To tell or not to tell!

Blueflower

Reaction score
I’m not sure whether to tell my manager about our fertility treatment. I’ve managed to have all the tests so far without specifically telling her what they are for, just ticked the ‘gynaecological/other’ box! If we have IVF I will need to tell her, that’s fine, a colleague had it last year and got a few weeks off work for all the treatment, scans, blood tests etc.

If we have IUI I’m not sure if I would get away with just saying it’s another gynaecological appointment. When I spoke to the nurse she said that even if we just start with clomid and ‘sex at home’ I will need to go in to the clinic every other day for 6-8 days to have follicle scans and blood tests!

I’m sure she’d be fine about it but I’m worried she’d say that I couldn’t take the time as sick leave. I’m also not keen on it being plastered over my records.

What have other people done?

I told my boss who was really good. However our policy states that it's like standard appointments and time must be made up. She was ready flexible and let me take time at the last minute but I either made up scan time by having scans in the morning and working late or took full days off as annual leave

Well I've not had much of a problem because I work afternoons but for the ivf my doc signed me off no problem so I think that's deffo an option x

On my first go I didn't tell. Used anual leave and docs appointments for egg retrieval and embryo transfer I said I was having an operation so just had a week off and the. It was the Easter long weekend.

Next time round if I go again think ill just tell them - not sure if I will get paid time off or what but I don't want to use all my annual leave as I now only have 3 days for the rest of this year!

M x

I told my boss & HR manager about the IVF and they were very understanding I took the scans off and made the time up during working hours. The full days for hysteroscopy etc I took off as a medical procedure and was paid. The dr signed me off for 2 weeks after EC.
We will do a FET when we are ready and I'll prob take holidays depending on what work say.
Good luck x

That's a shame you had to make up the time ScotchEgg. That's a good idea Moley, I might say its another operation. My boss will start to think I'm seriously ill or something!

So far I've been really vague about "medical procedures". I don't want to tell myboss unless I absolutely have to but I'm worried she's going to think I have cancer or something!

For all my appointments ive booked annual leave (luckily I'm not having a proper holiday) and I have my 3rd IuI In Sept so ill be booking time off for that too, then if we need IVF ill tell my manager. I'm considering asking to be signed off when we have IuI as I really get stressy and can't switch off.....but feel like a whimp for wanting to ask! xxxx

Boss asked me to go and buy a maternity leave card for my colleague today (the one who didn't want kids when we'd been trying for a year and then when she changed her mind, got pregnant really quickly!) I'm sure if my manager knew my situation she would have realized how insensitive it was to ask me! :shock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back