To test again.....or not to test again....

Discussion in 'Trying to Conceive' started by cristie_gce, Jul 27, 2005.

1. cristie_gce

cristie_gce Well-Known Member

Hello,
    It's me again! Many of you may already know my situation through reading my other posts, but here goes for the rest. I am 5 days late for AF and I had a BFN on Monday ($1 test form dollar general). I haven't tested any more since. I having been having pains in my stomach which feel kinda like period pains, but no sign or even spot from AF. I have had waves of sickness the past week, but no sore boobs. Quite moody. Should I test again or wait longer?? I took a vacation this month and returned right around O, so I was really hoping this would be the month, b/c my vaca helped me totally relax. Is this finally my month?? I am seriously contemplating going right after work and buying an HPT (better than the $1 one). What do you think??? :shock:

2. Rachael

Rachael Well-Known Member

Hiya Christie

I would definitely test again if I were you.

Generally in stores, the cheaper the HPT, the less sensitive the test is. At a dollar I'm guessing the sensitivity would be around 500iu, which would not have been sensitive enough to show up a positive at 17 days past ovulation. At 17 DPO, the average HCG level is 132 mIU/ml, with a typical range of 17-429 mIU/ml therefore even if you are pregnant, it would not have shown when you tested Monday.

At 5 days late, you shoud be getting HCG levels at at least 100, so try and get a HPT that detects HCG as low as 100.

Best of luck!

3. Guest

Wow girly does sound like this could be your month! Let us know how you get one - hurry up and do that test :)

4. cristie_gce

Thanks for the responses. Actually, I went to the store near my house to buy another test, but they were out of the more sensitive ones and only had the $1 ones. I bought another dollar one. :oops: couldn't help the desire to test. It was (-), but then all of the dye ran back down and turned the whole thing pink...so I am guessing maybe it was inaccurate. I think I am going to run to Wal-Mart and get a more sensitive one. Or should I wait until this weekend??? I hate to keep wasting money on expensive test if I'm not pg. I am feeling really sick at my stomach this morning. I can't tell you how depressed I am feeling...I want this so bad. :cry: :cry: I think I am going now.

5. cristie_gce

:cry: :cry: :cry: BFN (this time with a "4 days before your missed period" test. :cry: :cry: :cry:

6. Guest

Keep waiting - try getting a pack with 2 in and then test first thing in the morning when the HCG is strongest. (The first wee of the day).

It's defintely worth the money sweetie. Some people don't get a positive for days! My mate didn't get one for 2 weeks! :shock:

7. cristie_gce

Thank you for the encouragment. I did buy one with two in it. I'll probably save the other until Monday. I don't want to go through another BFN this cycle. I'll let you all know. Thanks again.

8. Tara & Liam

Tara & Liam Well-Known Member

Hi honey

Dont be disheartened. I did not get a positive on a test until two weeks after my period was due. Just wait a while and try to relax. fingers crossed for a BFP.

xx

9. cristie_gce

:( Thank you for that. I took a "Answer" test Saturday morning and it was BFN. Right now I am breaking out really bad (I don't usually do it this much before AF) and I feel really bloated and uncomfortable. I have been having heartburn and headaches. This could be AF coming on. It will probably be a long while before I allow myself to test again. If she's coming, I just wish she'd get here and get it over with. Keep you fingers crossed for me! :wink:

10. Tara & Liam

Tara & Liam Well-Known Member

keep in touch

xx

11. cristie_gce

Well, I have made an appt with the OB/GYN for today at 3:00. Hoping for a miracle. At least either way I'll know what is going on w/ my body. :?

12. Guest

How did you get on hun? x

13. ToriElla

ToriElla Well-Known Member

did you find out what is happening?

Vicky x