread a few weeks ago - personally I would steer well clear xx

that's the same link that I pasted on a thread a few weeks ago - personally I would steer well clear xx

I couldnt remember who posted what - i just googled for that one - but most of it makes sense.

I will be holding off for blw but didnt know baby rice was bad, shocking really.
Well my dh was weaned at 8 weeks on chocolate baby cereal,explains the allergies

I am not sure, but arent you suppised to start with baby rice and then add fruit? Good luck whatever you decide, maybe chat with a HV?

sent from my Galaxy s2

Theres a lot of debate on baby rice - some people recommend you steer completely clear of it, for various reasons - basically theres nota lot of benefit to it.

http://www.analyticalarmadillo.co.uk/2011/12/nine-good-reasons-not-to-use-baby-rice.html

thats just one site that explains some of it. xxx

Thanks for the link, very interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back